Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
The Old Man

Propane must turn to gas from its liquid form to be usable in an RV system. As the liquid turns to gas it forms vapor pressure within the tank. In cold temperatures the conversion process is less efficient. Thus lower than normal vapor pressure will result from either colder temps or lowered levels of liquid propane in the tank. If both of these factors exist the effect will be compounded. This lower pressure contributes to excessive release of water vapor present in the propane which can freeze when it hits the valves or regulator.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #12

i would replace the reg more as a safety issue....what if it stuck open. it could put between 50 and 100 lbs pressure on orifaces designed for proper flow at a few oz.
check out MSDS for propane PROPANE MSDS

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #13
Villa Estate 392FLFB

i found out everything from my 88 plymouth voyager thats ex CFB moosejaw's experimental vehicle that was on propane.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #14

I have had dealer tell me sometime they have had problem with there load . I have had to call the dealer out for emergency generator set that had freezing regulator. that they change out.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #15

more than likely, if the reg stuck open, it would rupture the diaphram, after a short pressure burst. the propane would probably vent to atmos instead of overpressuring the system. i guessing, i would suspect there is some safe guard built it in case of a failure.
i would suspect any freezing to occure on the atmospheric side of the diapharm. there shouldn't be anything in the propane to cause freezing.

if u request a MSDS where ur buying ur propane, it will tell u for sure what ur getting. whoever sells it to u is required to have an MSDS sheet. look for the purity. it should be somewhere around 99% min. If someone is blending it for use as a motor fuel, the % will be disclosed in the MSDS. When it leaves the refinery, it is 99%+ pure.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #16

Most of the regulator have a screen in them to keep form damaging the reg, but this where the ice builds up to & can plug up. Like Willis said. I would agree with you about MSDS & 99% pure if this was a perfect world. But we are getting vary % of purity of propane. When I have had my problem was coming out of summer with propane left over & going in to fall winter. Why ? Would be nice if anyone else has had this problem post it.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #17

possible explamation for the propane giving more problem with freeze up at a lower level than a full bottle is as the propane evaporates, it reduces the temp of the liquid. the amt of liquid in contact with the tank is less so is unable to keep the liquid warm. the lower the level gets, the colder it gets. the colder the gas entering the reg, the colder the gas after the pressure drop in the reg.
i'm having a problem with water being in the propane. an easy way to see if it is water is (if the outside temp is in the 20's) to shut off the system for abt 30 minutes. propane will evaporate and all will work again. water will remain frozen.
when manufactured, we had strict specs for moisture, purity, and sulfur just to be able to sell it. off spec had to be reprocessed or sold at a reduced price to someone that used it in their process.
i know that if u get a leak in a liquid propane line, it will ice over so the temp can drop quiet a bit in the transformation from liquid to gas.
what happens in the handling of the propane beyond the refinery isn't something i'm firmiliar with. would be equivlent to me saying that gasoline doesn't have water in it leaving the refinery and someone gets a tank full of water at the gas station. both statements can be true.
i can say that propane left us on spec. what it goes thru beyond us i can't say.
i live in the deep south. we don't have that many days where it drops below abt 26 and then it is only for 6 hrs or less. i did use propane at home to dry clothes and never experienced icing of the reg. could be that the volumn of liquid propane didn't get cold enough to cause the extra cooling at the reg.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
Villa Estate 392FLFB

if the regulator is exposed to wind that plays a factor to. try wrapping a towel around it.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #19

if this is the reg that switches the tanks, try switching the tanks. the warmer (relatively speaking) propane may solve ur problem.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #20

What work sometime is just warm water over regulator & then switch.