Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #1

Question from a new guy

I very recently purchased a used 2014 Wildwood 26TBSS. It's the first RV I've ever owned.

Everywhere I read it says you should only open one tank at a time so you can take one out to fill while still having supply in your other tank left to run your appliances. Yet, for the second time, the service department at my dealership has returned the vehicle to me with BOTH tanks open and said I should just leave it like that.

Why would I leave the tanks open when it's not in use, first of all, and what's the reasoning behind having them both open? This dealership is making me feel like I'm the one on crazy pills every time I talk to them.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Team

No, you are not crazy but leaving both tanks open is common too. Some people rather not mess with flipping the switch over (especially in very cold or snow areas) while some of us like to know when the first tank is empty & don't mind switching over at that point. The position of the regulator dial is more important to me. Even with both tanks open but with the dial set to one tank only is about the same as keeping only one tank open. However, if dial is set in the center it can draw from both tanks at the same time.

Personally I rather deal with one empty tank & 1 full tank than two half empty tanks but it comes down to pretty much the same amount of propane.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
No, you are not crazy but leaving both tanks open is common too. Some people rather not mess with flipping the switch over (especially in very cold or snow areas) while some of us like to know when the first tank is empty & don't mind switching over at that point. The position of the regulator dial is more important to me. Even with both tanks open but with the dial set to one tank only is about the same as keeping only one tank open. However, if dial is set in the center it can draw from both tanks at the same time.

Personally I rather deal with one empty tank & 1 full tank than two half empty tanks but it comes down to pretty much the same amount of propane.
Is there a reason to leave them open even when the trailer is not in use? The service advisor looked at me like I kicked his cat when I asked him if I should shut them between trips.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We shut them just in case the system develops a leak somewhere. We also disconnect the battery... old tt that meant taking the neg wire off. New 5er has a beautiful new battery disconnect switch.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
Site Team

I personally turn them off too for the reason asquared mentioned. When I pick up my TT I will just go ahead and turn off the second tank since there's no real point in having it open for my use. Sometimes it's easier to return everything back to our methods instead of trying to reason & explaining to someone else.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Everywhere I read it says you should only open one tank at a time so you can take one out to fill while still having supply in your other tank left to run your appliances. Yet, for the second time, the service department at my dealership has returned the vehicle to me with BOTH tanks open and said I should just leave it like that.

Why would I leave the tanks open when it's not in use, first of all, and what's the reasoning behind having them both open? This dealership is making me feel like I'm the one on crazy pills every time I talk to them.
Auto changeover valves were designed so that you would have an uninterrupted gas supply when one of the tanks goes dry. That assumes that both tank S/O valves are open. Most of these valves are also designed so that you can remove the empty tank for refill without interrupting the gas supply from the full tank. You need to check the status of the auto changeover valve every other day or so depending on the conditions. But it sure is nice to have the empty tank switch automatically to the full tank when it's O-dark-thirty, it's freezing outside and there's three inches of new snow.

However, when our TT moves, the gas is normally shut off. Except for those few occasion when I've opted to run the reefer on the road to keep some precious content cool/frozen.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I personally turn them off too for the reason asquared mentioned. When I pick up my TT I will just go ahead and turn off the second tank since there's no real point in having it open for my use. Sometimes it's easier to return everything back to our methods instead of trying to reason & explaining to someone else.
Very well stated! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

I leave mine open. As someone said, it allows for uninterrupted flow. I do not know what kind of control/switch yours have. The two RVs I have had turn to red/pink when the tank is pointing to is empty. When this happens it begins to use the second tank. This gives me time to fill the one that is empty without losing flow. This specially nice in the middle of the night when is cold outside. Every day I take a look at the control/switch to make sure is still green. I think that is why the dealers give it to you with both open. MY 2 cents.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #9

when using the camper I open both tanks. The valve that lets you pick a tank isn't a 'stop' valve - if the tank you choose goes dry it will pull propane from the other tank, if it's open.
When parked for storage I close both tanks and disconnect the battery, if it's going to be a month or more I'll bring the batter inside and trickle charge it monthly.

Been 3 years now and just replaced a tank of propane and the battery is still perfect.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote