Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 AM   #1

On Board Propane Leak - 2015 Forest River Forester 2861DS

Need your advise/help folks. We are on our first day of our 24 day road trip and we have already encountered 2 major issues. I hope the more experienced owners can give me sound advise on what to do or hiw to fix the issues. I want the famiy to enjoy the trip.

Isuue #1: Propane Leak. We left Las Vegas with full tank of propane. It was about 112 degrees when we hit the road. About 20 miles on the trip, I stopped by Camping World Las Vegas to pick up some items. As soon as I stepped out, I smelled propane. I looked at the propane tank and I heard a hissing sound and saw gas coming out from the bottom of the tank (looked like a hole with some thread). I asked the sales rep inside for help. They told me it was the blow off valve. Since my tank was full, it expand and the valve did what it was supposed to do. I was told that it will shut off by itself once the tank cooled down and the pressure go down. I was tild it was OK to run my refrigerator with propane. We just stopped after 300 miles. The hissing sound was gone. No visible gas coming out of the valve. However, I still smell gas from the other side of the RV. It was coming somewhere underneath the RV. I was thinking that the pressure of the gas was sommuch, that some of the gas pipe fittings came loose. When I turned off the tank, it took about 5mins before the smell went away. Is this something I can fix myself on the road? Orndo I need to call for a service tech when we get to our first campground?

Issue #2: Generator will not start after I noticed the propane leak. It did start before the stary of the trip this morning. Then I turned it off when we were about to leave. When it got too hot inside the RV, I have decided to start the generator to run AC. It wont start anymore. Gave me 3 blinking lights, which meant Need Service or something like that. Does this generator problem have anything to do or is connected to the propane leak problem?

Need your advise folks. Please...
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
Need your advise/help folks. We are on our first day of our 24 day road trip and we have already encountered 2 major issues. I hope the more experienced owners can give me sound advise on what to do or hiw to fix the issues. I want the famiy to enjoy the trip.

Isuue #1: Propane Leak. We left Las Vegas with full tank of propane. It was about 112 degrees when we hit the road. About 20 miles on the trip, I stopped by Camping World Las Vegas to pick up some items. As soon as I stepped out, I smelled propane. I looked at the propane tank and I heard a hissing sound and saw gas coming out from the bottom of the tank (looked like a hole with some thread). I asked the sales rep inside for help. They told me it was the blow off valve. Since my tank was full, it expand and the valve did what it was supposed to do. I was told that it will shut off by itself once the tank cooled down and the pressure go down. I was tild it was OK to run my refrigerator with propane. We just stopped after 300 miles. The hissing sound was gone. No visible gas coming out of the valve. However, I still smell gas from the other side of the RV. It was coming somewhere underneath the RV. I was thinking that the pressure of the gas was sommuch, that some of the gas pipe fittings came loose. When I turned off the tank, it took about 5mins before the smell went away. Is this something I can fix myself on the road? Orndo I need to call for a service tech when we get to our first campground?

Issue #2: Generator will not start after I noticed the propane leak. It did start before the stary of the trip this morning. Then I turned it off when we were about to leave. When it got too hot inside the RV, I have decided to start the generator to run AC. It wont start anymore. Gave me 3 blinking lights, which meant Need Service or something like that. Does this generator problem have anything to do or is connected to the propane leak problem?

Need your advise folks. Please...
The generator has nothing to do with the propane and should run as long as you have at least 1/4 tank of gas. As far as the propane, shut off the valve and have it looked at. There are too many possibilities. 80% is considered full in the propane industry which shows on the propane tank itself, not the monitor panel.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

The actual vent valve should be close to the fill valve and look like a square valve with a slot in it for a screwdriver, If the person filling your tank did not close that valve after filling you will leak propane, check that and ensure it is closed, does not need to be tight just snug to prevent propane from leaking. X2 with the generator check your house batteries for full charge.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, forester, leak, propane