Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Quick disconnect

Can I use the quick disconnect to add another LP tank to the system?
Thanks.
2018 XLR Boost 27QRB
dustym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

Seeing as the outlet comes out of a line that is hooked up to your regulator I dont think it would be a good idea to try that, I think you will ruin your regulator back feeding it. or burn you trailer down.
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. So what is it good for? Cant run a small Bar B Que from it, and am not going to lug a big one around.
2018 XLR Boost 27QRB
Old 08-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

I believe many use it to run a small BBQ.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Most modify their small or large gas grills by removing the BBQ regulator so you can connect to the camper line...no more hauling mini or 20lb propane tanks

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #6

I just want to have extra capacity. I have extra bottles, so if I run out, I can just hook one of the others up. Our property is 18 miles from town, and have some other bottles that I would like to use up. They are too big to fit in the compartments on this new one and wiyth the last one.
2018 XLR Boost 27QRB
Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #7

Tim, you sure can. This is what long term campers do. You can get the parts needed at propane suppliers when you explain to them what you're planing to do.

Edit: Be careful, since you're coming in after the regulator you must also install one between your tanks and the quick disconnect.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

On second thought, why not just extend the original hose that connects to your existing tank and avoid all the trouble.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #9

Thats what Ill do then, just didnt know what parts are needed. I just thought with this new one, that it had the solution I was looking for.
Thanks everyone for the info.
2018 XLR Boost 27QRB
Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
Old Enough to Know Better

The quick disconnect is after the regulator, so it is low pressure (11"wc/6.35oz) You could back feed your system from an external tank AS LONG AS THE EXTERNAL TANK HAS A LOW PRESSURE REGULATOR. It will not hurt the existing RV regulator. I would recommend you shut your RV tanks off and just pull from external tank leaving the original as a reserve. Please note DO NOT hook up a tank with out a regulator and DO NOT use a forklift/tow motor tank

On the BBQ question as long as the unit is set up for low pressure you can plug it right into your quick disconnect by removing its regulator and getting the correct mating connector. CW has a low pressure unit and I found a nice unit at Lowes that I am waiting on "end of season" clearance. If the grill uses disposable bottles you will need to get a kit if available from OEM or modify it yourself.

Hope this helps
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
The quick disconnect is after the regulator, so it is low pressure (11"wc/6.35oz)

On the BBQ question as long as the unit is set up for low pressure you can plug it right into your quick disconnect by removing its regulator and getting the correct mating connector. CW has a low pressure unit and I found a nice unit at Lowes that I am waiting on "end of season" clearance. If the grill uses disposable bottles you will need to get a kit if available from OEM or modify it yourself.

Hope this helps
Hello - I'm trying to do exactly this with a small portable stove: Introducing the Multi-Fuel Cooktop - CanCooker, Inc.

There are a lot of similar products out there, but this was the only one that says it runs on propane in addition to butane. Out of the box, it is designed to work with the small disposable propane bottles using the included hose. The hose has a regulator on the bottle end, so I cut the hose and attached a quick connect fitting to mate up to the quick connect on the RV. Everything fits and gas flows, but the pressure is very low.

Before hacking the hose, I connected a propane bottle and test-boiled a specific amount of water. It took 5 minutes to get to a rolling boil. After making the changes to the hose, I repeated the test using the same pot and same amount of water. Twenty minutes later, still no boil. The first test was inside and the second test was outside, but the flame was noticeably smaller.

What is the pressure from a typical disposable propane bottle vs. the pressure coming from the quick connect fitting on the RV?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	61100   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	61101   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	61102   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	61103  

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #12

Pressure would be approximately the same it a disposable bottle and a 20# bottle. But as I stated before the pressure at your quick disconnect will be 11"wc/6.35oz. I cant find the specs on your stove but I would guess that it needs 1 psi or so. I you have a way to hook a gauge up to the end/regulator you cut off you can find out what it needs. The only way I can see to salvage what you have is 1) buy a new hose and regulator from the stove oem and then hook it up between your camper tank and camper regulator (high pressure) 2) re-orifice the stove to run at low pressure by drilling burner orifice to the proper size with the proper number drill but even then it may burn funny. Good Luck and be sure to soap test all of your connections for leaks.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #13

Your quick connect on the side of your RV is low flow. The regulators are before the quick connect. Your best bet is to run a hose directly from a tank to your unit. You want to bypass the regulators.

The RVQ grills are made for it but other grills that take a tank directly require more pressure than an RVQ.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I found this thread after I had made the changes. I've see so many threads where people have retrofitted other camping grills and stoves that I thought this would be simple - just bypass the stove's regulator and get the right fittings and I'd be in business. As they say, the best laid plans of mice and men...

Worse case, I will just reconnect the section of hose with the regulator and run off the disposable bottles. Thanks again.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Hello - I'm trying to do exactly this with a small portable stove: Introducing the Multi-Fuel Cooktop - CanCooker, Inc.

There are a lot of similar products out there, but this was the only one that says it runs on propane in addition to butane. Out of the box, it is designed to work with the small disposable propane bottles using the included hose. The hose has a regulator on the bottle end, so I cut the hose and attached a quick connect fitting to mate up to the quick connect on the RV. Everything fits and gas flows, but the pressure is very low.

Before hacking the hose, I connected a propane bottle and test-boiled a specific amount of water. It took 5 minutes to get to a rolling boil. After making the changes to the hose, I repeated the test using the same pot and same amount of water. Twenty minutes later, still no boil. The first test was inside and the second test was outside, but the flame was noticeably smaller.

What is the pressure from a typical disposable propane bottle vs. the pressure coming from the quick connect fitting on the RV?

Good call on the gas tape... Keep the LPG police off of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #16

Sorry to keep asking questions about this. The inspiration for my failed project came from this video:

The author takes a Coleman grill which was designed for the little high pressure disposable bottles and converts it to work off the RV's low pressure connection by removing the Coleman's pressure regulator and getting the right fittings. That is what I thought I did for my little stove, but the gas flow is way too low. Wouldn't the Coleman grill suffer from the same issue? I'm not questioning the information you've provided - in fact it is very helpful. I'm just trying to understand what the difference is since both started out with high pressure tanks.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #17

Actually, I'm glad you asked because I was about to undertake the same thing with my Weber .
Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #18

It depends on what pressure the oem regulator delivers. I would guess the Coleman puts out 11" water column already so that's why the "mod" works only way to know would be to check outlet pressure.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #19

I seem to have low gas pressure at my grill. Factory POC auto change over regulator. It just doesn't put out a lot of flame. May have to explore new regulator or tee before factory regulator and add another line... Any better ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #20

Might want to check outlet pressure before you invest especially if stove etc seem to be ok. Might need to adjust orifice on grill to allow more flow.