Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
I believe that FR does not put propane tanks in their unit. The dealers are putting them in as part of their delivery prep.

Lou, I remember how you really liked your dealer even before you found out on this. Can it get worse?
I would never say, no. But this is the topper.
I really hate getting ripped off but my "ex" dealer has taken me to the cleaners more (now) than once too many.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #12

The unfilled tanks are supposed to be included in the factory weigh dry number posted on the trailer so they must be put on at the factory. Could have been switched out at the dealer though.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
The unfilled tanks are supposed to be included in the factory weigh dry number posted on the trailer so they must be put on at the factory. Could have been switched out at the dealer though.
Since my (ex) dealer's "back shop" mechanics are confirmed rip off artists, I have no doubt that is where I got robbed. While I will not "name names" I will tell anyone who cares to know via PM who the thieves are.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #14

Herk,

The LP tanks are supposed to be Hydro' tested every 12 years initially and then every 5 yr thereafter. Check the collar on the tank and be sure that there are not multiple stampings, if the tank was initially tested as you say the valve would have been an old style valve. This leads me to believe the tank may have either been reconditioned or is a later date.

If this is a 20 lb tank just take it and swap it out, would be no charge. If it is a larger tank 30 or 40 lb tank then take it to a LP dealer and they usually would change it out.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill m View Post
Herk,

The LP tanks are supposed to be Hydro' tested every 12 years initially and then every 5 yr thereafter. Check the collar on the tank and be sure that there are not multiple stampings, if the tank was initially tested as you say the valve would have been an old style valve. This leads me to believe the tank may have either been reconditioned or is a later date.

If this is a 20 lb tank just take it and swap it out, would be no charge. If it is a larger tank 30 or 40 lb tank then take it to a LP dealer and they usually would change it out.
Bill my tanks say ten years
Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #16

From a DOT guidebook:

Cylinder Certification and Recertification

Cylinders are subject to recertification (also known as requalification) twelve years from their date of manufacture and every five years after that. For example, a cylinder manufactured in January of 2000 will have to be recertified in January of 2012 meaning if you take your bottle to the propane company in April of 2012 to be refilled, it will have to be requalified by authorized personnel before it can be filled. The recertification process is simple and does not take too long to complete. Think of cylinder recertification as an inspection similar to that of your car. A vehicle has to be inspected annually so that it may continue to operate safely on the road. Similarly, a propane cylinder must be inspected so that it may continue to operate safely in LP Gas service.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
From a DOT guidebook:

Cylinder Certification and Recertification

Cylinders are subject to recertification (also known as requalification) twelve years from their date of manufacture and every five years after that. For example, a cylinder manufactured in January of 2000 will have to be recertified in January of 2012 meaning if you take your bottle to the propane company in April of 2012 to be refilled, it will have to be requalified by authorized personnel before it can be filled. The recertification process is simple and does not take too long to complete. Think of cylinder recertification as an inspection similar to that of your car. A vehicle has to be inspected annually so that it may continue to operate safely on the road. Similarly, a propane cylinder must be inspected so that it may continue to operate safely in LP Gas service.
I'm amazed at the way the words "Inspection and Inspected" are used here. The mere process of doing or having an "Inspection" done or having something "Inspected" is one thing. It is quite another thing of what the "Inspection" or "Inspected" reveals that is important.

If the "Inspection" reveals a discrepancy or discrepancies with the cylinder, then that discrepancy or discrepancies must be corrected before the cylinder can be returned to service.

An "Inspection" or having a cylinder "Inspected" is just that - having a cylinder "Inspected".

What counts is what the "Inspection" reveals - if the cylinder is defective, then a repair (s) must be done or the cylinder discarded.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Herk,

I will check further on this and pull the other tank as well. I hope I don't get stuck on the road on my way to FL. (worried)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Herk,

While getting 10 year old tanks with a new trailer is criminal in my opinion you are still left with what to do today. I would check with a few local to you propane dealers. I stopped by mine yesterday (at my sotorage lot dropping off my trailer) and he informed me they perform the testing for free with a refill. He said it only takes a few minutes but for this guy I am sure that means 10 - 20 mins as he isn't the brightest.

While I know this doesn't solve the overall issue ... at least it might be an option so you can go on your next trip without worries.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #20

Hydro static testing of propane tanks here at home is every 10 years, and not sure if it's Federal or Provincial jurisdiction. However a couple of things to keep in mind. I bought two new tanks (30 lbs.) at Costco here at home for $48.00 a piece, and they come pre-purged no additional charge. In Canada, at least here at home new tanks need to be purged with propane before being filled at extra cost, I don't know if this is a requirement in the USA?
If it were me it would be new tanks.