Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Propane Gas Detector Alarm

I am having a slightly different problem with the LPG Detector than what I have read on the forum. Several months ago, my detector went into alarm, and after seeing the date was past it's expiration, I replaced the unit. Within a day I started getting the alarm again and since I was not using the RV I turned off the LPG at the tanks. Several weeks later, I reconnected the alarm, the green light was on and all was well. I did not have shore power connected to the RV. As soon as I connected the shore power, the detector went into alarm. I know it's not actually a gas leak because the tanks have been closed. Anyone have an idea as to why the shore power would activate the alarm. My battery is not low. I checked it and the open circuit voltage is 12.8V. Plus it's only about 4 months old.

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

apparently low voltage can do it (but you are plugged in), mothballs, aerosols, cleaning supplies, bug spray, humidity, hair spray, or even a poor DC connection can set it off.

check your fridge if its lp powered to..

also there should be a reset on the front. hold it down till it resets?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #3

Dennis....I have been having the same problem with the dector in our 378. Had the coach checked for gas leaks, all is OK. Problem....our dector is located in the stair well. The gasket around the stair well with comes out to access the batteries, is not a good seal. It seems that when there is no circ in the coach or a good breeze outside, the shore power or gen is on, and the converter decides the batteries need charging, the batteries produce a gas which leakes through the seal into the stairwell where the co/propane dector is located and sets it off. Had all of this checked at the dealership. Solution....move the dector away from the stairwell as well as add more of a gasket to the stair well to seal it off better. Don't know if yours is the same, but sure sounds similar.
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by betndavrv2 View Post
Dennis....I have been having the same problem with the dector in our 378. Had the coach checked for gas leaks, all is OK. Problem....our dector is located in the stair well. The gasket around the stair well with comes out to access the batteries, is not a good seal. It seems that when there is no circ in the coach or a good breeze outside, the shore power or gen is on, and the converter decides the batteries need charging, the batteries produce a gas which leakes through the seal into the stairwell where the co/propane dector is located and sets it off. Had all of this checked at the dealership. Solution....move the dector away from the stairwell as well as add more of a gasket to the stair well to seal it off better. Don't know if yours is the same, but sure sounds similar.
I will definitely try sealing it because it is located close to the converter.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

The gas that is setting ours off is from the batteries when charging, not from the converter. And this happens only when we are plugged in or running the gen. If we keep a windon open and the fantistic fan running then all is OK.
Interesting. Next we we will be moving the dector, a about a weeks test, I'll update you on our succes or failure.
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by betndavrv2 View Post
The gas that is setting ours off is from the batteries when charging, not from the converter. And this happens only when we are plugged in or running the gen. If we keep a windon open and the fantistic fan running then all is OK.
Interesting. Next we we will be moving the dector, a about a weeks test, I'll update you on our succes or failure.
Yea, I misread your post. I believe I have a bad detector because I noticed that when the alarm goes off, the green light is still on.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd5087 View Post
Yea, I misread your post. I believe I have a bad detector because I noticed that when the alarm goes off, the green light is still on.
I replaced this unit with a newer model and it now works fine, so the other unit was definitely defective.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

I had a similar issue and the unit was defective - I called MTI Industries the makers, and they sent me a new one - I sent the old one back.

It was only a few months old...

If yours is still under warranty, I would do the same.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #9

We had a problem with our Propane detector in our TT. The dealer repalced and it still went off. Unable to trace the problem. We ended up buying a first alert battery powered detector online...around $50. Tested it with a torch and it worked great....changed the batteries every season and never had another problem.
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

The detector that came with your unit was designed to shut down the gas if there was detected leak. Most first alerts do not have a dry contact output do do the same. Could be wrong AGAIN. But if that is the case I'm not sure that I can agree with your solution.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskin View Post
The detector that came with your unit was designed to shut down the gas if there was detected leak. Most first alerts do not have a dry contact output do do the same. Could be wrong AGAIN. But if that is the case I'm not sure that I can agree with your solution.
I think most motor homes are wired that way, and most TTs don't have the automatic shutdown.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #12

In that case it's not an issue. I stand corrected !
I love this site and all that one can learn on it.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote