Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
sorry but what special features to toyhaulers have . i know mine as no special features . bike is in the garage door is closed with a 3" gap at the bottom of the door . the only thing i have is a lower vent at the back of garage . still get the smell of gas in garage from time to time no explosions . some toyhaulers have no doors and are open from the back fwd .
Here are some of the requirements for a th over a regular tt according to National Fire Protection Association standard 1192-18 for RV's. This standard is 64 pages long.

• Upper forward and rear lower venting placement. This can be done with operable vents or windows.
• Special flooring material restrictions
• Joint sealing
• Special fire extinguisher quantity and placement requirements.
• Appliance pilot light restrictions
• Warning label requirements
• Owner's manual requirements
• Sleeping area restrictions for th's with a separate garage.

There are also numerous other requirements if you have a fueling station and/or generator. Keep in mind that these are from the 2018 standard. If your th was built prior to '18 it may have differences.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
Here are some of the requirements for a th over a regular tt according to National Fire Protection Association standard 1192-18 for RV's. This standard is 64 pages long.

• Upper forward and rear lower venting placement. This can be done with operable vents or windows.
• Special flooring material restrictions
• Joint sealing
• Special fire extinguisher quantity and placement requirements.
• Appliance pilot light restrictions
• Warning label requirements
• Owner's manual requirements
• Sleeping area restrictions for th's with a separate garage.

There are also numerous other requirements if you have a fueling station and/or generator. Keep in mind that these are from the 2018 standard. If your th was built prior to '18 it may have differences.
So not much vents which i mentioned . plywood floor , with a rubber mat . warning labels .[don't prevent fires]same pilots as any other rv in same basic locations , no sleeping area restrictions on my unit , and yes extra fire extinguisher B/C for liquids etc . also i have a fueling station plenty of warning labels . wall between garage same as all others . no special sealants ,same hollow door as my bathroom door . So in the end other then the vents we're talking labels and extinguisher . Not as much difference as you might think
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
So not much vents which i mentioned . plywood floor , with a rubber mat . warning labels .[don't prevent fires]same pilots as any other rv in same basic locations , no sleeping area restrictions on my unit , and yes extra fire extinguisher B/C for liquids etc . also i have a fueling station plenty of warning labels . wall between garage same as all others . no special sealants ,same hollow door as my bathroom door . So in the end other then the vents we're talking labels and extinguisher . Not as much difference as you might think
I'm not saying there's a huge difference between a tt and a th but there are differences. I have the actual standard so I'm not pointing out the differences based on observation. My point in listing these was to respond to those that said there are no differences and attempting to convince someone that it's OK to haul a generator in their tt. I'm just presenting what the RVIA and NFPA standards require and to show that there are actually differences. It's their tt and family and they're free to do what they please.

BTW, the flooring requirement is that it must be impervious to fluids, specifically gasoline. No materials that will absorb and hold fluids (carpet) and the joint between the floor and walls must be sealed with a sealant to prevent a fuel spill from weeping into the walls or floor or leaking to the exterior.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
I'm not saying there's a huge difference between a tt and a th but there are differences. I have the actual standard so I'm not pointing out the differences based on observation. My point in listing these was to respond to those that said there are no differences and attempting to convince someone that it's OK to haul a generator in their tt. I'm just presenting what the RVIA and NFPA standards require and to show that there are actually differences. It's their tt and family and they're free to do what they please.

BTW, the flooring requirement is that it must be impervious to fluids, specifically gasoline. No materials that will absorb and hold fluids (carpet) and the joint between the floor and walls must be sealed with a sealant to prevent a fuel spill from weeping into the walls or floor or leaking to the exterior.

I hear ya . many have just the vinyl floor covering . i have a entry door for my garage and the garage door doubt they would prevent gas from seeping out . All the same i get your point . I store my 2000 watt champion in my front storage compartment which is below my bed . several yrs and thousands of miles without issues or any gas smell . of course i turn the fuel off the run the carb empty and turn off the vent cap and never with a full tank but at least half full . So in conclusion if someone shut there unit[gen] down correctly , shut off gas supply ran carb empty and shut off vent carrying the gen in the unit to a campsite should not be a problem . but everybody has to do what makes them feel good . as they say to each their own . when the Feds get involved with things like gas can spouts things are not always better or safer but we need to protect the common public from the real dumb people out there .lol
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #45
Site Team

Well he's been on the road more than a week now carrying gen inside and says it hasn't been a problem. Had some electrical issues but got that resolved. Thanks all.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Well he's been on the road more than a week now carrying gen inside and says it hasn't been a problem. Had some electrical issues but got that resolved. Thanks all.
Thanks for letting us know!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, sport