Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #1

Pop Up Furnace Question

I have a question concerning a 2013 Flagstaff Pop Up T12RB. How many BTU's is the furnace? I read somewhere on here that it is a 10,000 BTU unit but I could have sworn that the "walk through" I received when I picked up the camper that I was told 20,000 BTU's. No where in the manual, at least I couldn't find it, does it say how many BTU's the furnace is. Can someone with a similar unit help?
Thanks,
Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
I have a question concerning a 2013 Flagstaff Pop Up T12RB. How many BTU's is the furnace? I read somewhere on here that it is a 10,000 BTU unit but I could have sworn that the "walk through" I received when I picked up the camper that I was told 20,000 BTU's. No where in the manual, at least I couldn't find it, does it say how many BTU's the furnace is. Can someone with a similar unit help?
Thanks,
Jim
Did you get any paper work on the equipment installed on your pop-up?

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Professional Texan

I did a little Internet search and found a dealer with you model for sale and it stated that the furnace was 20,000 btu's also the Forest River website for you model states that the 20,000 btu furnace is an option for you model. (No other size mentioned) So I would guess that it is a 20,000 btu furnace.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Link to Flagstaff specs:
Flagstaff Tent Pop Up Camper Features / Options by Forest River

Standard is 10k BTU Cool Cat Heat Pump
Opton is 20k BTU Forced Air Furnace w/ Electric Ignition

If you have access to the furnace it should state size on ID plate along with model & seriel #'s.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Link to Flagstaff specs:
Flagstaff Tent Pop Up Camper Features / Options by Forest River

Standard is 10k BTU Cool Cat Heat Pump
Opton is 20k BTU Forced Air Furnace w/ Electric Ignition

If you have access to the furnace it should state size on ID plate along with model & seriel #'s.
There is a lot of difference between a heat pump and a forced air furnace. One big difference is that one burns propane and the other used 110v electricity.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
There is a lot of difference between a heat pump and a forced air furnace. One big difference is that one burns propane and the other used 110v electricity.
I'm well aware there is a difference Bob. I'm just sayin what the spec sheet lists.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Jim, If they discussed it on your walkthru, you prob have both. As Wiscampsin and TexasBob mentioned, the furnace is an option. As many FR A Frame owners delightfully discovered, even most options came with their unit (such as screen room, CO2 detector, 20k BTU furnace, power front jack) Mine had it all. My friend just bought the 2013 Rockwood model like mine and hers additionally came with the Fastaway Flip Jack...pretty neat little contraption, I want one of those! LOL

Your furnace should be located in your dining area, on the fridge side bench, next to your converter.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Jim, If they discussed it on your walkthru, you prob have both. As Wiscampsin and TexasBob mentioned, the furnace is an option. As many FR A Frame owners delightfully discovered, even most options came with their unit (such as screen room, CO2 detector, 20k BTU furnace, power front jack) Mine had it all. My friend just bought the 2013 Rockwood model like mine and hers additionally came with the Fastaway Flip Jack...pretty neat little contraption, I want one of those! LOL

Your furnace should be located in your dining area, on the fridge side bench, next to your converter.
The Dometic control panel, located just inside the door next to the radio/CD player, has an LCD panel with Fan, Cool, Furnace and Heat Pump options. There is not a model number listed on the unit. My manual lists 3 models but which one is installed? The manual makes no reference to propane. It also makes no reference to BTU's for either the heat or air conditioning. I thought I remembered the dealer tell me that if I'm plugged into 30 amp service, all I have to do is select what ever mode I want, heat or A/C, and the unit will cycle on and off to maintain a constant temperature to what ever I have the thermostat set at. If the Furnace setting needs to have propane, the manual does not mention it. Unfortunately, the manual is not very explicit. I believe the furnace/heat pump unit is under the bed. But now that my post is in the right place, I know someone will come to my rescue as I know a few of you have the same model camper as I do, although they do change things from year to year.
Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it.
Jim
Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #9

If you unit has a furnace it will have an exhaust outlet on the out side of the camper directly behind the furnace. It will be a chrome piece about 4-5 inches long with HOT stamped on it. Not to be confused with the hwh exhaust.
Me and my wife with 3 kids love camping!!
dmf564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #10

Jim, I went and looked at mine.

Your Cool Cat is under your bed. Your furnace is where you dine, the black vented cover next to the fridge. The controls for both are on all in one control panel inside the left hand side of the doorway (as you enter the trailer)

From inside your trailer, look to the right of your fridge, you will see the black vented cover. Bend or lay down and flash a light inside the vent opening. You should be able to find the sticker with the model # on the right hand bottom corner (as you are facing it) You might need to remove the cover but I was able to see it laying on my stomach, with a flashlight pointed in that bottom right corner, thru the vents. Mine has the NT-2OSE model. Hopes this helps?

Dont feel bad, my trailer manual is minimal, the supplied paperwork on the Suburban furnace is mostly on installation and how the furnace works, but details of what is installed and BTU is on the sticker on the unit. Its been a tad frustrating to have to individually search for more info on the appliances. LOL - On my first trip out, I reluctantly admit that I couldnt even operate the microwave correctly!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Jim, I went and looked at mine.

Your Cool Cat is under your bed. Your furnace is where you dine, the black vented cover next to the fridge. The controls for both are on all in one control panel inside the left hand side of the doorway (as you enter the trailer)

From inside your trailer, look to the right of your fridge, you will see the black vented cover. Bend or lay down and flash a light inside the vent opening. You should be able to find the sticker with the model # on the right hand bottom corner (as you are facing it) You might need to remove the cover but I was able to see it laying on my stomach, with a flashlight pointed in that bottom right corner, thru the vents. Mine has the NT-2OSE model. Hopes this helps?

Dont feel bad, my trailer manual is minimal, the supplied paperwork on the Suburban furnace is mostly on installation and how the furnace works, but details of what is installed and BTU is on the sticker on the unit. Its been a tad frustrating to have to individually search for more info on the appliances. LOL - On my first trip out, I reluctantly admit that I couldnt even operate the microwave correctly!
Handbuilder:
I will do that today since it looks like it may be a little warmer. It's been so cold here that I have to get bundled up just to go outside let alone work on the camper. Also, dmf564's remark about looking for an outside vent for a furnace. There is no outside vent meaning the unit just has a heat pump. I know the round black vent under the dinette you're referring to. I will examine it today and if necessary, remove the cover to get the serial number and the BTU's.

The control panel just inside the door is probably a generic controller and is installed on all units whether they have a furnace or not. (The manual even shows a heat strip setting which is not shown on the actual controller.) One size fits all! But I was surprised that the BTU's is not listed in the manual. That's an important piece of information. It's probably cheaper for Forest River to print one manual, whether it has all the devices or not, and pack it with the camper. (In my FR camper manual, there is a whole section on how to put up and take down a canvas sided unit.)

I'm glad my unit has a heat pump as I always camp where there is shore power and that will save me from using up propane. The propane can now be used for just the stove, hot water heater and grill.

I really thank all you folks for coming to my rescue. (I kinda got myself in trouble with posting my initial question in the wrong place and was quickly reprimanded and I thought I might have a problem with people helping me out. But as it turns out, everyone was very understanding and put me on the right track.)

I can't thank you folks enough. I sure hope I meet up with some of you one day. The first beer is on me!

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #12

You're welcome, Jim!

You might consider asking your A Frame questions to the A Frame sub section, as (since you were hoping to hear from) specific owners would be found there. Our trailers are still pretty new to the FR family & seems like the A Frame owners are always busy comparing notes and combining knowledge to apply to these unique trailers.

Tamara

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:

Handbuilder:
Thanks for all your help. I took the cover off and the description is it's a 19,000 BTU furnace. Model # NT20SEQ, so I sent a list of questions off to the dealer asking him to explain the various features, (Heat pump, furnace, exhaust vent, A/C etc.)
Thanks again for your help.
Jim