Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Propane Tank Gauge?

What is the best propane tank gague, or at least the best way to know how much propane is left in my tanks? I have one of those Auto switching valves but right now I just use one tank until it runs empty and then switch it over to the full tank and go fill the empty one. That way I always have at least one full tank and won't get left out in the cold.

What is everyone else doing to keep an eye on their tank level?

Thanks
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollinr View Post
What is the best propane tank gague, or at least the best way to know how much propane is left in my tanks? I have one of those Auto switching valves but right now I just use one tank until it runs empty and then switch it over to the full tank and go fill the empty one. That way I always have at least one full tank and won't get left out in the cold.

Thanks
Exactly what you're doing.

Although I'm thinking about these, they've got good reviews:

AP Products 024-1000 Tank Check LP with Monitor Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74..._40mMzbDNTXRF8

https://youtu.be/1NvhHQSH_OM

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollinr View Post

Thanks
Sometimes I use the hot water method. Pour hot water down the side of the tank and then feel the tank from top to bottom until you find where the cold begins. That will be the level of the liquid.

Otherwise I just let one run out and run off the other and fill the empty either at the campground or when I gas up the TV. I also have two spares that I use to run the generator when I want a long, uninterrupted run time. 7-8 hours on a tank of gas and 15 hours with propane on my generator/inverter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

propane gauges

You can get a gauge that goes between the tank and the supply hose for about $13.00 each at The Home Depot. Just bought two for our check point trailer at work. Just has a simple needle gauge.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Larson View Post
You can get a gauge that goes between the tank and the supply hose for about $13.00 each at The Home Depot. Just bought two for our check point trailer at work. Just has a simple needle gauge.
Those would be something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Univ...nk+gauge&psc=1

I have them at home on my gas grill and gas patio fireplace. I'm still liking the idea of the AP Products gauges on the RV.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #6

No gauge necessary , we live full time with an automatic switch over . I make it a practice to check on the 15th and 30th of each month , I am automatic . Works fine . One thirty lb tank lasts us about 40 days .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #7

Just some info on the AP gauges mentioned in an earlier reply ... They are calibrated for a 20# bottle size not 30# bottles like on many of our 30+ foot RV's. They will work on 30# bottles, but the reading of say 1/2 tank is considerably less because they are calibrated to the dimensions of a 20# bottle. I'm not just blowing air here ... I contacted AP Products and am passing on a summary of their reply.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

I have the AP Tank Check sensors. I like them -but- if they aren't placed correctly they won't read accurately. They work by "sonar" and measure the distance from the bottom of the tank to the fluid/gas interface line. You also need to elevate the edges of the tank to keep the sensor from being crushed if their is anything under the center of the tank. The small rubber feet that are shipped with the sensors don't fit the tank bottom rim tightly so they (the feet ) frequently fall off when moving the tank. I cut a circle of 3/8" rubber to match the edge of the tank.

I really like the Android app for the sensors. Easy to Check the levels from anywhere within a hundred feet or so of the tanks. If you use the app, then you can configure the actual size of your tank. The led gauge indicates 20lbs or greater, 15 lbs, 10lbs, and 5 lbs... If you are using 30 pound tanks with the LED meter, it will still keep you from running out-- it just takes longer to show the initial consumption. Again, with the app it isn't an issue.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

I have them and love them. My rig was in shop for three months this year, and when I got it back the 4 sensors that I have, would not work. I set them back last week. I called them yesterday and Chris told me that they where bad. It looked like they where crushed by the tanks. He asked if I had the green rubber feet, which I do. He said that he would send me 4 new sensors, and the newly designed feet at no charge. Now that is customer service.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
Exactly what you're doing.

Although I'm thinking about these, they've got good reviews:

AP Products 024-1000 Tank Check LP with Monitor Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74..._40mMzbDNTXRF8

https://youtu.be/1NvhHQSH_OM

I have three sensors on three tanks, they work pretty good. I also have tank feet on the bottom of my tanks
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #11

I just got a portable one. It looks like a thick pen and you hold it at a 45 degree angle against the tank and move it up or down. It lights up red or green. I got it on line from an RV newsletter. With shipping it was a little over $40.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #12

I use the ones from home Depot or menards, around 13 bucks each, on the main tanks as well as the gas grills. Love them for quick check references, and have used these for years on all our campers.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank