Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

Propane Alarms

I have a 2010 FR Flagstaff 30WRKSS. I have noticed the LP alarm going off over the past couple of days. No gas is on and the unit is sitting in my yard. The unit is hooked up to 110 power for charging the batteries and other items. We have been experiencing extremely hot and humid days, but it also sounds off at night when the temps drop. Anyone else having this problem ????
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #2

Well if you can rule out an LP leak (tanks closed) - they chirp when power is low, they are dirty/dusty, or when they are old (2-3+ years old)... Being so new it might be a bad unit. You can try blowing it out with some compressed air. And testing it with a lighter - hold lighter up to it with the gas button down but don't ignite. If it doesn't chirp when exposed to gas then you know it's really shot and unsafe.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #3

Change the 9V battery. (Install a new one)

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Propane alarms do not have a battery. They are wired directly to the 12 volt battery in the trailer. Now if that battery gets low, it will cause the alarm to chirp repeatedly. If is on continuous, then it has detected something. Hair spray, perfume, even gas from the toilet if is is close to the bathroom, etc, a lot of stuff will set it off.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Propane alarms do not have a battery. They are wired directly to the 12 volt battery in the trailer. Now if that battery gets low, it will cause the alarm to chirp repeatedly. If is on continuous, then it has detected something. Hair spray, perfume, even gas from the toilet if is is close to the bathroom, etc, a lot of stuff will set it off.
Sorry - mind fart . Was thinking, of course, of the smoke alarm.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. Tanks are closed and have been for two days. I am not sure if the increase in air temperature and almost 100% humidity caused an issue. I opened the roof vents this morning and whatever it was left the unit. I fear it could increased formaldehyde creating the problem. I did notice an increase of eye irritation while in the unit.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #7

On my 2010 unit I had a leaking disconnect for the outside gas grill that was stored inside the wall of the camper cause this problem. Even with the gas bottles turned off there is still pressure in the line and with a small leak it can last for days. The detector would go off and when I checked by opening the door it would quit until the TT was closed up for another while....

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #8

Thanks, buckisland1950...I will give that a check