Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Propane Leak at Dual Tank Indicator

I have a 2001 Rockwood 26 ft trailer. I would sometimes smell gas outside at the bottles, which are dual bottles with a selector lever and red/green indicator. I soaped every connection and it turns out the leak is around the indicator itself. There is a clear plastic housing that shows green when pressured and red when not. It was bubbling all around the base of the plastic indicator. Are there any o-rings or gaskets that can be replaced, or would I have to buy a whole new dual selector/regulator ? I thought about just getting a single regulator and bypassing the whole dual one. A single 20 lb propane tank lasts me several years, so there is not an issue switching hoses.
mecsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Non fixable to my knowledge.

Welcome to the forum!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Non fixable to my knowledge.

Welcome to the forum!
You are correct in that the LP Change Over Regulator is not field repairable.

There was a "bad batch" of these devices from Marshall Brass a few years back, and Marshall replaced all that were reported at no cost. Probably too late for that course of action. I shipped boxes (12 per box) of the defective Regulators back to Marshall Brass.

Also, going back a few more years, that change over Regulator "used" to be manufactured with two separate regulators, the First Stage which also contained the change over mechanism, and a Second Stage regulator that connected to the First Stage with a brass nipple. Since a stand alone Second Stage is available separately, people were replacing the Second Stage portion when a diaphragm would fail, but in some cases did not use the correct Second Stage regulator and "accidents" resulted.

Big brother stepped in, and now the Marshall Brass Change Over Regulator is manufactured in one piece, with both the primary (high pressure) and the secondary (low pressure) integrated into one unit.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote