Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

Propane tank removal for camp stove usage?

I don't think I want to lug around another 20# tank. So I was wondering, can I remove one of the tanks from the front of the mini lite 2306 for use on a separate stove, while keeping the other connected for use in the trailer?
Sullione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullione View Post
I don't think I want to lug around another 20# tank. So I was wondering, can I remove one of the tanks from the front of the mini lite 2306 for use on a separate stove, while keeping the other connected for use in the trailer?
Sure can, but I would try to find a cap for the line just to make sure it wasn't seeping LP from the other tank.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullione View Post
Yes you sure can!
Here's another idea.
Get a tee from mr heater and install it on the tank then get a "lp" hose to your desired length for stove.

I'll get you a pt number and picture.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=357&id=112

This if you have a high pressure stove.

I do this same thing for my coleman lantern and use an adjustable regulator.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Anacortesians

What we did, when I got a Weber Q-220 BBQ, was to buy a 10-pound "squatty" propane tank that has the same base ring as the 20-pounder. I got a "base stabilizer" ring from CW and bolted it to the floor of a stow-bin. It's a quick "pull and twist" to get it out and I can use the grill anywhere in my site without worrying about long rubber hoses with full cylinder pressure in them.

I have heard, from posters on other newsgroups, that the whole-house regulator can't accurately handle the low flow rate of the grill. One poster said he couldn't get the temperature on his Q-220 below 600 degrees.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

I've run lanterns off of the quick connect propane line at the back of my 2280BH with an 8' propane hose connected to the lantern instead of the screw on propane bottles. I've got a Mini Lite on order and I know they have the same setup. Don't see why you couldn't do that for a stove. As for the regulator, I've never had flow issues with either lanterns or grills attached this way. I did have to hunt around for a while to find the right fittings.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #7

I would have liked to do that but being a low pressure outlet a stove wasn't an option. I found a sweet deal in a camp chef two burner and I think in the short term I will just pick up a twenty foot hose and run it off the second tank. For the most part we are just going to be weekending in the thing so I can't imagine using too much propane inside and starting off at places with a minimum of water and power Although this is my first trailer so I could be wrong.
Sullione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #8

You probably won't use much propane unless you do a lot of cooking and run a furnace a lot. I wasn't sure how much I'd use when I got my first trailer. Turns out, taking it out 6 - 8 times a year for 2 - 4 days at a time, I go through a little over a 20 lb. bottle in a year.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #9

Digging up an old thread....

I plan to do the same as the OP. I like the idea lf a cap for the big green tank connector but cant seem to find one. I tested this in the driveway, running 1 tank, the other connector hanging. No gas smell.

I would guess I could unscrew the short hose from the regulator and cap it there?

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgPath View Post
Digging up an old thread....

I plan to do the same as the OP. I like the idea lf a cap for the big green tank connector but cant seem to find one. I tested this in the driveway, running 1 tank, the other connector hanging. No gas smell.

I would guess I could unscrew the short hose from the regulator and cap it there?

I would not.
The end that screws to the tank has a built in valve to stop backflow I think.
Does your TT have a manual way to switch tanks?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

Yeah it does. Just being thorough.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #12

The green acme pigtail that screws onto the tank has a one-way stop flow valve so gas does not come back out when it is unscrewed from tank.