Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Problem with the furnace

I bought a 2012 Flagstaff V-light in September 2013. I have never needed to use the heat. It's going to get down into the 20s Thursday night. When I went to test out the furnace it ran for 30 seconds or less and then shut off, but the thermostat was still calling for heat. I have to turn off the thermostat and then turn it back on to heat for the furnace to come back on, but the same thing happens. I know there is propane because I tested the stove and it works fine. If any of you experts out there can give me any advice it would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
getastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 AM   #2

Hi Getastro My V Light 30wikss Just arrived this week still need to walk through. How many times did you try to reset the furnace? It may take several tries to clear any trapped air in the gas line if It has never been used before. When the furnace is tiring to light can you hear the spark igniter snapping tiring to light the pilot. If not then the you my have problem with the electronic ignition board or a spider net was built over the pilot and igniter shorting it out and not allowing the furnace to start. Another possibility is that mud wasp have built a nest in the furnace exhaust not allowing the proper air flow to start the ignition process. Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

The heater fan runs first to make sure there is no collected propane in the heater. This is probably what you are hearing. After the fan runs then the gas valve opens and the igniter tries to light the flame. If it does not light the furnace stops.

More than likely the propane has not reached the furnace yet. Try lighting the stove to clear air form the propane lines and and try the heater again. It may take several tries before it lights
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

Update

So today I took the furnace out and started to check things out. I started with the limit switch and then moved on to the sail switch. Both things checked out fine. My next plan to do a bench test on the entire furnace. I know propane is working fine in the trailer because the oven the refrigerator work gas.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

Our furnace was having the same problem, a insect built a nest on the igniter, we had it cleaned and is working properly now. Don't forget to put a scream over the area that does help.
Big George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #6

Are you on shore power or battery?
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #7

I am on shore power.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

I had this happen to me once at a Nascar event. Camping world had a booth with a service person on site. My problem ended being the mother board. cost me $125 for part and install at the event.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #9

Furnace problems

Gestastro,
I have a 2013 Rockwood and while on assignment to North Dakota late fall and early winter. My Airexcell furnace would not stay lit. I had three, service calls and finally replaced the circuit board. The old one had almost melted. Luckily, the mfg replaced the entire furnace under warranty. Circuit boards can cause a fire in campers. Hope this helps.
Sean
sean solan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

On Tuesday we picked up our 2015 Micro Lite 21 FBRS. We just went to a local campground to try it out for the night. The trailer was winterized so we didn't use anything that called for water because we didn't want to have to winterize it all over again after just one night. We live in the south so our temps are typically pretty warm, but not last night. We dropped down to 20 degrees and we ran the heater all night long. That is until it went off about 8:00 a.m. We tried several things to no avail and called the dealership where we purchased it the day before. They walked us through the same things that we had already tried and then told us to bring it in because it's still under warranty, being only ONE day old! So, in the frigid cold (single digits with wind chill) we hitched it up and drove over 50 miles to the dealership. They removed the furnace and said that we "had some loose connections." They tightened this and that and we were good to go. Makes me wonder what else may be loose and stop working down the road??????
lishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #11

I have a 2015 Georgetown (37.5') which I just purchased three weeks ago. It has two furnaces and they run a few minutes or as long as 20 and then they both quit one at a time about 5 minutes apart. So, we immediately suspected a supply problem. Took it to the dealer and he took off the regulator and tried it on another Georgetown. It worked. The conclusion: moisture in the tank. It even addresses this in the owners manual. At cooler than normal temps, the moisture in the tank (if it's present) freezes as it goes through the regulator. As I noticed, the regulator was covered in a thick layer of frost. We had our first trip planned for Florida, so we took off without a working heater. Guess what, as soon as we hit the warmer temps, both furnaces started working and the regulator no longer froze. Bottom line, dealer is vacuuming the tank and refilling the propane. Given what we know, this should solve the problem. PS - dealer stated that RVs come from FR with a nominal amount of propane just to pressurize the system. The dealer or owners needs to fill it the rest of the way. Our dealer believes it wasn't purged first.
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #12

Update: I removed the furnace and went through the entire thing. I started with the high limit switch then moved on to the sail switch. They checked out ok, from there I checked the gas valve and the burner igniter. All good there to, next was a good cleaning of the gas orifice. So after everything I did and checked everything, I benched fired it and it works. Not sure what was wrong, but as long as it works is the important thing. Thanks for all the responses and help

Old 03-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #13

My motorhome has a sf30 furnace and it fires up sometimes OK but other times just blows cold air.
What I've found it the connector on the board has a bad connection if I tap on the plug it sparks up and works fine till its left alone when I'm at work
I'm going to buy a new board and pray that my troubles are over
mrbigrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace