Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Propane Tank Changeover??

Will the valve shown in the photo automatically switch from an empty tank to a full one (provided the supply valves on both tanks are on) or is it just a valve to manually switch / isolate from an empty to full propane tank??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	43151  
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Yes. Where the green sight glass is pointing is showing you which tank you are drawing from and that you have propane in there, cause its green. When it runs out it will turn red and internally change over to the other tank. The valve you are looking at doesn't physically move tho. You have to turn it to the other side, it will turn back to green, providing there's propane in the other tank, and you can refill the empty, reinstall and open the valve. Keep a periodic eye the sight glass. When it goes red again you are out on that tank. It will have switched. Turn to other side, refill and so on.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Always Learning

5er described it well. I'm on my phone so I'll just link you to an article on my blog vs. bringing in the pictures:
http://www.learntorv.com/2013/04/und...c-propane.html
Old 11-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

I was told by ???(can't remember who) that if i leave both tanks turned on then they will stay at equal levels... so instead of just the tank with gauge running out both will run at at the same time leaving me stuck with no propane. Is this possible or am I just paranoid ..thanks Randy
crazycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycampers View Post
I was told by ???(can't remember who) that if i leave both tanks turned on then they will stay at equal levels... so instead of just the tank with gauge running out both will run at at the same time leaving me stuck with no propane. Is this possible or am I just paranoid ..thanks Randy
I don't think that's how it works with these changeovers. I thought it used one and then switched to the other.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycampers View Post
You are correct but not for this type of valve. My last camper had the type you are talking about. Leave one tank open it will take from it. Leave both and it will draw equally from both. As you say, not such a great idea to take from both. I always had one closed and just waited until it ran out and then opened the other valve. Not a great system. This system will ONLY draw from one at a time.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

No automatic switching valve is going to draw from both tanks simultaneously. If it did, there would be nothing to switch to, and it would be nothing more than a manifold.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Old Enough to Know Better

Automatic changeover regulators work on inlet pressure. When the pressure in the supply tank drops below a set point (usally 10psi) it will switch to the reserve tank. There are check in the system to prevent crossflow, You would only want an open tee if you had a high btu demand which would allow you to draw from both tanks or more.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #9

Mine is exactly the same as the one pictured. I turn on both of the tank valves and as stated above it will automatically switch over to the full tank when the other one is empty. It does not equalize the tanks. You can remove the empty one, get it filled and reinstall it without loosing any propane in the full tank. Just check the tank every once in a while to see if one is empty through use. Turn the indicator valve over to the full one when you change the tank, to show you which tank you're on. I always turn both tanks on. There are people who don't do this for whatever reason. I've had a number trailers for the last 35 years or so and I've always found that the auto valves work fine. I do turn the tanks on slowly tho'.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #10

The one pictured is identical to the one on our 2013 V-Lite and ours is auto-changeover. I do manually switch it yo the "full" tank when I remove the other to have it re-filled.
2013 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
2013 F150 EcoBoost/Max Trailering Pkg.
Road Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #11

From the pictures, I am a little confused. The left picture shows a green button which I thought indicates a source of propane from the left tank.I haven't had this reg on too long, so I'm not sure how the color changes. Does the indicator rotate from green to red when the tank is empty and the other side of the reg changes to green. Then the directional indicator is rotated to the other full tank where the indicator now shows green at that side. Is my thinking correct?

Regards, Super
super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by super View Post
From the pictures, I am a little confused. The left picture shows a green button which I thought indicates a source of propane from the left tank.I haven't had this reg on too long, so I'm not sure how the color changes. Does the indicator rotate from green to red when the tank is empty and the other side of the reg changes to green. Then the directional indicator is rotated to the other full tank where the indicator now shows green at that side. Is my thinking correct?

Regards, Super
The bright green dot is pointing to the tank that propane is being drawn from. When the tank goes empty the dot changes from green to red letting you know the tank is empty and starts using propane from the other tank. You then manually turn the dial to the other tank where the red dot should turn green letting you know you are now using propane from that tank. Remove first tank for refilling and the process starts over. With this type of valve, you leave both tanks open.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Always Learning

I had issues understanding mine! I ran out of propane fully TWICE before I got a tipoff on how to read and understand.

See if this help:
http://www.learntorv.com/2013/04/und...c-propane.html

Tags
propane, tank