Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #1

Propane hose and fitting help

Hi, I am a long time rv owner , my current being a Rockwood Ultra Lite TT.

Read many posts and am hoping someone that has done this can give me a few pointers.

I want to connect a small BBQ and fire pit to my propane fitting on outside of rv. The BBQ uses the small bottles, a regulator and odd slip fit to the burners. The firepit looks easy, it has a threaded fitting.

So if I get an extension hose what quick connect fitting does it need to connect with the rv? (I tried 2 air hose fittings, oth fit loose but did not let propane flow).

Then for the BBQ, can I connect that to the low pressure rv outlet? Not sure if I leave the regulator on the BBQ or try to get some type of fitting.

Any help appreciated,

MikeClick image for larger version

Name:	20180722_163539.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	180851Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_163547.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	180852Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_163836.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	180853
nozzano22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #2

i'd like to help but i can't give precise parts required as there are several ways to do this. i'm assuming the picture with the green bottle is the grill, the one with the 90 flare fitting and 1/4 turn valve is the firepit, and the one with the hose is the lp supply you want to use. you can buy premade lp hoses in various lengths with quick disconnects on both ends (one male, one female). you would plug the male end into the female fitting on the hose is picture three. if it were me i would get a couple of extra quick disconnect. that them apart as you are only going to need the two male ends. (if you can get just the male ends instead of a complete disconnect that would be cheaper). for the firepit i would take of that 90 degree flare fitting and connect the male quick disconnect in its place. you may need an adapter of some sort to match the threads / diameters of the male disconnect to the existing valve. many of the lp extension hoses have a quarter turn valve on the female end (the one you would plug the male end into). if so you may just want to take the valve off the fireplace and use the one on the hose. again some form of thread adapter will probably be needed.

it is a bit trickier for the grill. you need to remove the regulator that came with the grill. typically there is a fitting that goes onto the grill at the end of the tube coming out of the regulator. this is typically screwed onto the tube (1/8"). unscrew it from the tube. you can put the regulator and tube aside. now screw that adapter onto another make quick disconnect end. again an adapter of some form will probably be needed to match threads / diameters. once this is done you can put the grill connection on the grill and plug the make quick disconnect into the female end of the lp extension hose.

the adapters that may be needed are readily availble at home depot, lowes, etc. when putting things together use gas quality teflon tape (yellow tape). leak check all connections.

one final comment. if you do the above you will have a couple of female quick disconnect end left over. take one of them and screw it onto the grill regulator and tube. again an adapter may be needed. by doing this you can still you the grill with the green lp bottles if you every have need to. simply screw the bottle on and connect the female quick disconnect on the regulator assembly to the male quick disconnect you installed on the grill fitting.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

THANK YOU, CHICKDOE, that helps out a bunch. I needed that info to get me started. I did not even notice that brass fitting on the BBQ!

I will head out tomorrow and see how much I can source locally.

Mike
Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #4

it's not hard. take your time and figure out just what parts you need. most of the quick connect fittings i have seen are 1/4 threads. i don't know the thread size on that firepit. do it first just to prove that it will work. the only thing complicated about the grill is getting the part that attaches to the grill off the regulator tube. go to youtube and there are several videos about how to do this. there are also some kit from a company called torj (or close to this) that sell the parts for various grills. again thehy have youtube videos.

it's not hard. just take your time and use the teflon tape (or pipe dope) and leak solution to make sure you do not have any leaks. the enjoy!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

I TOOK A TANK CONNECTOR (10 TO 30 LB TANKS ARE ALL THE SAME) AND USED A 15 FOOT LINE. FROM THERE THE CONNECTIONS COMING OFF THE LINE TO THE QUICK DISCONNECT LIKE YOU HAVE IN YOUR PHOTO (LAST IMAGE WILL CONNECT TO THE PROPANE BBQ OR THE FIRE PIT. I HAVE MY FIRE OPIT AT HOME AND CAN SHOW YOU THE CONNECTION IF YOU pm ME.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #6

Make sure you use "propane" quick connect fittings and not air even tho they look the same the are not.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #7

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This requires you remove the regulator from the grill, because the regulator at the RV tanks steps down the pressure to be correct for the appliance. If you leave the regulator in place on the grill and the regulator on the camper, the pressure will be reduced to the point that you have little or no flame.

The regulator can be saved and set aside for use with little disposable tanks.

Or you can get one of these to connect straight to a 20 lb tank using the appliance's regulator.
Some have concerns that the grill's regulator isn't up to the job of regulating a 20 lb tank, but that depends on the grill/regulator manufacturer.
https://smile.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-S...onverter&psc=1

If you have a propane fire pit, use a free-standing 20 lb tank. The fire pits put out 54,000 BTU...and the flow is so high that you'll get ice on the outside of the propane tank. The fire pits come complete and just connect to the tank. If there's a regulator, it's in the control valve for the fire pit. Once again, connecting to the RV with pressure already stepped down by the RV's regulator will deprive the fire pit of the propane it needs to work properly. Plus, a fire pit can empty a tank in two evenings. You should have a dedicated tank for this purpose.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

I Did It My Way

The way I do it, install a tee between the POL connector and two stage regulators of the RV. At that location you have high pressure, same as in a one-pound disposable bottle. Install the propane female quick connector into the tee fitting. Attach the other end (male quick connector) to any length of propane extension hose terminated with a 1"-20 male thread connector (same size as disposable bottle) and attach the table top gas grill regulator to it. From my point of view, you do not want to eliminate the adjustable table top gas grill regulator or you will not be able to adjust the flame and temperature of your grill. The grill will run wide open without a way to reduce the gas flow and flame size and the burgers may go up in a flaming cloud of smoke.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

Explored several uTube videos. converted several grills to use the propane on our TT. Most looked like Rube Goldberg solutions, but worked. Lot's of misc fittings to accomplish the task. When we got our Blackstone Griddle I began looking at how to adapt it to the TT. I found a place - Propane Gear - Heaters, stoves, torches and all of the hoses and regulators to connect them. - that had one custom made. super clean and simple. screw into the inlet the same way that the 1# bottle regulator did. They have adapters for most of the popular travel grills. Check out the picture attached for my application.
chuckt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

I ordered these from Amazon to do exactly what you are trying to do with your gas grill.

http://a.co/1ZBEK5J
http://a.co/3emB9fX

I don't know about your Fire Pit, but based on your picture, this may be useful.

http://a.co/39aeOm0

As many others say, you may have to experiment some to get the right configuration for your grill and fire pit.

Good Luck
kjsandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #11

As already mentioned, Go to Propanegear.com, got all the quick connect fittings to do mine. I bought a Coleman road trip lxe and works great. You have to remove the regulator. I bought a new Roadtrip x-curation and got it back to the camper only to realize the regulator can’t be removed like the Roadtrip lxe.
They have a new kit now that’s no tools required, that slip fitting is already on the new brass fittings.

Coleman® Roadtrip RV Quick-Connect *GEN 2* - 12 Ft. M/F Quick-Connect - propanegear
Old 07-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

Thanks Everyone!

My local HD did not have much of a selection so I am going to check out Lowes today.

Looks like the link to Propanegear.com has all the right parts and the prices look great,

Mike
Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #13

I'm waiting for this shipment to arrive (from my prior post).

A lot depends on the fitting on the grill-end of the hose. I believe it's supposed to replace the regulator and leave the control knob. I think the extra male fitting attaches to the control knob.
If not, I'll return it and to keep things easy, get a 20 lb tank to grill regulator hose/adapter. Will keep you posted when the shipment arrives.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #14

So, this kit will do the job to replace many grill/appliance regulators and still leave the flame control valve.
Hopefully the hyperlink works. Pasting it straight into the body of the message does not work.

Steps:
  • Remove the regulator - two small screws hold it to the bracket, and the bracket can't come off until the screws are removed;
  • Replace with male quick connect gas fitting - photos depict bare fitting and fitting with teflon tape;
  • Use hose to connect appliance to "house" gas supply from RV.
  • That's it.

The story in pictures. Some in this reply, and some in the next...too many for one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_104056419.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	181546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_104106968.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	181547   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_103016692.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	181548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_103058385.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	181549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_103329340.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	181550  

Old 07-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #15

Balance of photos show the male fitting in place, quick-connect hose attached, hose coiled with ends connected for storage, and soapy water spray to test for gas leaks.

Note that the 10' hose takes a moment to fill. Gas pushes air out of the hose, and that sounds like gas, but it won't ignite. Be patient. My Weber has an electronic ignition (battery powered), but in lieu of that, keep a fireplace lighter near the burner. It takes about 10 seconds for gas to replace air in the hose and for gas to get to the burner.

Works great, and the flame control valve is preserved.

I set aside the bracket and regulator for future use if I want to return to 1 lb bottles or switch to a hose that comes straight off a 20 lb bottle.

As an aside, life inside my PUP is difficult for loose items. I travel long distances on washboard gravel roads (about 22 miles round trip). The grill that Forest River supplied with the camper disintegrated quickly traveling on a rug on the floor in the camper. It literally fell apart. So I kept the original box from the Weber and use it to hold the grill and protect it. I took out the cast iron cooking grates and put them under a sheet of cardboard in the box...so they aren't rattling around inside the aluminum grill body. I don't know how this will hold up, but the Weber seems much better built than the crappy sheet-metal grill that came with the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_103659801_LL.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	181551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_103742720.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	181552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_105548595_HDR.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	181553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180728_105620119.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	181554  
Old 08-21-2018, 04:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
The way I do it, install a tee between the POL connector and two stage regulators of the RV. At that location you have high pressure, same as in a one-pound disposable bottle. Install the propane female quick connector into the tee fitting. Attach the other end (male quick connector) to any length of propane extension hose terminated with a 1"-20 male thread connector (same size as disposable bottle) and attach the table top gas grill regulator to it. From my point of view, you do not want to eliminate the adjustable table top gas grill regulator or you will not be able to adjust the flame and temperature of your grill. The grill will run wide open without a way to reduce the gas flow and flame size and the burgers may go up in a flaming cloud of smoke.
By doing this you are able to keep your regulator but you also have high pressure propane gas in a long rubber hose lying around on the ground.

My solution was to add an additional female Quick Connect to the camper. On the Grill I removed the regulator and installed a simple ball valve. A rubber hose runs from the Ball Valve to the quick Connect.

Now I can run low pressure gas from my camper's system and regulate the volume of gas to my grill. It works perfectly.

Tags
propane