Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Propane Tank Protection - Mud Flaps?

I'm new to this forum, and completely new to RV'ing. I have posted in the Welcome forum.

I've been planning to get an RV for years now, and finally took the plunge this spring by buying a 2005 Four Winds Majestic.

My wife and I are very excited to get out in this, having booked our first camping weekend fairly close to home so if we have any problems, we won't be too far away.

It seems to be in fairly good shape, and it has passed all the tests including propane, etc, but when I picked it up from the propane certification, the guy said the paint on the tank should be touched up as it had been chipped from gravel off the front wheels, and rust was evident.

He suggested that I put some mud flaps on to protect the tank after I gave it a good coat of Tremclad.

I bought a pair which look like they'd work well, but I'm hesitant to drill to mount them. Anyone have any ideas? Should I just go ahead and put a couple of holes though and attach them or is that a big mistake?

This is what it looks like now.

So, should I get out the drill?

TIA, Mike
Geomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sure! But, if it were me, I'd get a can of Rustolium and spray the holes drilled to prevent rust and if the flaps came with steel screws throw those away and get stainless steel metal screws. (Steel screws will rust.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Sure! But, if it were me, I'd get a can of Rustolium and spray the holes drilled to prevent rust and if the flaps came with steel screws throw those away and get stainless steel metal screws. (Steel screws will rust.)
X2 - the mud flaps are down low and very susceptible to rust from rain, road salt,etc. in addition, make sure the areas that will be covered by the mud flaps and attaching hardware has a good coat of paint before installing the flaps.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #4

I'd think that mud flaps on the wheel well would be a better plan... protect the rocker panel and door from direct and ricochet hits.

Unless the propane tank has been replaced (maybe via an exchange?), its probably approaching its 10-year recertification date. The manufacture or recertification date is stamped into the protective collar and its illegal to refill one with a date more than 10 years in the past. Its usually more economical just to buy a new one.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
I'd think that mud flaps on the wheel well would be a better plan... protect the rocker panel and door from direct and ricochet hits.

Unless the propane tank has been replaced (maybe via an exchange?), its probably approaching its 10-year recertification date. The manufacture or recertification date is stamped into the protective collar and its illegal to refill one with a date more than 10 years in the past. Its usually more economical just to buy a new one.
It doesn't need to be replaced at 10 years - it just needs to be recertified as fit for use every 5 years in Canada. That was the test I had done, and the guy who certified it suggested I paint it, or the next time it probably wouldn't pass.

He said that the kind of tank that's under there is one which could cost as much as $1500 to get a replacement, and install it.

I have a tag attached to the tank now, and a sticker on the windshield with an expiry date which says when it needs reinspection.

Re the mud flaps - yes, I should probably get a set to protect the rocker panels, but the guy suggested another set to protect the tank as well.

Where I plan to attach these, it's plastic on the outside and plywood inside the area, with more plastic inside. So aside from the bolts I use, there won't be anything rusting on the camper body. And using stainless bolts should solve that.

I think I should use 1/4" carriage bolts from the front, through the panel, with the nuts at the back.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

Wow... I've never seen an RV that doesn't use a 20 or 30lb standard tank. Live and learn!

If its a plastic/plywood sandwich, I would probably use some fender washers to keep the head and/or nut from sinking in. You can get 1/4" i.d. washers with pretty big o.d. at Home Depot.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oh I misunderstood...I think you should put the mudflaps on the truck, not on the camper.

To protect the camper, have you considered putting on a sheet of that clear protection film that's popular on the front and lower sections of vehicles?

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

First trip out with my coach I had road debris kick up and dent passenger side of the coach. I add mud flaps before I went home. Also added stiffener Bar you can see in picture. Galvanized metal from home store. I say put them on but behint the front wheels where the debris is kicking up.

I did non even think of the protection for propane tank. If my strike had been on the other side of the coach it would have puncher-ed the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Mud Flap 1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	75054  
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Wow... I've never seen an RV that doesn't use a 20 or 30lb standard tank. Live and learn!

If its a plastic/plywood sandwich, I would probably use some fender washers to keep the head and/or nut from sinking in. You can get 1/4" i.d. washers with pretty big o.d. at Home Depot.
The tank is made by Manchester. Here's a picture of the writing on it.

I think your idea of the large washers is good. I have some right here, fortunately.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

I think I recall hearing that LP tanks mounted within a motorhome are exempt from the 10 year rule. Something about being regulated by the DOT and 20lb tanks being regulated by some other agency.

Maybe someone can comment also.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I think I recall hearing that LP tanks mounted within a motorhome are exempt from the 10 year rule. Something about being regulated by the DOT and 20lb tanks being regulated by some other agency.

Maybe someone can comment also.
I was told that anything propane that goes over the road needs to be inspected every five years. I don't know if that's an Ontario thing or what, but the camper I bought had been in Alberta then Quebec before I got it at the start of April.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:14 AM   #12

We're getting off-topic here, but I'm still curious...

The only reference I found to a 5-year recertification period was "Automotive tanks used for motor fuel must be inspected and recertified every 5 years at a government approved facility." All other cylinders were 10-years except "Propane tanks that are permanently mounted to structures or vehicles do not have to be recertified, but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use."

Reference: Toronto Refill Propane Service Tanks Cylinders Gas Gases Refillable Toronto Rentals Propane Refill Toronto Recertification Requalification Ontario

Its probably also in https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/moc-cyl...ab339-325.html but in keeping with usual Canadian government practice, you can't read that online unless you register.

So I assume the engine in your vehicle is burning propane from the cylinder of which you speak? I didn't get that it was a propane-fueled engine from your initial description.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #13

Quote:
So I assume the engine in your vehicle is burning propane from the cylinder of which you speak? I didn't get that it was a propane-fueled engine from your initial description.
No, mine has a gas engine. The propane tank is only for the furnace/stove etc. I agree, there does seem to be a lot of confusion wrt propane certification.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #14

Have you considered attaching with some 3m automotive double sided tape? Not sure exactly where you are putting them, hanging down or completely flat against something else where flexing won't be too bad of an issue.
If hanging and flexing is an issue maybe you could have a small stainless strip across the top to screw/bolt thru so tearing won't be an issue and look a little nicer than washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #15

I'm thinking of putting the flaps inside the wall where the arrow is pointing.

The flaps are far too long to mount vertically without cutting them shorter, then I thought if I put them sideways, I wouldn't need to cut them, and they'd cover better.

The propane tank is right behind this wall.

Still pondering it at this point.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #16

My Sunseeker MH came standard with running boards and has a stone guard on the front of the running board. The running board runs to the leading edge of the coach body. I see no running board on your rig were they removed?
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #17

No sign of there ever having been running boards on this one. I went out and looked again to be sure, but I see nothing to indicate that kind of installation.

Tags
propane, tank