Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Hydro static testing of propane tanks here at home is every 10 years, and not sure if it's Federal or Provincial jurisdiction. However a couple of things to keep in mind. I bought two new tanks (30 lbs.) at Costco here at home for $48.00 a piece, and they come pre-purged no additional charge. In Canada, at least here at home new tanks need to be purged with propane before being filled at extra cost, I don't know if this is a requirement in the USA?
If it were me it would be new tanks.
You say a new propane tank has to be purged with propane?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #22

Apparently from what I have been told it's to remove moisture and any atmospheric oxygen that might be in the tank from manufacture??

The filling station puts in a small amount (a few ounces) I think, shake a bit and open valve and release to atmosphere, only on new never before filled tanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #23

Looks like US law recertification has to be done after 12 years (In Canada 10 years)
Recertification can be 5-7-or12 years depending on type of testing.
Visual be a by a qualifed inspectior its a 5 year (the 7 & 12 year we probably would not see...............
Description:
U.S. DOT specification cylinders used to transport LP-gas in commerce must be requalified 12
years after their original test date, and every 5, 7, or 12 years thereafter, depending on the method
used for the last requalification.

49 CFR § 180.209 (a)
Periodic qualification of cylinders (1) requires, “Each specification
cylinder that becomes due for periodic requalification as specified in the following table,
must be requalified and marked in conformance with the requirements of this subpart.
Requalification records must be maintained in accordance with § 180.215.

Paragraph (g),
Visual inspections, permits requalification of specification cylinders used
exclusively in LP-gas service by complete external visual inspection in accordance with
CGA Pamphlet C-6 or C-6.3 at the time periodic requalification comes due. After May 31,
2004, inspections for cylinder requalification must be made only by persons holding a
current U.S. DOT requalifier identification number (RIN) and the results must be recorded
|and maintained in accordance with § 180.215. Cylinders requalified by external visual
|inspection must be marked as required in § 180.213, or as specified in DOT’s (RSPA)
|official letter of notification and issuance of a “visual requalifier identification number”.
(3) DOT and ICC specification cylinders used to transport LP-gas in commerce may also be
requalified by one of two alternative tests:
(a) The (water jacket-type hydrostatic) volumetric expansion test at twice the marked
service pressure, valid for a 12-year requalification period, and designated with the test
month and year stamped on the cylinder (along with the RIN as illustrated in (d) of
§ 180.213); and
(b) The proof pressure test at twice the marked service pressure, valid for a 7-year
requalification period, and designated with the test month and year, followed by the
letter “S” (along with the RIN as illustrated in (d) of § 180.213).

You can tell it is written by the government.......................................: confused:....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #24

my local rv dealer charges $10 to inspect and certify. refill at that time is extra.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
My tanks were made-------

My tanks were made 8-2010, has stamped on them REQUALIFY 10 Years from date of MFG

HERK, I see you are worried about your trip to Florida. Just to ease your mind, I'll go ahead and
notify the FHP (FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL) and propane tank inspectors to be on the look out for a retired FLY BOY towing a fifth wheel with PA plates and expired propane tanks.

Now you should not be worried!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #26

I do believe-----------

The factory FOREST RIVER has lowered their inventory by stocking only tanks for CANADA that should be retested every 10 years. Why stock two types of regulation tanks. Just shove them out the door with all having ten year tanks!
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
My tanks were made 8-2010, has stamped on them REQUALIFY 10 Years from date of MFG

HERK, I see you are worried about your trip to Florida. Just to ease your mind, I'll go ahead and
notify the FHP (FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL) and propane tank inspectors to be on the look out for a retired FLY BOY towing a fifth wheel with PA plates and expired propane tanks.

I called them last week already when herk started this thread.
I'll save you from dropping a dime.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #28

I know a buba that ------------

I know a BUBA that is a FHP WANNA BE, He splits his time beteen I-95 & I-75 runnen shine. He jes told me last week that he issen jest dieing to stop some smart eleck PA boy towing a fif-wheel down here in hissen part of the south------- Now he will be lookin for thos bad tanks, ye-hear.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Hydro static testing of propane tanks here at home is every 10 years, and not sure if it's Federal or Provincial jurisdiction. However a couple of things to keep in mind. I bought two new tanks (30 lbs.) at Costco here at home for $48.00 a piece, and they come pre-purged no additional charge. In Canada, at least here at home new tanks need to be purged with propane before being filled at extra cost, I don't know if this is a requirement in the USA?
If it were me it would be new tanks.
I bought a spare 20 lb tank and had to have it purged prior to them filling it for the first time and I live in the USA. I think it cost about $5 to get it done at the local U-Haul.

Herk - I think I would call FR and check with them about the age of the tanks. If it came from them, then they should take care of it for you by either replacing them or paying any costs to have them recertified. If the dealer swapped them out, then FR needs to know about it.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Looks like US law recertification has to be done after 12 years (In Canada 10 years)
Recertification can be 5-7-or12 years depending on type of testing.
Visual be a by a qualifed inspectior its a 5 year (the 7 & 12 year we probably would not see...............
Description:
U.S. DOT specification cylinders used to transport LP-gas in commerce must be requalified 12
years after their original test date, and every 5, 7, or 12 years thereafter, depending on the method
used for the last requalification.

49 CFR § 180.209 (a)
Periodic qualification of cylinders (1) requires, “Each specification
cylinder that becomes due for periodic requalification as specified in the following table,
must be requalified and marked in conformance with the requirements of this subpart.
Requalification records must be maintained in accordance with § 180.215.

Paragraph (g),

Visual inspections, permits requalification of specification cylinders used
exclusively in LP-gas service by complete external visual inspection in accordance with
CGA Pamphlet C-6 or C-6.3 at the time periodic requalification comes due. After May 31,
2004, inspections for cylinder requalification must be made only by persons holding a
current U.S. DOT requalifier identification number (RIN) and the results must be recorded
|and maintained in accordance with § 180.215. Cylinders requalified by external visual
|inspection must be marked as required in § 180.213, or as specified in DOT’s (RSPA)
|official letter of notification and issuance of a “visual requalifier identification number”.
(3) DOT and ICC specification cylinders used to transport LP-gas in commerce may also be
requalified by one of two alternative tests:
(a) The (water jacket-type hydrostatic) volumetric expansion test at twice the marked
service pressure, valid for a 12-year requalification period, and designated with the test
month and year stamped on the cylinder (along with the RIN as illustrated in (d) of
§ 180.213); and
(b) The proof pressure test at twice the marked service pressure, valid for a 7-year
requalification period, and designated with the test month and year, followed by the
letter “S” (along with the RIN as illustrated in (d) of § 180.213).

You can tell it is written by the government.......................................: confused:....

You just have to read this slow - it's not all that confusing if you read slow and understand each section before going to the next one.

49 CFR - means is is published under Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

You just have to read this slow - it's not all that confusing if you read slow and understand each section before going to the next one.

49 CFR - means is is published under Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
Coming from you this is funny!
Lol

Turbs
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Coming from you this is funny!
Lol

Turbs
Funny - How so? This is serious stuff Man.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #33
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post

FWIW - We just picked up our 2012 Silverback from the dealers after some warranty work was done. They ran our furnace for awhile and decided to give us full propane tanks. I checked the two bottles that came with the unit new and both had 2011 stamped on the handle portions - didn't bother to look at the month.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Funny - How so? This is serious stuff Man.
I was ribbin ya about YOU tellin someone to read it SLOW !
No worries my friend !
Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #35
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I was ribbin ya about YOU tellin someone to read it SLOW !
No worries my friend !
No worries = no problem.

But seriously - this is the kind of stuff I worked with all of my FAA career and one of the classes I attended actually taught you how to read and decipher these regulations.

These regs don't just happen - they all have to go thur a million reviewers, government lawyers and public comments before they are published.