Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I still don't understand why there is a red single stage on the other side. Why not on both if the idea is to reduce line pressure to the switch?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I still don't understand why there is a red single stage on the other side. Why not on both if the idea is to reduce line pressure to the switch?
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe it has something do to with the length of the crossover hose to get the driver side propane to the 2-stage reg on the passenger side...

I wonder if the back pressure caused from the red regulator prevents the safety valve inside the LP tank from prematurely tripping. When I say safety valve, I mean the built in device inside the tank that prevents an excessive amount of propane from escaping in an event such as a burst LP hose. Taking into consideration the length of that crossover hose and the volume of propane that flows out of that tank before pressure begins to rise as its regulated by the 2-stage, this just might be enough to activate the safety valve on that tank. The passenger side does not require this because the back pressure caused by the 2-stage reg is realized much sooner because of the short distant of the pigtail (much less volume of propane is released).

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I got no other ideas as to why it could be there. My theory is that after they rolled out the new LP tanks some years ago that have all the built in safey measures (OPD, acme nut, etc..) the red regulator may have been added to get around this premature tripping of the driver side LP tank safety valve.

Maybe someone else will chime in here to confirm my theory or educate me on this one too!

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

UPDATE:

What a nightmare. Still no propane feed from left side.

Replaced bottle; pigtail to bottle (found clogged); and crossover hose.

Have good pressure to check valve in autoswitching regulator but nothing on the other side. The check valve will allow some pressure, but any real demand will cause a red bar. I suspect it is sticking in the closed position. It will open with compressed air but not with 20 PSI propane or air pressure.

Turns out the check valve is not part of the hose but part of the Fairview Fittings and Mfg Inc two stage switching regulator. The check valve is built in to a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT bushing. Try to find one of those!

My next step is to spray it out with silicone spray and try again.

If that does not work looks like a 50 dollar Marshall regulator is in my future.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Grape Escape

Red regulators seem to fail often. Mine did shortly after I bought my used Cardinal. Leaked out of tiny vent hole. Must be bad diaphrams in them all.
Code requires them due to propane line running from side to side
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Now a "Top Member"

Well, I'm still not sure about mine. I did remove the hose from the switchover regulator and messed with the check valve. I worked it open and shut a few times. Not sure if it was actually "stuck" or not. I hooked everything back up, and when my primary tank emptied, it did appear to switch over and start drawing gas from the other tank. I did not follow the procedures exactly again, so I'm not sure if I messed up a step. But when I filled the bottle and hooked it back up, everything quit working again. Kinda frustrating. I'll try again next fill. But that may be a while as I don't expect to run the furnace anymore for a long time.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

On my way to Spindrift RV in Cudjoe Key to replace the entire two stage regulator with a Marshal unit. Apparently Fairview Mfg has replaced this design with a whole different unit. Need new bushings and I am done (I hope!)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #17

Lou
You should be ashamed of yourself, being in the Keys enjoying all this warm weather. If you are in Key West, go to a place called the Schooner Bar, good food, music and drink. It is around to the right of Jackson Square. It is on the water. It is where all the locals hang out. My nephew is stationed at Trumbo Point. We go down every year to visit him.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Had dinner last night at the Hogfish Bar and Grill. Yummy.

We are dry camping on Sigsbee Key NE of Key West. Be here another week; then off to Tampa (MacDill AFB) for the Phillies Spring Training games.

Should be home by April - (life sucks ya know... )

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Finally repaired. What a mess.

Replaced pigtail to bottle. Contaminated with oil and debris most likely from a bad bottle of propane.

Red single stage regulator contaminated and leaking replaced temporarily with a coupler as none available in the keys. Will try again in Tampa.

Replaced autoswitching regulator; contaminated and only working on one side. Had to use a Marshal unit since the Fairview Mfg one is not carried around here by anyone. It is taller than the Fairview so I had to move it right and down a bit to clear the top of the compartment and the bottle.
Total cost about 60 bucks (so far; as the red regulator is only 13 bucks though) and a week of troubleshooting and worry.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
Now a "Top Member"

Wow. Sounds like it might just be a good idea to replace it all. I did see "oily" stuff in my check valve coming off the one I looked at. Even if mine is not as bad as yours, it probably will be.

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote