Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Site Team

Portable generator inside tt for transport

I'm placing this post here for the propane enthusiast to address. A friend is looking to haul a portable gen/inverter inside the door of his tt while vacationing. Has a concern about gas fumes and the fridge running on propane with the open flame behind the fridge.
Dangerous? What's your thoughts and experience?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

When we had our hybrid TT, I put my 1000/800W generator in the bathroom tub and had the vent open. Bathroom was right next to the refrigerator. Towed it thousands of miles that way with the refrigerator running on propane.

Honestly, I never really thought about it. I would think a lot of things could go sideways while traveling long before that would be a concern for me.
But that is me.
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

There are certain things that do not go inside my TT. Generator, spare gas, propane tanks, sewer hoses etc. That stuff goes in the back of my truck.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

A little confused by your post. My generator RUNS on propane and creates electricity.

Never run the generator inside your trailer. I assume you just want to haul it in there? I do it all the time only because my generator runs on PROPANE and has never been exposed to GASOLINE. I even haul the closed propane tank in a forward compartment of the trailer. From my understanding the thing you need to be aware of is the tanks have an emergency bleed on them should the pressure in the tank become too high. Make sure you don't overfill the tanks, or keep a window cracked in case it bleeds off. I usually open the trailer up evertime I stop just to check that things are okay.

It's also pretty easy to keep the fridge turned off. If you chill everything and get the fridge cold before you go, you can turn it off and it should hold temperature pretty good for about 3-4 hours as long as you don't go in and out of it often.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post

From my understanding the thing you need to be aware of is the tanks have an emergency bleed on them should the pressure in the tank become too high. Make sure you don't overfill the tanks, or keep a window cracked in case it bleeds off. I usually open the trailer up evertime I stop just to check that things are okay.
I don't trust the green 1 lb bottles too much. I had an old one on the shelf in my shop and it was sitting next to a south facing metal wall. In hindsight I should have properly disposed of it. I noticed once that it seemed to be bulging on each side of the center horizontal seam but unfortunately ignored it. Grandson heard a load explosion outside one day. The bottle had blew up and blew a hole through my metal building, part of it bounced back against my fifth wheel and damaged the finish on a belly door. The can was split in two major jagged pieces. Had it blew up in my hand the day I picked it up to look at the bulge, it would have at the very least taken my hand off.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I'm placing this post here for the propane enthusiast to address. A friend is looking to haul a portable gen/inverter inside the door of his tt while vacationing. Has a concern about gas fumes and the fridge running on propane with the open flame behind the fridge.
Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will float on the floor. Toy haulers have side vents to allow the fumes to escape. Not so in a TT. Placing the gennie in the shower will allow the fumes to fill the gray tank. Probably not a good idea.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #7

So I think I misread what you wrote or you weren't clear. By "gas" do you mean propane gas? or gasoline?

My generator runs on both, and I've NEVER put GASOLINE in the tank. I only run it on propane. I did this so it would not stink up the coach. So please realize this when reading my reply. If you meant gasoline, I don't think I would store the genny in the coach if it had gasoline in it ever.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Properly vented this is not an issue at all. I have a SMALL toy hauler (17RP) and would not hesitate to haul fuel of just about any kind inside with the fridge running on propane. open the bathroom vent or a window and dont worry about it. you need the proper ratio of fuel and oxygen to get things to go boom. plus the flame for the fridge is outside.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #9

I think the only issue you'll have if we're talking gasoline is the smell. The wife and family may not like it or may make then quesy if the smell get's into the fabrics and finishes of the coach.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
I store my 2000 w champion in my front compartment . it's gas and always shut gas valve off and let it run till it dies and also turn off gas cap vent . never any smells or problems . the fridges propane burner is on the back side of fridge and pretty sealed off from the front of the unit . i'm sure your friend would be fine
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

If you get fumes from the generator then the answer is no. Mine has a vent that on the fuel cap that must be open to run & keeps the fumes in the tank even on a hot beach 🏖 day. You do need to leave some room for expansion when filling the tank. Filled to the brim is over filled and your TT is going to smell like a gas station.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
It isn't an open flame on an LP fridge and isn't even connected to inside. Ignition takes place inside the reaction heat exchanger chamber, and then it isn't much flame. Road for 20 years with a problem. Manf rep told us it was safe and approved to operate that way.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

As a retired safety inspector I would never even consider doing this. Ya you may get by for years but it only takes once to see a bad accident. I use to investigate a lot of different types of accidents and folks think it can never happen. Murphys law will bite. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #14

What your friend wants to do makes a good argument for a Dual Fuel generator/inverter. Run it on propane and when ready to store inside just disconnect LPG regulator and tank. No gasoline or LPG fumes as there's no fuel present.

Just carry the propane tank in tow vehicle's bed or mounted on a storage bracket/platform on rear bumper. Lots of options for rear bumpers including reinforcing bumper mount to carry the extra weight of 20# tank or two (60# to 120# est).

My Champion will run well over 30 hours while charging batteries on propane and an occasional use of the microwave.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #15

The refrigerator flame is on the outside of the trailer and should not have any ability to ignite fumes inside the trailer.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #16

Portable generator inside tt for transport

I might add...

Run the generator out of fuel before storing or at a minimum turn off fuel and run till carb is empty. I might be tempted to put in a container if possible or set on a pee pad type deal, but I wouldn’t be scared of anything but the smell and possible mess.

You know what they said on that race movie.... What’s behind me does not matter.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #17

Quote:

Think about a toy hauler trailers. ATV generators other gas engines in the back of open garage toy haulers. No difference.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #18

An LP generator has no residual fumes, volatile gases left after shut down and tank disconnected. Traveling with an LP gen that has never had gasoline in the tank should be as inert as a new generator still in the box. Only thing to consider is the weight and where you are placing that weight in your rig.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
No problem, do it.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #20
Retired Old Fart

Why not just put it in the bed of the truck?

I've been doing that with my Honda EU's for years. I have a Leer cap and dark tinted windows on the Leer so you can't see them, plus they are cable locked to slow theft as much as possible. I just crack the side vents on the Leer for cross flow of air, for extra safety, but never have noticed any fumes.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, sport