Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #1

Propane smell in trailer after gas shut off

Picked up our trailer on February 21 and parked it at a self storage lot. Went back about 10 days later and there was an alarm going off. Had to pop the trailer up to try to figure it out. Once the door was open and the sides put up the alarm stopped. Checked the propane tanks and thought maybe one was slightly open so I tightened it and closed the trailer down. I picked up the trailer and set it up in my front yard on Saturday this week, today we connected power to the trailer and tested the furnance. Working well but the smoke detector went off. Figured this was due to non-use of the furnance. Shut off the furnance and closed the propane tank valves at about 7:30 pm and 11:30 my neighbor is knocking on my door because the alarm is going off - this is the propane detector near the floor near the refrigerator. Could smell a slight odor from propane. I checked the the tanks and they were both closed. Opened the vent and shut the trailer up. Any idea what could be causing this?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #2

When I first got my 5ver had something similar happen. The dealer had filled the tanks and when reconnecting the regulator hose they didn't get the collor tight enough. Try loosing the connector and re-tightening it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Thank you, will try this and let you know how it turns out
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

My alarm never went off. We thought it was the black water causing the smell. I figured it out when I opened the basement and the smell was real strong. Checked for leaks with the old soapy water trick nothing showed up, that is when I did the re-seat on the connections problem went away.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
One Happy Camper!

I had perpetual Propane smell in my old trailer for one season. I found that the oven was set to pilot just slightly. Once I turned the selector to off we never got the smell again. I spent hours on multiple trips trying to track that leak and it was something simple and basic. Good Luck, I hope it is an easy fix.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #6

We were able to figure it out. My nephew is the one that turned off the furnance and he thought he shut the gas off but actually turned it the wrong way. He did it after dark so we will make sure that we are more careful. We were lucky the alarm worked. It is working well now and I now know how to read the gauge that is on the dual propane tank. We are hoping to actually get to take it out before our vacation at the end of April for trial run. To learn everythng about it. This forum is great and I want to thank you all for your time in answering the question.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #7

Wow, can you say KA-BOOM?

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote