Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #1

Propane alarm sounding off

Last Night at 1 am my propane alarm went off. I got up and muted the alarm and began checking everything. No propane smell by the hot water heater, refrigerator, furnace, or tanks outside. No propane smell anywhere. To clear the alarm I had to open the door for about 5 min.All I can figure is the bathroom door was cracked about 2 inches and the vent was closed so maybe some kind of gas is being generated in the grey tank and coming out the shower drain and the cracked door is about 8 inches away from the alarm funneling the gas to it. I opened the roof vent a couple of inches and the door a foot and it never went off again.Tonite I brought my wife home so she can go back to work tomorrow and I will head back to my trailer out in the desert tomorrow and spend the rest of the week there prospecting, sure hope I don't find a burned out trailer.Has this happened to anybody out there?

moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not doubting you, but are you sure it was lp detector and not carbon monoxide detector? Just want to make sure because its odorless. Hope you get it figured out. Be safe.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:25 AM   #3

The carbon monixide detector is on the ceiling. This one says lp gas and has a green light.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #4

I just had to replace my 5 year old propane detector in my toy hauler this hunting season. Mine had a "fault" button on it showing that it had actually gone bad. Kind of unnerving though when 2 miles in the woods and it starts going off at 3 am. Also, when my new 5er came in, our first trip, my propane detector went bad in it. It would not hush until all doors were open. We couldn't leave it like that since it was 34* outside. No propane smell at all. A new sensor and all was fine.

Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
The carbon monixide detector is on the ceiling. This one says lp gas and has a green light.
OK. Good to know. May just be a faulty lp detector. I had one go off after a year then would never reset.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

I'm leaving this morning and should be there in 3 hours. I'm taking a poison gas detector with me in case it happens again and maybe I can pinpoint a cause. More than likely its a bad sensor as my trailer has been hooked to shore power at home since I purchased it so the little sensor has been operating 24-7-365. Your right it sure is unnerving at night, you wonder if your going to wake up in the morning. No internet service where I'm at so It will be a while before I can read the posts. Thanks for the help. Mike
Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

I had one that kept going off. I replaced it. New one has never gone off.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

Mine went off for the first time last July -- like you, in the wee hours of the night. (TT was only one year old, being purchased new in July, 2012) Spent an hour investigating and finding nothing. After airing out the trailer I shut the propane off at the tanks only to be awakened again a few hours later. The alarm continued to go off intermittently the whole trip even though I kept the propane turned off at the tanks and we went gasless for the rest of that trip.

When we got home I spent several days trying different configurations of propane on/off with water heater/stove/furnace but couldn't get the alarm to sound.

Guess what -- next trip the same damn thing started happening. Took the trailer in to Campers World and they checked everything and did a leak test. Everything came back negative ... system sound with no leaks. They even said that, as far as they could tell, the detector was working properly. ???

My detector is a combo gas/CO2 unit and the manual says that it needs to be replaced every 5 years. I pulled mine but couldn't find a mfg. date anywhere so I don't know exactly how old it is. I do know that, since makers buy in bulk for better prices, some components can sit on the shelf for a considerable time before being used.

I will be replacing it before starting the new season. Other posts and threads I've read indicate that replacement almost always solves the problem. You aren't alone with this issue. Frustrating in the extreme but ... what ya gonna do?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #9

Just got back from Quartzsite AZ tonite and the alarm did not go off the rest of the week. I took a gas testing device and could not find a thing. I wonder if it could be a build up of carbon dioxide from my wife and I sleeping. My trailer is new and tight ,22' box and I had the roof vent closed. The rest of the week I had the roof vent open an inch at night and never had an alarm.I'll have to find out if co2 is a heavy gas and maybe I'll have an answer.

Tags
propane