Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Hmmmmm...interesting and smart advice actually! However, I was thinking that you are taking caution at a "gas" (-oline...?) pump? Mark me if I'm wrong or someone chime in please. So, am wondering if turning off the frige and LP flame is still necessary at a truck stop that delivers only diesel fuel at it's pumps? If so, then not necessary there? I'm not a petroleum engineer but wonder if diesel vapors are as volatile as gasoline vapors are BOUND to be??

I know it wouldn't take much to induce an explosion with gasoline vapors but have doubts about how diesel fumes tend to spread and how quickly...

Anybody?
NO to Diesel, Also remember how far your intake from the pump is your refer is probably 20' from the pump to begin with unless your whole trailer is under the roof area. Even then you wouldn't have a problem. Hell I seen people smoking while filling there tanks.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #62
Site Team

I don't plan to provide my opinion, but rather a few facts to consider before you make a decision.

On my Coachmen Freedom Express the propane hose runs from the regulator on the tongue back to a splitter where is is broken out to several appliances. The splitter is about 3 inches inward and two inches in front of the front tandem wheel. If that tire blew while traveling it would in most cases totally destroy the propane line. If the tire shredded and the wheel started sparking on the pavement, There would be a major uncontrollable fire from escaping propane. Before you make a decision on doing it, Check under your unit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #63

The safety valve would clamp down. Once the initial pressure was released there would barely be a flame.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I don't plan to provide my opinion, but rather a few facts to consider before you make a decision.

On my Coachmen Freedom Express the propane hose runs from the regulator on the tongue back to a splitter where is is broken out to several appliances. The splitter is about 3 inches inward and two inches in front of the front tandem wheel. If that tire blew while traveling it would in most cases totally destroy the propane line. If the tire shredded and the wheel started sparking on the pavement, There would be a major uncontrollable fire from escaping propane. Before you make a decision on doing it, Check under your unit.
I do understand your point. Also my propane line is 1/2" galv. pipe that runs under my trailer, I just scraped and painted it. There is a rubber crossover in the center area above the axle. I run my refer all the time, but when I pull into get fuel I do not allow the unit under any canopy which could trap fumes. I worry more of that idiot next to me smoking. Also I try to always fill at the commercial diesel pump with no over hang. What about the refrigerated trucks they run that cooler 24/7. Safety has always been and will be my first concern......

Old 02-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #65

Reefer on...reefer off?

ALL good advice and points to ponder. I always ran my gas on (tho only on the pilot mode to keep fridge cool when on the road or fueling) when I had my Airstream, but now have the Solera MH. Will continue to do so as ptomaine is not my cup of tea.
Insofar as seeing morons smoking at\near the pumps (esp. gas...)...simply alert the station attendant asap and try to get the hell out of there! Also goes for those using their phones near the pump! Talk about the Big Bang Theory!

With the way this country is going lately it seems that people are lazier with an attitude...a bad mix, unfortunately!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
ALL good advice and points to ponder. I always ran my gas on (tho only on the pilot mode to keep fridge cool when on the road or fueling) when I had my Airstream, but now have the Solera MH. Will continue to do so as ptomaine is not my cup of tea.
Insofar as seeing morons smoking at\near the pumps (esp. gas...)...simply alert the station attendant asap and try to get the hell out of there! Also goes for those using their phones near the pump! Talk about the Big Bang Theory!

With the way this country is going lately it seems that people are lazier with an attitude...a bad mix, unfortunately!
I'd be more worried of women going in and out of their vehicles while refueling than the "cell phone myth"... No offence to women, but when you enter and exit your vehicle you create static electricity typically then men... Also, most men will close the door, or touch another piece of metal and dissipate this charge, before grabbing the pump and discharging it there..

As for cell phones blowing up gas stations, that one has been busted a few times..

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #67

Good point and hopefully your're right on that urban myth!? I do know that when fueling gallon containers (for lawnmowers, etc), esp. in the winter, one must be pretty careful re discharging onto metal (use the back of your knuckles..hurts less!) of the car before touching the pump. I also know that pumps are heavily grounded because of this.
As a retired teacher I remember always electrocuting my students in lab, virtually, always after sliding out of the chair or walking across the photo lab rug (nylon?).
If they were acting up a bit this maneuver always solved the problem...I would always
feign an "oops, sorry" routine. I personally carry enough voltage, so it seems, to power a small town.
Anyway, my biggest fear are the morons who DO smoke at the pumps, and\or leave their fire belching trash heaps running at the pump while refueling. As I said, notify the attendant inside asap and they will shut the pump down immediately (at least here they do!) and then they will call the police if the moron causes problems. Is worth the effort. Thanks and be SAFE!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The frig being on wouldn't have much to do if you're involved in an accident, the propane lines are still there and the chances of the frig burner being on at the time and a flame present would be very remote. The stove and furnace are there also, but no flame present. Just because the frig is on propane doesn't mean there is a constant flame, quite the contrary. It might come on maybe one time an hour if that and then for only a few minutes.
I know this is an old post, but I have never had an RV absorption fridge that was so efficient that the propane burner only ran a few minutes per hour. Maybe it is because I am in Arizona, but even then the burner is on much longer than that. I would venture a few minutes is not even long enough to get the ammonia heated, boiled, and then cycled through the system to provide any cooling effect at all.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #69

Due to the angle of our driveway I must have my 5th wheel hitch adjusted high so when I turn onto the road my truck box doesn't hit the trailer. So the trailer sits a little higher in the front when traveling. Would this affect the performance of the fridge? The manual says that the trailer should be level or the fridge will not work properly or could fail completely and get damaged.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #70

Larryo, You should be as level as possible when stationary. As you pull your trailer the road itself by bouncing will takecare of it. I wouldn't really worry about it unless your really out of level. and then I still don't know how much it would be. Our great USA interstates with all the bounce will keep it moving enough..

Old 06-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #71

Thank you.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:06 AM   #72

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Refrigerator on while traveling?

I have had experience with Dometic fridges and vapour lock. Involves removal of the fridge, turn it upside down and reinstalling. Worked every time. As Glenn has mentioned regular road travel will shake things up.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 AM   #73

Always travel with ref. on with no problems .
camping baba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, travel