Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Scotsman

Propane Issues

I have a few issues with our propane. We have a 2015 FR Signature Ultra lite 5th wheel. My propane regulator will not switch from one tank to the other by it's self. Also when my tank runs out there is still about a 1/3 of tank left. The regulator is not allowing the tank to empty before the furnace shuts off due to lack of propane. Do I need to replace the regulator to correct this issue? This issue happened yesterday. The tank ran out (not really) and the furnace shut off after about 3 cycles. I switched the tanks and bled the lines with the stove. Turned on the furnace and the blower came on for about 20 seconds but it then would shut off. No heat, it was not firing up. Have tried multiple times with the same results. Is there a reset button on the furnace unit? I've gone through this many times when the tank runs out and have never had an issue with restarting the furnace. The stove works fine. Any ideas or comments on any of this issues would be appreciated. And a safe and Merry Christmas to all.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sounds like the regulator/auto-switchover is bad.

For the furnace... It needs to be reset. to do that you have to remove the 12v from it.
Turning it completely off at the T-stat sometimes does it or unplug your shore power and open the battery disconnect to reset. It should fire back up as long as the propane is OK now.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

My grand junction would do that too. Bad regulator. As far as the propane out when the tanks about 1/3 fill, I ran into that for the first time this year. Figured out that depending on the temp, the cold air creates a heavier pressure in the tanks and doesn't allow the propane to aerate in to the lines. Basically a capping of the propane remaining. If you're camping in colder weather get an insulated blanket around them would help. Or something to keep that compartment warm.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

This is the regulator that I use. I have a twenty foot hose on one side and a four foot hose on the other side. The twenty foot hooks up to a 100 gallon tank or a 30lb tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1482849063.077908.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	127161

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Scotsman

Propane Issues

Thanks for your comments and suggestions on this issue. I tried everything that I could thing of and ended up having to call a repair guy. He cut a few wires reconnected them and the furnace fired up. Never fails. No parts, I guess in the end it was a lose wire??? New regulator on its way, hopefully that solves the problem. Happy New Year to everyone. Cheers!
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
This is the regulator that I use. I have a twenty foot hose on one side and a four foot hose on the other side. The twenty foot hooks up to a 100 gallon tank or a 30lb tank. Attachment 127161

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We have the same valve on our new Shockwave. We haven't used all the propane for one or both tanks yet. We don't know if it will switch on its own or not due to the fact we haven't run out of propane on either tank for sure. Our old camper would indicate an empty tank if you unhooked the one it was set to, this one won't. The dealer is aware of the problem, just got to get it back to him for that and a few other warranty repairs.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Because it's an entry level trailer or not.... My little 5er has a manual change regulator... I am glad cause I figure it won't fail. The old trailer acted strange on changeover.. I just dealt with it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Thanks for your comments and suggestions on this issue. I tried everything that I could thing of and ended up having to call a repair guy. He cut a few wires reconnected them and the furnace fired up. Never fails. No parts, I guess in the end it was a lose wire??? New regulator on its way, hopefully that solves the problem. Happy New Year to everyone. Cheers!
Those regulators must come from a substandard plant in China. Mine was very fussy until I bled the tanks thoroughly to get all the air and accompanying moisture out of the tanks. I think the moisture accumulation was freezing the regulator. Got past that and then just sitting in the yard during November, both hoses blew off the fitting where it when in to the regulator. I returned the hose with the defective crimp and the fitting that blew off, to my dealer 4o miles away and the swapped it for a new one with no question. Imagine how frustration it was after losing a full tank of propane, only to go out on the following Saturday to find that the hose on the other tank had blown off the same way, and in the process cost me another 7 gallons of propane. Dealer was cool and provided the second hose but I put those suckers in the shed and bought new (also China) Camco hoses. So far no problem.

The short answer, the factory set up must be junk
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #9

Here is a question from a newbie (only 3 trips so I think I qualify as a newb) based on this post. If you are using an automatic switch-over regulator how do you know #1 when the first tank runs out and switches so that #2 you can monitor tank #2 so that you don't completely run out of propane in the middle of the night when it's 40 degrees out? (No - I don't have an automatic switch over regulator and yes I did run out in the middle of the night and had to go out and... I'm sure everybody knows the drill!). Is there a reliable way of knowing how much propane is left in a tank?
MnL Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

I bet the regulators and the fittings came from India, not China. We blame China for a lot of substandard stuff but in reality that stuff is made in India...

I have a question myself... Can I pull one of my 2 20 pound bottles and just run on one or do I have to changeout the regulator? I really only need one bottle, not 2.

My bottles are inside a compartment and I can use the space for storage. I rarely use up one bottle a season.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnL Mead View Post
Here is a question from a newbie (only 3 trips so I think I qualify as a newb) based on this post. If you are using an automatic switch-over regulator how do you know #1 when the first tank runs out and switches so that #2 you can monitor tank #2 so that you don't completely run out of propane in the middle of the night when it's 40 degrees out? (No - I don't have an automatic switch over regulator and yes I did run out in the middle of the night and had to go out and... I'm sure everybody knows the drill!). Is there a reliable way of knowing how much propane is left in a tank?
There are many different styles and the photos below are just a few of them but they all work off the same principle...

When the lever (or knob) is turned towards the tank in use, the indicator (usually in a glass sight gauge) shows green.

When that tank runs out the indicator turns red (showing that tank is empty) until you flip the lever (or knob) to the other tank. The indicator will then show green again. Having the visual indicator change color, it hopefully gives you enough warning to have the empty filled before the second tank runs out. That's all providing you look at it periodically!

EDIT:
The sight gauge does not indicate the 'level' of the tank. Only whether it has gas or not.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

It's nice to have your tank switch over to the other tank. But I find is that I don't always remember which tank I started on. The first tank runs out....goes to the second tank and at 3 in the morning they are both empty. I like to manually switch the tanks to know when one is empty.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
It's nice to have your tank switch over to the other tank. But I find is that I don't always remember which tank I started on. The first tank runs out....goes to the second tank and at 3 in the morning they are both empty. I like to manually switch the tanks to know when one is empty.
Easy enough... just turn the switch over lever (or knob)... if it goes from green (tank in use) to red (providing the supply knob is open)... your other tank is empty!

Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #14

I have used the auto change over regulators for 11 years on two different 5ers. I have not had any issues with them. As far as knowing how much lpg is in them I use the LPG tank check system. I have 6 30 lbs tanks and have one on each one. They can be linked to your smart phone and they tell you the percentage of gas in each tank.
Google lpg tank check and you will find them. I got mine from rvupgrades.com. They cost about $40 for one or a double pack for $70 to 75. I have used them for 4 months. The one sensor will work on 20 30 and 40 lbs tanks.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane