Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
bmg

Question Propane stove fitting question

We have a Coleman 9941A series stove and hooked it up to the quick connect gas fitting on our camper. There was a low flame, but not enough gas pressure to make a high flame.

Had CW check out the propane pressure and they say it's ok. They think the problem is the second regulator on the stove. If we can hook the hose directly to the stove w/o the regulator they think it should work. Here's a picture of the Coleman regulator:

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...&modelsID=8334

If you click on the second picture from the top you can see the female connector on the regulator. It has a pin down inside of it the allows the gas to flow to the burner when tightened down.

We need to find that type of female fitting. It appears to be 3/8's, but so far no gas or camping store has been able to find one in a catalog.

We would like to couple the connector with another quick connect fitting.

If anyone knows where to locate the fitting or how to adapt the one on the regulator, please let me know.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #2

Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc... has a pretty good selections of brass fittings and adapters, take in what you need to fit and look and ask, some of the guys are great and go out of their way to make it work if they can.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

from what i've read, you can't use a high pressure stove/grill with the low pressure quick connect line on the trailer.
you have to use it directly from the tanks.

Camp Chef is the only company i've seen that makes low pressure stoves that will work with the quick connect trailer hose.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

bikendan is correct. Coleman stoves are high pressure stoves and unless your trailer has a separate line from the propane tankk for high pressure; which my previous Fleetwood, now Coleman, tent trailer had; it will not work properly.
red dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
bmg

Thanks for the input. I discovered that the connector on the regulator is threaded and unscrews. So I'm going to try a direct hook up and see how it works.

I had also read that some of the stoves wouldn't work from the quick connect, but the CW people seem to think it would work if the regulator on the stove was eliminated. They had measured the pressure at the quick connect and thought is was high enough.

I'm searching for a 1/8 fitting that would connect the screw in valve that attaches to the stove with the hose and give it a test. I'll post the results in a few days.

If it doesn't work, we'll hook it up to one of the tanks and reattach the regulator at the stove.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
bmg

Great news!! It worked!!! Took several trips to find all of the connectors. Had to go from 1/8 to 1/4 to 3/8, but finally I got it all hooked up directly w/o the Coleman regulator at the grill. Even the DW was impressed, which is no small feat.

So, in summary, you can add this Coleman stove to the list of grills that will work with a quick connect from the side of the TT. Just unscrew the connector fitting from the regulator and hook up directly to the gas line.

We've been really impressed with the Coleman grill. Here's the link to CW where we bought it.

Coleman Co - Coleman RoadTrip Classic Grill - Blue - Gas Grills - Camping World

We caught a break and got if for $169 on sale. It comes with a lot of accessories. We got the cover, the duffel bag with wheels, and the stove grate. Folds up neat for storage and is light and easy to move around. I got a 20' hose so we can move quite a bit if the wind is wrong.

Happy as heck. Something I actually did worked. That doesn't happen much any more.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #7

I believe the Coleman stove's regulator along with the camper's low pressure outside stove hookup makes the resulting available gas flow to the stove double regulated low pressure- not quite enough to work properly. Removing the stove's regulator should make that outdoor appliance work just fine. My Coleman/Fleetwood popup had the same low pressure outside stove hookup on it.
I bought a Sunbeam portable gas grill that hooked up to that popup that came with a regulator, and used those little propane bottles. I removed that regulator, and with fittings, rigged that to work hooked up to that outside gas quick connect fitting from the camper. Worked great! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I believe the Coleman stove's regulator along with the camper's low pressure outside stove hookup makes the resulting available gas flow to the stove double regulated low pressure- not quite enough to work properly. Removing the stove's regulator should make that outdoor appliance work just fine. My Coleman/Fleetwood popup had the same low pressure outside stove hookup on it.
I bought a Sunbeam portable gas grill that hooked up to that popup that came with a regulator, and used those little propane bottles. I removed that regulator, and with fittings, rigged that to work hooked up to that outside gas quick connect fitting from the camper. Worked great! Randy
Thanks for you input Randy. Looks like removing the stove regulator solves the problem. The CW tech said that on new campers they hook up the stoves directly to the gas supply w/o the stove regulator. Hopefully, our experiences will help some of the skeptics that said it wouldn't work.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390BH

BMG,

Can you post a picture of the fittings that you used, or describe the fittings?

Thanks
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote