Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Propane changeover puzzle

I have this type of auto changeover:
Propane Auto Changeover Two-Stage Regulator - Mr. Heater F273766 - Propane Accessories - Camping World

I can't find a manual for it anywhere and am having some puzzling things happen.

We're full timers and have had the bottles on and open since July 25th when we set the trailer up straight from the dealer. I'm not entirely sure both bottles were "full" from the dealer even though they told me they filled them both. My fault for not checking. We don't cook very much and don't use the heater too much either. Normal propane usage is from the hot water heater as a booster every now and then and until two weeks ago we were using the heater to keep it above about 67 with overnight lows in the mid 30's.

Here's the problem: I've had the green indicator turned to the passenger side tank the whole time and I can't figure out why the knob hasn't switched to the driver's side tank. I began cooking breakfast this morning and the stove wouldn't light. I went outside to look at the changeover and it had not switched. Just to get the cooking going I switched it manually and made sure the driver's side tank was open. This gave me plenty of gas to cook and do whatever. After I was done I went outside to take a closer look. Both bottles feel pretty much empty (haven't gotten the guages yet). I switched the indicator back to the Passenger tank and made sure the valve was closed, went inside and lit the stove. I let the main burner run for a few minutes and never saw a decline in the flame. That's supposedly on the same tank that is shut off. Went outside and verified the changeover didn't switch to the driver's side tank. What in the world is going on with the changeover and how do I have gas in an previously empty tank? If the tank were empty it was supposed to switch automatically to the other tank but didn't. This is all factory installed equipment on a brand new 2013 Grey Wolf 28BH. Any help would be very appreciated.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

1. Check your little book on the regulator dealer should have supplied.
2. Contact dealer and ask them
3. If it's bad have dealer replace under warantee.

That's the best advise I can tell you as I never had one that was automatic switch.

The only think I also can suggest is when you turn on the vavles on each tank open them slowly and never quickly as they usually turn the inline hose valve closed and they they have to be releaved of the pressure to open again. This is some type of safety system that has been added.
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #3

Smile

Maybe this will help..take both tanks and have them filled. Turn both tanks to open and put the pointer or selector arrow to one tank. Check the gauge now and then and when the one your using shows empty or red it has already gone to the other tank, so take the empty one out and fill er up and put it back in the trailer and turn the knob back to on..watch the green turn to red on the tank you've been using and take that one out and have it filled, stick back in the compartment and when the green turns red on the one you've been using, take the MT one out and have it filled and so on...
The one your using might run out and you might not find it right away. that's why you need to be vigilant and keep en eye on the gauge.. That should keep you warm and have gas to cook with...Good luck and have fun.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote