Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #31
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
 
donanddona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Genoa, ILL
Posts: 1,424
Wrap it in log chains and put sergeant and green leaf locks on it. It will only keep honest people honest. It's your RV you want it now so you go for it !!!
__________________

__________________
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Timex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 1,658
Or, you could save the expense of the locks and just place a post it note on the tanks saying "Please don't steal my tank".

RhoZeta One more time, just for clarity and sanity. Once camper is picked up at storage and LP turned on, door is unlocked and stays that way for entire time LP is in use. Once camper is parked back in dry dock and LP valve is closed, the door is locked.
So a quick synopsis, LP tank valve open, door unlocked, LP tank valve closed, door locked.




I understood you from the beginning.
__________________

__________________
2012 Flagstaff V Lite 30 WRLTS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Mag Hemi 3.72 Rearaxle
Nights camped 2015 = 23
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
It's so easy to sit back and speculate about what the fire department should and shouldn't do.

I worked closely with public service for many years, they adhere to their training, if they pull up they're not going to pull up a chair with you and watch it burn.

Here's the official NFPA code 58 PDF, pg 48, paragraph e, point 1. You can search the document for "Lock" and find more guidelines.

This is the link to the PDF.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...83829542,d.eXY

Leave armchair quarterbacking for Sunday. There are rules and reasons for everything.

Actually, this is hilarious. If your weight goes one pound over your tow rating you're an overloaded idiot and god help you if you so much as touch one of MY family members.

But lock the doors, against code specified by the NFPA? Pishaw, I'll sit back having a cold one as it burns with my insurance agent on the line telling them where to send the check. They'll never know I locked the tanks against code.

Reading this rule may be very well what they changed the location of the furnace on the 8289 to the opposite side. My furnace is under the stairs blocking egress.
__________________
B and B is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #34
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,428
I have mine cabled locked to the frame of the tongue. One could easily shut off the gas if there was a issue. Never gave it much thought if I was or am breaking any laws.
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
One more time, just for clarity and sanity. Once camper is picked up at storage and LP turned on, door is unlocked and stays that way for entire time LP is in use. Once camper is parked back in dry dock and LP valve is closed, the door is locked.
So a quick synopsis, LP tank valve open, door unlocked, LP tank valve closed, door locked.
I am for all intents and purposes following the law. Tho I will now be on the lookout for the local fire marshall doing suprise inspections of campers at my local storage facility in addition to the DOT cop who is going to inspect my tires to ensure they say ST on the sidewall and the highway patrolman who carries a set of scales to do a weight check of my TV to ensure my RGAWR has not been exceeded...
No not really are you not following the law as there can be a fire at the storage facility even though the tanks are off, the fire department does not know that & will check them. even if the fire is next door which means they need to open a locked door. You are playing Russian roulette with the first responders lives. Lock the tanks to the frame but not access to them.

__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #36
WDK
Senior Member
 
WDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Jacinto
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I have mine cabled locked to the frame of the tongue. One could easily shut off the gas if there was a issue. Never gave it much thought if I was or am breaking any laws.

I would think that as long as you can shut off the gas or be able to inspect the tank for damage so that first responders can get a better idea of what they are dealing with, you should be fine.

WDK
__________________
WDK is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Okeechobee, FL
Posts: 175
As a retired Fire Chief. Baaaaad move. Propane tanks don't have to be on to burn. In fact, they only burn for a short time and then, an explosion like you have never seen.

As fast as you can, for the safety of your family, firefighters and any possibility of saving your RV, remove those locks.
In most states, it would be considered a crime to lock those doors.. If you ever had an insurance claim, I bet it would be denied.
__________________
Bob & Sue Rowan
Okeechobee, FL
2012 Coachmen Mirada 29DS (SOLD)
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Or, you could save the expense of the locks and just place a post it note on the tanks saying "Please don't steal my tank".

RhoZeta One more time, just for clarity and sanity. Once camper is picked up at storage and LP turned on, door is unlocked and stays that way for entire time LP is in use. Once camper is parked back in dry dock and LP valve is closed, the door is locked.
So a quick synopsis, LP tank valve open, door unlocked, LP tank valve closed, door locked.




I understood you from the beginning.
I understood that too.

Here's the problem with that logic, if a fire happens, if insurance asks for an investigation, if they find locks that shouldn't be there in the first place, it could cause you problems.

All when you could lock the cylinder itself down and do the same thing within the bounds of code.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #39
WDK
Senior Member
 
WDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Jacinto
Posts: 255
.....and it does not matter weather the locked cabinet had ANY THING at all to with the fire.....the fact is any lawyer will use that as a reason to sue and get more money......yeah it's perhaps a million to one shot but I would not take the chance and make matters worse.

WDK
__________________
WDK is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #40
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
As fast as you can, for the safety of your family, firefighters and any possibility of saving your RV, remove those locks.
In most states, it would be considered a crime to lock those doors.. If you ever had an insurance claim, I bet it would be denied.
One last time as I guess this is complicated, my family and I are not in, on or around the camper when the LP is off and the door is locked.

I guess I also need to have the manager of the storage facility remove the lock on the gate to get in the storage facility too, just in case my camper decides to spontaneously combust...

I will take my chances on insurance adjustors, lawsuits and prison, that is how I like to roll.
I do appreciate everybody's concern tho, however misplaced it may be.
__________________

__________________
RhoZeta is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.