Old 12-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
The more people you pile into the camper, the more free heat you get. Each one is good for 100 watts.

2008 FR Salem 26TBUD
2010 FR R-Pod 171 (2009-2015)
2010 Chevy Suburban
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
You mention 50 degree mark. Is that noon or midnight. Early mornings (4-7am) are much cooler. We keep the inside temp around at 62 at night and 66 day. And use snuggies and slippers while watching TV. When temps are 40-50 outside and using a ceremic heater our propane is only used to cook and heat water. The furnance seldomly comes on (a 30lb bottle last 3-4wks). If we Just use the furnance then a bottle can last 6-8 days.

Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #13
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Love to be there when you tell her that.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1420597826.467621.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	68218

This morning in moundsville WV. Told her to make a snowman with the boy in the field and not to be in and out.

Weird thing. Heard something like chicken quacking or ducks quacking. Did notice a weird hand cramp that affected all her fingers on her hand except one.

Traded my lunch with a guy at work to be safe. All the weird sounds and cramps or spasms in the hand. Figured to be smart and see if was a sign of affection or something. Check on him in the morning to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #14
We just switched from a 32' towable trailer to a 42' Salem Park model this year at our seasonal site. We aren't full time, and generally use it for weekends and the odd week of vacation time.
We were used to going almost a full season on 2 x 30 lbs tanks, used for space heating, water heating, stove/oven cooking, and at times the frig.
On our new unit, the propane is only for the stove and space heating, and somewhat surprised that we just blew thru one of the 30 lbs over 3 days on a weekend just used for space heating with temps in the 60/70 range.
We replaced the dual stage regulator, main hose, and both tank hoses this summer, and I have sprayed them down with soapy water to ensure there are no leaks, but this rate of consumption seems excessive.
Should I be checking the black iron piping under the trailer too for leaks, or is this to be expected?

2009 Salem PT 403FB
2005 Ford XLT Supercrew
Cookies & Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
Old Enough to Know Better
There are 91,500 btu per gallon on propane and approx 7.5 to 8 gallons in a 30# cylinder, Add up you BTU load for the furnace (30,000 I think) water heater, fridge (9,000 I think) and range (burners are 9,000 ea I think) you can get this info from the manuals or off of the tags on the units. Then you can get a rough idea of consumption. When the furnace is blowing heat its usually at full flame same with water heater when its on its at full output.

Hope this helps.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? 2015 F350 6.2L CCLB DRW 4.30 axle. 2012 Yellowstone Ridgeline 34RLT Fifth Wheel
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
The Suburban P-40 Furnace is 40,000 BTU, and nothing else was run off the propane during this time, as the 20 gallon water heater is only electric, and my wife hasn't used the stove.

So can I assume that the furnance 40,000 BTU consumption would be over an hour if it was allowed to run that long continuously?

If this is the case, and (91,500 x 8 = 732,000 BTU's available) then divide by 40,000 ... when the furnace has run approximately 18.3 hours, the tank should be empty. This of course is assuming nothing is lost during the cycling.

We did notice that the AC unit cycled a lot during hot periods, which really is showing us how much difference insulation makes if this is the case.

Our last trailer has 2" walls of rigid foam and 3" thick rigid ceilings with fiberglass sides (instead of the stick frame and aluminum siding we have now) and the furnace hardly had to run to keep it warm.
2009 Salem PT 403FB
2005 Ford XLT Supercrew
Old 10-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
Are you sure that the bottles were full / filled totally?? ......... we have a 36 ft alum sided wood frame & can go on two 30 lb bottles including 32 degree temps at times.... for the whole season / year. We also run the water heater on gas as well....

Also aren't your calculations assuming that it ran continously without cycling ?????

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #18
Yes as I had both tanks refilled the weekend before at Costco, and the gas was turned off when we left for the week, and turned back on this past weekend on Friday evening. The tanks are less than a year old.

At this point I am suspecting a slow gas leak somewhere as the consumption just doesn't make sense to me, given it is only the furnace consuming it.

We have not smelled propane at all, and as mentioned before, the Regulator (Marshall) tank hoses, and main regulator to steel pipe hoses were all replaced in the last two months and soap tested. This was done due to the cheap regulator failing the diaphragm inside.

The black iron piping under the trailer is the only place not soap tested yet, but all looked good when I was under there blocked the trailer and leveled when we parked it in July.
2009 Salem PT 403FB
2005 Ford XLT Supercrew
Old 10-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #19
While this weekend was somewhat warmer, I think I may have discovered one possible cause.

When we bought this new to us trailer, we had to replace the regulator, which I also decided to replace the tank lines as well given they looked rather dried out.

The new tank lines have plastic thread on tank connectors, which I discovered this weekend, will still turn almost a full turn after the point you normally would stop given the feel.

They are a different brand than I normally use, and my guess is that the seals are compressing until they physically bottom out and haven't taken a "form" yet.

I've replaced a number of propane lines and regulators over the years, but haven't seen this before ... time will tell if this is it.

2009 Salem PT 403FB
2005 Ford XLT Supercrew