Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Pilot light will not remain lit

Hello, 2002 Shamrock. The pilot light on my Suburban water heater suddenly will not stay lit. It will remain Lit for 30 seconds or so but will then go out. There is gas in tanks. Any ideas. Everything else works with the propane. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
ohhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhimself View Post
Hello, 2002 Shamrock. The pilot light on my Suburban water heater suddenly will not stay lit. It will remain Lit for 30 seconds or so but will then go out. There is gas in tanks. Any ideas. Everything else works with the propane. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Your water heater is working as advertised. The light is not an "ON" light; it is a "calling for heat" light and a "flame never lit" warning light.

Calling for heat - water cold; light comes on; then fire lights; light goes out.

Calling for heat - water cold; light comes on; NO FIRE; light stays on; water heater tries again (3 times total); Heater fails; light stays on until you reset it by turning OFF water heater.

If your light takes more than 10-15 seconds to go out, your heater is struggling to light. Something could be wrong that is causing unreliable ignition. Bug nests in flue is the usual suspect; though improper air shutter for altitude; dirty nozzle; or bad spark electrode/gap could also cause long "light" times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSI Sequence.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	56632   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSI explained.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	56633  
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Your water heater is working as advertised. The light is not an "ON" light; it is a "calling for heat" light and a "flame never lit" warning light.

Calling for heat - water cold; light comes on; then fire lights; light goes out.

Calling for heat - water cold; light comes on; NO FIRE; light stays on; water heater tries again (3 times total); Heater fails; light stays on until you reset it by turning OFF water heater.

If your light takes more than 10-15 seconds to go out, your heater is struggling to light. Something could be wrong that is causing unreliable ignition. Bug nests in flue is the usual suspect; though improper air shutter for altitude; dirty nozzle; or bad spark electrode/gap could also cause long "light" times.
He might actually have a "pilot light" in the heater as it is a 2002 model....might not be DSI?
__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks for the reply but mine is your basic need to go out and hand start with lighter. No ignition model. It seems to stay on for a brief period then go out. : (


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
ohhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhimself View Post
Thanks for the reply but mine is your basic need to go out and hand start with lighter. No ignition model. It seems to stay on for a brief period then go out.
Get your wh manual out and check for the dimensions of the thermocouple. It might not be properly located or defective.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhimself View Post
Thanks for the reply but mine is your basic need to go out and hand start with lighter. No ignition model. It seems to stay on for a brief period then go out. : (


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SO sorry!

Several things can cause this.

Low propane pressure - Out of/low propane or the tank valve pigtail safety may be closed or partially closed. Turn off the propane; wait 3 minutes; CRACK the valve and SLOWLY open it allowing the lines to fill. Light your range burners till they light and the flames are blue and stand tall on high.

Water heater Regulator

Reignitor module (if equipped) or control panel issue (depending on model).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reignitor module.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	56641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reignitor module for Gas Only Water Heaters.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	56642   Click image for larger version

Name:	SW10P.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	56644  
Attached Images
 
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban_Water_Heater_Service_Manual.pdf (3.60 MB, 31 views)
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Mine is the last picture. Thanks. I will try your suggestions and let you know.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
ohhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.