Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #31
I was wondering what that red regulator was all about. Now I know. Our last trip I ended up replacing the auto change regulator. I had a choice of two regulators that fit. The same that was original---made in India---, or one made in Texas. I opted for the 'made in Texas' regulator.

DRINK COFFEE--do stupid things faster and with more energy ! Rockwood 5th wheel, Signature Untralite, 8244S
Tow Vehicle: Ram 3500 6.4 litre Hemi.
Bill_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #32
The main reason for the regulator is to make sure that once the propane leaves the tank as a vapor that it stays a vapor. Propane regulators in trailers do not regulate liquid only vapor. If the regulator was not there the pressure in the hose would be the same as the tank. This could lead to the vapor condensening back into a liquid. With a reduction in the pressure from the regulator to the other side of the coach this will greatly reduce the possibility of the vapor in the crossover hose turning back into a liquid. This is all based on propanes vapor/pressure saturation points. the lower the pressure the lower the temperature to turn it back into a liquid.

dodge3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I had a cracked fitting on the right side of my 5er . dealer fixed under warranty .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #34
Low LP Gas Pressure

LP Gas leaks and malfuntions
I recently had problems with my Cougar 5th wheel dual tank system. Low pressure from drivers side tank remote from the main two stage regulator. I could smell a faint odor of gas when I turned on the bottle. I replaced the remote high pressure regulator (18 psi) with a 30 psi regulator. I also replaced the hose on the remote side because I found that it was corroded and was malfunctioning.

I continued to have issues with low pressure from the remote side. Replaced the auto change over regulator on the passenger side and continued to have low pressure problems. After rechecking everything and not being able to really determine the problem, I took the entire system apart.

My 5th wheel has a gas pipe running across the front of the RV with brass fittings on both ends. The passenger side has a brass compression fitting on the passenger side and a brass reduction (1/2 to 1/4) fitting on the drivers side that connected the red single phase high pressure regulator. I found the reduction fitting on the drivers side had a crack in it which allowed gas to leak from the system causing the low pressure.

I took the pipe to a gas pipe and fitting store and they examined the fitting to find a replacement. Turns out the brass fitting was intended for use in water systems only and when screwed onto the pipe, it cracked from the pressure from the tapered threads on the gas pipe. I replaced the fitting with a steel pipe fitting (1/2 to 1/4) and a steel 1/4 inch nipple. I put it all back together and it works better now than it ever has and there is absoluty no gas smell. The crack in the brass fitting was letting off just enough pressure to make the auto changeover regulator not work properly and was not bleeding off enough gas so you could smell it at times.

I read many posts on different forums of people having this same problem. I did not see where anyone else had a bad or cracked fitting. Check your fittings to insure they are gas fittings and that the brass has not cracked and is the cause of the problem.

You may also want to check out this link:

Happy Trails!
CWDaimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou
Additional Propane info
Attached Files
File Type: pdf propane safety and use.pdf (171.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf Marshal Auto Changover Regulators Pamplet.PDF (4.79 MB, 85 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #36
Yea!! My new fifth wheel has both propane bottles on one side, no red regulator. One less thing to go wrong.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #37
Now a "Top Member"
I tried to bypass the red regulator on mine, but could not find the fittings to go by it. I did end up replacing all my hoses and all my fittings, including the big screw on to the tank itself. The old hoses were all very stiff and starting to crack (after only two years). I had problems with it leaking, and before I finally gave in and replaced the all, I couldn't even screw the fitting on the tank on the door side. It would not seal. But all is well now, no leaks, no problems.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #38
what will replace a gr 618 regulator

Paul Short is offline   Reply With Quote