Old 01-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Propane level detector just went out???

I have a 3107DS (2013) that uses what looks to be a clip on sensor for gauging level of propane in the tank. It was always at 50% on the visible gauge and while tinkering with it, gauge pointer just dropped to zero. I popped the unit off the tank to see if the contacts were bad but still reading zero.

It looks to be running of the low voltage side and I am looking for some ideas of what and how this thing even works. Might have to replace it with new one but not sure right now. Thanks Patrick

aydodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
I wouldn't bother with replacing it. Gauging LP by pressure is very inaccurate and will only display low when it's very close or at empty. There are temp strips that can better gauge the LP level. Ultimately, the best way to accurately weigh LP is by weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampingMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
The best way to accurately MEASURE LP is by weight. *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CampingMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
pressure gauges are pretty useless as the pressure in the tank can vary more from ambient temperature than the actual volume of liquid remaining in the tank (IE you can have an 80% tank with ZERO pressure below -40. the pressure is directly related to the ability of the propane to boil and vaporize. If the temperature is COLD and their is not a large demand of propane, the tank is able to sustain a decent amount of pressure even if their isnt much liquid left to boil off

I much prefer to pick up the tank and see whats left in there!
'14 XLR 395AMP
'16 Ram 3500 DRW, 6.7 cummins w/aisin trans and 4.10 gears
ykdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
The empty and full weight is stamped on ever bottle by law. Use a bathroom scale. Pouring hot water on it then running you hand down it till it gets cold is pretty good estimation of the level.
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
Head Rambler
Post a picture of it and someone will know how it works.

Since you have a class "C" I assume it has a built in tank. Most of those have a float type level gauge and use a magnetic indicator that couples to the float interface to indicate level and it also has a set of contacts to alarm on low level. They use magnetic coupling so that you can replace the indicator without having to empty the tank.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Old Enough to Know Better
Take a pencil magnet to the back of the dial and see if it moves and changes indication on your panel. If it doesn't then dial is bad and will need to be replaced. There should be a number printed on the back along with the ohms resistance (probably 90 ohm) You dealer or local LP supplier should be able to order it for you, and yes a picture will help.

Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? 2015 F350 6.2L CCLB DRW 4.30 axle. 2012 Yellowstone Ridgeline 34RLT Fifth Wheel
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote