Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
BuckeyeGal

Propane Leak Question

I have issue with leak in left hand tank compartment of our 2012 Sabre 5th wheel. each time I open the tank valve I detect weak oder of propane. I have done several soap tests but cannot find a leak. through end of last year I just kept tank shut & manually moved the tank to other location as needed. this trip I replaced the pigtail from the tank valve to the single regulator on the left side; still have weak smell of propane. The only choices that see left are a leaking regulator in that compartment or the hose from the regulator to the two stage auto regulator in the right side compartment is leaking. any thoughts? I can change out the regulator, but that hose looks more complicated.

tvc
buckeyegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

I found a leak in the fitting that screws onto the tank selector. Over 1 1/2 year, it leaked out about 1/3 of the tank. Not dangerous but wasteful.

Soap suds have always worked for me but there are some sophisticated sniffers like some professionals use but don't know if they would do better than soap. I doubt it. If you can smell it, I would think soap suds would find it. Make sure you are getting the soap suds to every single part that's pressured. Valve stems are notorious for leak and my selector valve has a big fancy cover that you can't get the suds to without removing the cover. Too bad you can't submerge the whole thing in water like we used to check inner tubes for leaks, ha. You'll find it!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Propane Leak Question

This may help if you can't pin down a different spot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PABZOQERSRGUED

Or this for $1.50 available as an add-in item if you buy more stuff - generally not a problem for RV owners! LOL

EZ-FLO 50033 Teflon Pipe Thread Tape, Gas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00838JDRM..._memWwbE9093GS

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
leak, propane