Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Propane Regulator??

I have been battling assorted issues with my 2014 Wolf Pup since day 1, but this one has me stumped. I started up some of the appliances yesterday and all seemed fine. By the evening, the reefer was down to around 30 (although outside was close). This afternoon the reefer was around 70, but the gas valve was on and the fan running (electrically connected to the gas valve). I checked and re-leveled the trailer, then noticed the reefer burner would sputter, go out, and then relight. Sometimes every few seconds, and then not for 20 or 30 minutes. I lit my stove burners to purge any air out, and noticed they also lose pressure. I grabbed another propane bottle and it never built up pressure. I grabbed a 3rd one that worked for a bit and then the problem started again.

These propane bottles were filled from the same truck that fills my house propane. I suspected low pressure on my house appliance at times, this sort of backs up that theory.

Can propane tanks be filled with too little pressure? Can propane be poor quality? If I buy a new tank/gas and that doesn't resolve it (cheapest place to start) can the regulator be the fault?

Look for numerous other questions on other topics as I work the continuing bugs out of my trailer (Should have kept the old Burning Man rig).

Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Jarhead View Post
I have been battling assorted issues with my 2014 Wolf Pup since day 1, but this one has me stumped. I started up some of the appliances yesterday and all seemed fine. By the evening, the reefer was down to around 30 (although outside was close). This afternoon the reefer was around 70, but the gas valve was on and the fan running (electrically connected to the gas valve). I checked and re-leveled the trailer, then noticed the reefer burner would sputter, go out, and then relight. Sometimes every few seconds, and then not for 20 or 30 minutes. I lit my stove burners to purge any air out, and noticed they also lose pressure. I grabbed another propane bottle and it never built up pressure. I grabbed a 3rd one that worked for a bit and then the problem started again.

These propane bottles were filled from the same truck that fills my house propane. I suspected low pressure on my house appliance at times, this sort of backs up that theory.

Can propane tanks be filled with too little pressure? Can propane be poor quality? If I buy a new tank/gas and that doesn't resolve it (cheapest place to start) can the regulator be the fault?

Look for numerous other questions on other topics as I work the continuing bugs out of my trailer (Should have kept the old Burning Man rig).
Standard Propane has a vapor pressure 200 lbs. @100 degrees F in the tank. Except for extreme low temperatures if you have propane you have pressure. The regulator drops the pressure to a few inches of water. You can check it with a manometer. A new regulator would be cheaper than a manometer that you rarely if ever use again.

The bottom line, if you have propane and you didn't open the tank to fast (if you did close it and open it slowly) and suspect low pressure, buy a new regulator.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
Denver, CO

Propane in the tank is liquid and evaporates at a constant pressure as mentioned above. So it has to be the regulator. or sealant clogging the lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

Update on regulator issue

I previously tried to update this post but adding a picture crashed it. I purchased a new regulator and installed it, but discovered something strange in doing so. I have found numerous explanations, but I'm still not sure of the cause. I previously refilled my bottles with Amerigas, but these were filled by Palomino Propane. This is also when the problem started.

There was a decent amount of yellow stinky oil in my regulator. I have heard everything from it being a buildup of the propane odorent to a repeatedly overfilled bottle leaking liquid propane into the system. The fridge still isn't right. It will sputter and go out occasionally. At some point is fails to relight and throws the "check" light. I intend to check the gap on the igniter/sensor and maybe see if any oil made it to the burner here.

Anyone ever seen this oil in a propane system? What really causes it?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

If the propane oil has gotten past the regulator you might have to replace all the lines. This oil will cause the appliances not to work. You could try taking the lines off at the appliance and also at the regulator and blow air from the appliance back towards the regulator. This is a quick fix but the lines should be replaced. Also next time you have the tanks refilled pay to have them purged with LP vapor again.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Jarhead View Post
I previously tried to update this post but adding a picture crashed it. I purchased a new regulator and installed it, but discovered something strange in doing so. I have found numerous explanations, but I'm still not sure of the cause. I previously refilled my bottles with Amerigas, but these were filled by Palomino Propane. This is also when the problem started.

There was a decent amount of yellow stinky oil in my regulator. I have heard everything from it being a buildup of the propane odorent to a repeatedly overfilled bottle leaking liquid propane into the system. The fridge still isn't right. It will sputter and go out occasionally. At some point is fails to relight and throws the "check" light. I intend to check the gap on the igniter/sensor and maybe see if any oil made it to the burner here.

Anyone ever seen this oil in a propane system? What really causes it?
There should not be any oil in your propane. The odorant is not an oil. It takes one pound of odorant to odorize 10,000 pounds of propane. I would call the supplier and find out who else has had bad propane. They should be responsible for any damages. I work in a gas plant that made propane for 15 years of my career in the oil and gas business and we never made a contaminated batch of propane, but i have heard of it happening. If i had sold you bad propane i would wanted to know. Palomino Propane has a supplier that they need to contact.

The one case of making contaminated propane that I know aboutof took six months to track down all the trucks and end users to take care of claims.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If the propane oil has gotten past the regulator you might have to replace all the lines. This oil will cause the appliances not to work. You could try taking the lines off at the appliance and also at the regulator and blow air from the appliance back towards the regulator. This is a quick fix but the lines should be replaced. Also next time you have the tanks refilled pay to have them purged with LP vapor again.
I think you can clean the line as posted above, but I would replace the bottles and start with s fresh clean source of propane. I'm not sure you would ever get those bottles really clean.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

This is another case of cheep RV building practices. If the appiances had drop legs at the appliance inlet , like is reqd on all residential installs (natural or lpg) any debris or oil in the line wouldnt mean squat. I have never seen drop legs on any rv Ive seen.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #9

2x on the above post
Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

Your tanks may have been overfilled, this will freeze the regulator and screw it all up. the result is inconsistent flame and pressure etc... I speak from experience, and regulators are not easy to find on chilly Sundays in the fall.

Tags
propane