Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

Problems with propane

I purchased a 2015 Wildwood 24' back in the spring and we have taken it on several outings. Every time all the propane appliances worked great though we used them sparingly. On our last outing I did the norm, slowly opened the tanks and lit the stove to get pressure in the lines. It became obvious there was a low flow issue, the burner would work on low but sputter out if you tried to raise it. The water heater would also fire up but the flame was rather weak and would sputter out.

I checked the internet and everything I could find said the regulator overflow had been tripped or there was a leak. I performed every repair procedure I could find a dozen times. I disconnected the two 20lb tanks completely from the regulator and let them sit for several minutes multiple times, I made sure I charged the lines afterwards by slowly opening the tank valve using every possible combination (left tank only/right tank only/both). Nothing would get me past the low flow and no matter how long you burned the stove it would not increase.

I decided at that point even though I thought it was impossible that I must be nearly out of propane since that was the only thing left. I loaded the tanks up and went to the local refill center. The owner said both tanks were nearly full and determined they only needed a 1/2gal each. I mentioned my problem and all the things I had tried and he said sometimes tanks have pressure problems when they sit. He said topping off the tanks would probably fix the pressure issue but next time I could probably sit them in the sun to get the same effect. Sure enough, it fixed it first time, full flow to everything immediately.

I have never heard of a tank 'losing pressure' and can't find much on the internet. Was this guy right or not? I am worried I will have the same problem next time and be back at square one.

Any advice?
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

He was full of it. Tanks don't lose pressure unless they have a leak. The tanks pressure will vary depending on ambient temps anywhere from 58 psi@30 deg f to 165 psi @ 90deg f. I suspect the excess flow in one of the valves wasn't opening all the way or the check in the QCC hose end wasn't opening. If you have further issues I would replace the pigtails to the regulator. Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
He was full of it. Tanks don't lose pressure unless they have a leak. The tanks pressure will vary depending on ambient temps anywhere from 58 psi@30 deg f to 165 psi @ 90deg f.
That's what I thought. We were talking about mid-90s July temps so it wasn't exactly like the tanks were stored in some cool place.
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane