Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #21
All my years camping I never had anyone steel my tanks.But I guess it only take 1 bozo.I would just get a heavy duty nylon braided chain and secure the tanks to the frame or something.
Don't know why S knight was getting all upset.It not his and I never said I lock mine but if others do be easy to get to them even locked
But life goes on And spring can't get here soon enough

2007.5 Chevy 3500Ltz cc lb Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET (SOLD)
Old 01-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
WOW! I'm a retired volunteer firefighter and all I would be concerned with is how to shut off the source of fuel to the fire. Legally locked or not doesn't concern me, it's just how fast I can get to the tank. Besides, I would rather have a fellow camper open an unlocked door and turn off the propane if it's leaking instead of walking away because it's locked. An ounce of prevention by a neighbor could save a vacation.

Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
Old 01-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #23
Recently new!
Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I will add, if the local AHJ (Fire Official) is having a really bad hair day, while not able to fine you, CAN have the camper impounded for however long, due to reasons for whatever reasons fit. I say go ahead and risk it. As for me, mine are secured from the inside, as the locked door is too easy to pry open, causing more cost in damage to frame, door and camper than the canister is worth to replace!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #24
Originally Posted by hrlyguy2 View Post
All my years camping I never had anyone steel my tanks.But I guess it only take 1 bozo.I would just get a heavy duty nylon braided chain and secure the tanks to the frame or something.
Don't know why S knight was getting all upset.It not his and I never said I lock mine but if others do be easy to get to them even locked
But life goes on And spring can't get here soon enough
As I said in the post that was deleted, I'm not upset. Last thing I'm worried about are keyboard cowboys trolling me.

Too bad someone else didn't chime in though, backing me up.

Oh wait, yeah that happened a few posts ago in this thread. Have an awesome weekend fellas.
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #25
I'm with SKnight. Having had a Dad that was a Firefighter and being a retired cop, I know that it is illegal to lock the propane door. Also, having a propane fire in a mobile home that destroyed about half of the home makes you respect the power and fury of a propane tank blowing off excess propane on its way to exploding. Why would anyone want to lock that door. If its because you are worried about theft of the tank, I understand, but your safety and the safety of your loved ones is much more important than the price of a new tank.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #26
I'm with SKnight also. If you had seen what I have seen over the years you would understand. It seems like a minor issue but its not. The few seconds it takes to get a pry bar, open the door on the road or in the campground can make all the difference...........

I see too many people that think that they are going home tonight & they do not ....ever... you life ..... your loved ones lives are more important than a stolen tank.....I compare it to the chicken plant owner that locked his doors to keep the chicken from being stolen............. ( not really the same but something to think about )

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #27
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Alot of misinformation in this entire thread............

Not trying for an argument but..........

NFPA, ANSI, and other consensus standards while it is true in themselves are not always law (Many are Law). But enforcement agencies such as Fire Marshals and OSHA can site ANY of them when the need requires it. So in effect yes they are law. OSHA of course only against employers.

This was my point....if you can be sited for it and or fined for then call it what you want it's going to cost you and in effect a law...again add to that if a lawyer gets a hold of it weather or not the locked enclosure caused the problem or not it's what he will go after in a "law" suit.....and let's bring up one more thing.....the Good Samaritan....suppose your out site seeing and someone walking by your coach happened to smell propane....would you not want him or her to reach in and close your valve to perhaps prevent some mishap??

Old 01-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #28
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
I'm not saying that putting a lock on an unlock-able compartment is wise, however locks will only keep honest people honest!
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #29
One more time, just for clarity and sanity. Once camper is picked up at storage and LP turned on, door is unlocked and stays that way for entire time LP is in use. Once camper is parked back in dry dock and LP valve is closed, the door is locked.
So a quick synopsis, LP tank valve open, door unlocked, LP tank valve closed, door locked.
I am for all intents and purposes following the law. Tho I will now be on the lookout for the local fire marshall doing suprise inspections of campers at my local storage facility in addition to the DOT cop who is going to inspect my tires to ensure they say ST on the sidewall and the highway patrolman who carries a set of scales to do a weight check of my TV to ensure my RGAWR has not been exceeded...
Old 01-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #30
It's simple to put an eye bolt in where the tank is and not mess with changing the latch to a lock. I just put a chain around the tank handle and locked it to the eye bolt. Crack heads will pull live wire out of a light pole for the copper, do you know how much a new tank and filling it costs? They are not cheap. Just lock the tank and move on.

Mike, Lisa and Jake
2002 Ford F250 CC 7.3
2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
Closed Thread