Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
A little confused by your post. My generator RUNS on propane and creates electricity.

Never run the generator inside your trailer. I assume you just want to haul it in there? I do it all the time only because my generator runs on PROPANE and has never been exposed to GASOLINE. I even haul the closed propane tank in a forward compartment of the trailer. From my understanding the thing you need to be aware of is the tanks have an emergency bleed on them should the pressure in the tank become too high. Make sure you don't overfill the tanks, or keep a window cracked in case it bleeds off. I usually open the trailer up evertime I stop just to check that things are okay.

It's also pretty easy to keep the fridge turned off. If you chill everything and get the fridge cold before you go, you can turn it off and it should hold temperature pretty good for about 3-4 hours as long as you don't go in and out of it often.

Gasoline generator, Hauled in travel Trailer. Fridge is running on propane, meaning there is an open flame behind the fridge. Concern is could gas fumes build up inside travel trailer and be ignited by the flame behind fridge. Sorry it wasn't clear.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
So I think I misread what you wrote or you weren't clear. By "gas" do you mean propane gas? or gasoline?

My generator runs on both, and I've NEVER put GASOLINE in the tank. I only run it on propane. I did this so it would not stink up the coach. So please realize this when reading my reply. If you meant gasoline, I don't think I would store the genny in the coach if it had gasoline in it ever.
Yes, I meant GAS, as opposed to LP or diesel.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
It isn't an open flame on an LP fridge and isn't even connected to inside. Ignition takes place inside the reaction heat exchanger chamber, and then it isn't much flame. Road for 20 years with a problem. Manf rep told us it was safe and approved to operate that way.
So are you saying that your Manufacturer Rep said that carrying a gasoline generator inside the travel trailer is Safe and Approved?

Old 05-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Why not just put it in the bed of the truck?

I've been doing that with my Honda EU's for years. I have a Leer cap and dark tinted windows on the Leer so you can't see them, plus they are cable locked to slow theft as much as possible. I just crack the side vents on the Leer for cross flow of air, for extra safety, but never have noticed any fumes.
The truck bed is taken up by 2 scooters (senior citizens)
Rear bumper has spare tire and Wastewater tote.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Think about a toy hauler trailers. ATV generators other gas engines in the back of open garage toy haulers. No difference.
Definitely a difference. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and toy haulers have special venting to accommodate this. RVIA has adopted NFPA 1192 Standard for RVs. Section 6.4.7.3 has several rules for transporting internal combustion engines in Sport Utility RVs. There are special requirements for forward upper and rearward lower venting. There are also special requirements for range and oven pilot lights when used in toy haulers.

I would imagine many, if not most states mandate that RVs comply with NFPA 1192. I know California does. There are also state and local laws regulating the transportation of fuel in closed areas.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
Definitely a difference. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and toy haulers have special venting to accommodate this. RVIA has adopted NFPA 1192 Standard for RVs. Section 6.4.7.3 has several rules for transporting internal combustion engines in Sport Utility RVs. There are special requirements for forward upper and rearward lower venting. There are also special requirements for range and oven pilot lights when used in toy haulers.

I would imagine many, if not most states mandate that RVs comply with NFPA 1192. I know California does. There are also state and local laws regulating the transportation of fuel in closed areas.

So there you have it. Punch a few holes in the floor and you're good to go!
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:05 AM   #27

I would try my best to get a scooter in the TT and the genny in the truck.
If that couldn't happen, I would run the genny dry of gas, turn off the fuel line after it died and put it in the bathroom with the door shut and the vent fan on during the drive.

Might be over cautious but I'd feel like I was good at that point.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #28
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
There are certain things that do not go inside my TT. Generator, spare gas, propane tanks, sewer hoses etc. That stuff goes in the back of my truck.
Amen. You wouldn't bring it into your home kitchen or bathroom, so why do it in your RV?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #29

I did it..... ONCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I'm placing this post here for the propane enthusiast to address. A friend is looking to haul a portable gen/inverter inside the door of his tt while vacationing. Has a concern about gas fumes and the fridge running on propane with the open flame behind the fridge.
Dangerous? What's your thoughts and experience?
I didn't put mine in living area og rig. I decided it would be smart to put them in the underbelly. BIG mistake. Fumes are overwhelming when I opened it up.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
There are certain things that do not go inside my TT. Generator, spare gas, propane tanks, sewer hoses etc. That stuff goes in the back of my truck.

All of what you quoted goes in the basement of my Cedar Creek. I store two Honda’s there but I have never thought about running them in the basement. I had never thought about a dual fuel generator running in my basement. When I had a propane refrigerator it stayed on all the time. A dual fuel generator might be a cheap way to power my camper when I’m going from one campground to another. I’ll have to look at that
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #31

Never thought about it either. Guess my toyhauler is useless since all my toys always have gas in them when traveling. Ticking time bomb from what some of y'all have said.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsItFast View Post
Never thought about it either. Guess my toyhauler is useless since all my toys always have gas in them when traveling. Ticking time bomb from what some of y'all have said.
I'll take it you didn't read post 25. Toy haulers have special design features that tt's don't have in order to transport internal combustion engines. There are many more differences that I didn't mention in my post.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:03 AM   #33
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsItFast View Post

That's like saying there is no difference between storing gas in my garage vs in my living room.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #34
RV There Yet?

Quote:
I'll take it you didn't read post 25. Toy haulers have special design features that tt's don't have in order to transport internal combustion engines. There are many more differences that I didn't mention in my post.
before this gets way out of hand: this really isnt true at all. the "special designs" that my toy hauler has are two vents, one on the drivers side about shoulder high, and one on the drivers side, about waist high. the vents can be tipped either forward or backward. thats it, no in floor venting, no special holes, fans, etc.

really, the end user should just try it and see. the real fear is the smell, not so much the amount of combustible fuel vapor venting off inside. Just about all fuel caps are vented to atmosphere, or you would create a vacuum in the tank, and it wouldnt run for very long. your lawnmower is the exact same way. how many of us go out to our garage/storage shed and complain of the noxious smell of gasoline? or do you never give it a second thought because its just not there?

install a fuel shutoff (if it doesnt have one) and run the carb out of fuel before storing it for travel. open a window or vent and head out!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
before this gets way out of hand: this really isnt true at all. the "special designs" that my toy hauler has are two vents, one on the drivers side about shoulder high, and one on the drivers side, about waist high. the vents can be tipped either forward or backward. thats it, no in floor venting, no special holes, fans, etc.
Where did I mention in-floor venting, special holes, or fans? In fact, you can't have vents or holes in the floor of the living area if the RV has a combustion engine (i.e., motorhome or tt generator).

Before making statements such as "this really isn't true at all" I suggest you obtain NFPA 1192 Standards for RV's - 2018. Again, there's more involved that you can't readily see than just adding a couple of vents.

This is a life/safety issue and I certainly wouldn't advise anybody to ". . . just try it and see. The real fear is the smell, not so much the amount of combustible fuel vapor venting off inside".
Old 05-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Geez folks... no one ever suggested RUNNING the generator in the R/V.
They simply want to HAUL it in there.

Depending on the generator....

Some have multiple fuel/gas cap shutoff's to keep the gasoline fumes contained, some don't.

Until we know what brand of generator, there could be many answers.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Geez folks... no one ever suggested RUNNING the generator in the R/V.
They simply want to HAUL it in there.
Who suggested RUNNING a generator in an RV? The RVIA and NFPA standards I referenced are for transporting, not running.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #38
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Who suggested RUNNING a generator in an RV? The RVIA and NFPA standards I referenced are for transporting, not running.
Don't jump to conclusions. I didn't quote you. My post simply followed yours. I have no control over that

But if you haven't read the folks posts that seem confused, you need to go back and re-read.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Don't jump to conclusions. I didn't quote you. My post simply followed yours. I have no control over that

But if you haven't read the folks posts that seem confused, you need to go back and re-read.
Got it. Had to go back to find those references but you're right, there are comments about running it inside. I guess we should never underestimate what some people are capable of doing. It seems every winter I see a news article about an entire family dying from using a bbq to heat their home, RV, pickup camper shell, tent, or whatever.

Here's one from just a couple of weeks ago:
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...soning-in-tent
Old 05-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #40

Quote:

sorry but what special features to toyhaulers have . i know mine as no special features . bike is in the garage door is closed with a 3" gap at the bottom of the door . the only thing i have is a lower vent at the back of garage . still get the smell of gas in garage from time to time no explosions . some toyhaulers have no doors and are open from the back fwd .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, sport