Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #21
Pickin' and singin' !

Exclamation Square One...Kind of

Welp, heres how it went.
I instlaled the new gasket and sealed it with 700 degree silicone but still had the problem. By the way, the silicone held up like a champ. I got it from Advanced Auto, the "Copper" high temp silicone.

I completely removed the furnace from the TT but found no obvious problems where any LP might be leaking from.

Reinstalled the furnace and to make a long story short, and after doing everything I could think of, I came to a conclusion.

Even after disconnecting the LP lines from the tanks and the furnace, and burning off what gas was left in the stove line, my hand held detector still went off when the furnace blower came on and forced air into it! Thats right, with no gas being sent to the furnace the air from it sets off the detector.

I have no idea. Am I to assume that there is some sort of "residue" in my furnace from burned LP gas that sets off my detector? i know this makes no sense trust me. Has anyone ever heard of "bad" LP gas? Is this possible?

How about Surburban, the company that makes these furnaces (model NT30-SP), does anyone know what their website is? I am going to use my contact at the RV place however if I could chat with them myself I might save myself a little time.
Directv and DTV
The wife, kids and lots of Pepsi!/SIZE]
guysing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #22
Site Team

Bummer! Here's the website for Suburban RV Appliances http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/suburban.php Hopefully they can help you.

One more thought. Was the RTV completely cured when you was testing the furnace. That stuff puts off some strange fumes during curing. If it wasn't completely cured (72 hours +) I'd retest it again after a few heat cycles.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #23
CampeRooo

Thumbs up Furnace parts list

Also, should anyone need a parts list for their Atwood or Suburban furnace, I found this handy dandy little website that may help out.

http://www.aaarv.net/furncae_parts.htm

I'd make a print out for your records and hang onto it since I don't know how long this is going to be up on their website.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #24

There is evidence that "new car smell" will cause false alarms. It is worth considering the RTV type sealant has solvents that will make your detector go off. Let the trailer air out while the silicone sealant cures. Maybe it was just residual vapors.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #25
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Since you had no propane going to the furnace, it's possible that the residual propane from an initial leak may have still been present, trapped, in the blower area and once turned on it blew into your tester. Propane is heavier than air and will drop to the lowest area. The leak detectors are mounted low to detect the propane. This link can explain it much better.

http://www.motorhomeadvice.com/artic...ge=answer&id=9

Have you tried testing it again? Maybe what was left is now gone and the RTV has had more time to cure. If it's clear then try it with the propane on.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote