Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
My mama always said, "If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all."
Shoot, I broke my own rule....LOL

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcogs15 View Post
Just to clarify before I get a bad rep on this site....I did check the propane via that LED's on the control center. The LEDs showed "full" which should verify that the dealer filled the tank at delivery as required. I just didn't cross check against the gauge that's mounted on the tank. The LED would imply that we've used about 20# so far and gauge would indicate that we've used about 30# (if the working capacity of a 60# tank is actually 60#). Thanks all for your input!
As someone (else?) relatively new to the world of propane, let me share a tidbit of propane information I discovered along the way.

Propane tanks have some type of safety valve that only lets them get filled to 80% capacity.

Even when I take it to the propane guy, my gauge never reads "full", because of this safety feature. Its to allow the propane to expand due to heat/altitude.

I'm too lazy to do the math, but you have a 60# tank - so take 80% of that and that's how much you actually started with. Then figure out your usage....

2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post

As someone (else?) relatively new to the world of propane, let me share a tidbit of propane information I discovered along the way.

Propane tanks have some type of safety valve that only lets them get filled to 80% capacity.

Even when I take it to the propane guy, my gauge never reads "full", because of this safety feature. Its to allow the propane to expand due to heat/altitude.

I'm too lazy to do the math, but you have a 60# tank - so take 80% of that and that's how much you actually started with. Then figure out your usage....
Great catch!
Which is why they weigh them.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #24

On our MH the propane tank is hard mounted inside the coach. I assume that you don't remove the tank (60#) for refilling. If so, how does the filling station know how much propane was delivered? If the tank is empty, it should be a consistent amount of propane, but what if I were to take it in to be refilled when the tank is near 1/4 full?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcogs15 View Post
On our MH the propane tank is hard mounted inside the coach. I assume that you don't remove the tank (60#) for refilling. If so, how does the filling station know how much propane was delivered? If the tank is empty, it should be a consistent amount of propane, but what if I were to take it in to be refilled when the tank is near 1/4 full?
Pump stations and trucks have gauges on them to measure what is delivered.