Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Propane Issue

Hello everyone,
I have a Coleman Road Trip LXE and it works great when hooked up to a small Coleman Propane bottle. I bought a 6 foot propane hose to connect the grill to the tanks on my trailer. I have dual tanks with a auto valve and a T connector for the grill hose. When I hook up the grill to the 6 foot hose it does not light. After sitting for a few minutes it lit but then went out after 30 seconds or so...

Question: Are these grills not meant to run on regular propane tanks with extension hoses or do I have an issue that someone might be able to help me with?

Thanks
FL Catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

You are regulating it twice. Once on the RV and once at the grill. Normally people disconnect/re-plumb at regulator. You can search here for more examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply but I placed the TConnector for the grill directly from the propane tank before the regulator on the RV. I didn't think this would be double regulating?
Old 11-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Catalina View Post
Thank you for the reply but I placed the TConnector for the grill directly from the propane tank before the regulator on the RV. I didn't think this would be double regulating?
You're killing me and my old bad memory. I had this same problem and now can't remember the fix for it. I think it had something to do with tripping the OPD in the propane cylinder as it rushed to fill the hose with gas or it may have been something similar in the grill itself.. There is a fix/procedure you follow in the way you turn everything on/off to get around this....and I can't remember what it was.

Let me look and see.

EDIT: I vaguely remember this, which I got from the Coleman website...but I still don't remember the exact procedure. It now also seems like I had one hose (I think a Mr.Buddy hose that I never could get to work correct) and had to get another one even with the proper procedure.

The third is the operation of the surge protection device built into the grill's grill's regulator. All Coleman® Grills grills have the surge protection device. This device cuts the flow of fuel to the grill if a sudden increase in propane flow is detected. This is to prevent a large venting of propane if the hose or valve on the grill is damaged. This device is also activated if the burner valves on the grill are in the open position when the valve on the tank is opened. Always make sure the knobs are in the off position before opening the tank valve when starting the grill. If either one of the knobs are in the open position, the surge protection device will activate and the flow of fuel to the grill will be very low.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Hey, a Google search turned up my own post below in the forums from a few years ago. I told you my memory was bad. It has the procedure to follow in it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-45049.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies! Greatly appreciated. After following the procedure all is good. Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Catalina View Post
Thank you for the replies! Greatly appreciated. After following the procedure all is good. Thanks
You are very welcome. Glad you got it working.[emoji2]

Old 11-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

Dang. You learn something every day

Old 11-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Dang. You learn something every day

One of my problems is remembering what I learned.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

One of my problems is remembering what I learned.

True, but if you learn the hard way you don't forget.

Tags
propane