Old 03-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Site Team

If it is a 20lb tank, it is probably cheaper and easier to just purchase a new one as the can be has for less than $35. The recert is only good for another 5 years VS the 12 years for a new one. The following link has some useful info on propane tanks. The Truth About Filling 20 LB BBQ Grill Propane Tanks | Web Design Greenville SC

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
Engineer of Crazy Train

Are you talking about tanks or cylinders. AFAIK, cylinders (ie 20lb and 30lb) need to be certified. Chassis mounted tanks do not.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Anyone in the New England area know where I can get my propane tank inspected and or certified? Rig is 10 years old. Probably the original tank.
First of all I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum from mid California.

All responses to your question so far have assumed you are talking about portable tanks on a TT, if so I would just get new tank(s). If you are talking about a permanently installed tank on a Motor Home then it does not require re-certification as it is considered part of the motor vehicle and does not have the same requirements as portable tanks. I asked the same question of my brother in law after purchasing my used 15 year old MH recently and my response is the answer I got from him - he has been in the propane business 50 years as a service technicion with many more years as the manager of some distribution outlets.

If this is not the case in the New England area and it is a MH I would take it to a Propane distribution outlet or call one and they may send a service truck to your location.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
What is the date codes on them out of curiosity ?
The date code is 03-15 they are good for 10 years (Canadian code).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #15

Thank you Batts-toy. I am talking about the attached tank on my new to me 05 Sunseeker 2600s. A friend of mine has a tank mounted in the same place on the chassis. The U-Haul propane station told him his tank needs to be recertified every 12 years? I have to look at mine and do my own inspection for leaks since I just got it.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Thank you Batts-toy. I am talking about the attached tank on my new to me 05 Sunseeker 2600s. A friend of mine has a tank mounted in the same place on the chassis. The U-Haul propane station told him his tank needs to be recertified every 12 years? I have to look at mine and do my own inspection for leaks since I just got it.
Understood, I use a spray bottle of soapy water and look for bubbles. I also have a gas detector purchased at Harbor Freight, I don't recall what I paid for it but if you know Harbor Freight you know it wasn't very much.

Verticle D.O.T tanks must be recertified. Commonly called portable tanks. Motor Fuel Tanks, Horizontal mounted tanks on Motorhomes are not D.O.T. tanks they are ASME tanks and are certified for the life of the tank. They should be visually inspected each year and by vendor before refill.

Many propane vendors are ignorant about DOT vs ASME tanks.

Enjoy the camping and/or travel
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #17

Do I know Harbor Freight? Lol! Best place for impulse buys hands down! Lol. Thanks for the tank info. I'll be checking the whole system.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #18

I have filled my duel #20 tank many times in the last few years and I have never been refused to fill. The propane dealer just puts my 20# tank on the scale and fills. I have not notice any one of these propane dealers check the date on the tank. My tanks are enclosed in a duel tank cover and still looks 'new'. Guess that works.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
the motorhome mounted tank is an ASME regulated tank. it does not need to be re-qualified. the portable cylinders are DOT regulated and subject to re-qualification.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #20

Just filled her up today no problem.

Tags
propane, tank