Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

Propane smell

We have a propane system with one tank on each side and an automatic changeover system
regulator. With one tank empty and the other very close to empty, we noticed a propane smell. I refilled one tank and was going to fill the other later (very$$ here), still had the smell. Checked for leaks, none found,I set the regulator (green dot) to the full tank. Still had a smell. Went and got the other tank half filled, set the regulator (green dot) to that tank (it is on the regulator side). Now we don't have the smell, was the smell due to having empty tanks??
Rockin-DD-Rodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin-DD-Rodies View Post
We have a propane system with one tank on each side and an automatic changeover system
regulator. With one tank empty and the other very close to empty, we noticed a propane smell. I refilled one tank and was going to fill the other later (very$$ here), still had the smell. Checked for leaks, none found,I set the regulator (green dot) to the full tank. Still had a smell. Went and got the other tank half filled, set the regulator (green dot) to that tank (it is on the regulator side). Now we don't have the smell, was the smell due to having empty tanks??
I had a cracked fitting on mine that would only make a bubble every 20 seconds very hard to find but I could smell it as if it was running full bore out the crack.
Just an fyi.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin-DD-Rodies View Post
Could have been that and a very slight leak from the empty tank. Doesn't take much of a leak to stink up the whole area.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Always Learning

This April I had a propane smell that never showed as a leak. I also had 2 empty tanks. I had a RV service guy come out and take a look. He checked everything he could for leaks and nothing showed.

I filled both tanks and have been using them without any smells.

I think the smell was a result of being low/out of propane. Not entirely sure why other than the concentration of smelly stuff is higher. But... you know.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

I have noticed in my 2011 XLR 30 X 12 XLR THAT I can smell propane when the tank gets low.