Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Papi

Roadtrip Grill & Propane tank Issues

I have been using a Coleman Roadtrip grill (love it!) with the 1# LP bottles as it is designed to do. I bought a separate 20# LP canister and a 12' connection hose so that I can use the larger tank with the grill instead of small bottles. Dealer assured me that going from 1# to the larger (regular type) cans only requires the hose assy. What I have now is extremely low flame on the grill. So low that the slightest breeze blows it out if it lights at all. The 20# can works fine with the Lil Red Campfire (different hose) so I know it's okay. I am concerned that the regulator on the grill is made for 1# bottles and I may require a different type to use the larger bottle. Dealer says...No, just hook up the hose and you're good to go. Question: Is there any difference (pressure-wise) between 1# and other (standard size) tanks? Do I need a different regulator on the grill or can the hose be at fault? Thanks for help! Oh yes...pause to remember all Veterans!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

Does the hose you bought have a regulator on it?

What I have.

I can use three appliances at once if need be.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post
I have been using a Coleman Roadtrip grill (love it!) with the 1# LP bottles as it is designed to do. I bought a separate 20# LP canister and a 12' connection hose so that I can use the larger tank with the grill instead of small bottles. Dealer assured me that going from 1# to the larger (regular type) cans only requires the hose assy. What I have now is extremely low flame on the grill. So low that the slightest breeze blows it out if it lights at all. The 20# can works fine with the Lil Red Campfire (different hose) so I know it's okay. I am concerned that the regulator on the grill is made for 1# bottles and I may require a different type to use the larger bottle. Dealer says...No, just hook up the hose and you're good to go. Question: Is there any difference (pressure-wise) between 1# and other (standard size) tanks? Do I need a different regulator on the grill or can the hose be at fault? Thanks for help! Oh yes...pause to remember all Veterans!
Same thing was going on with my Coleman. Asked Coleman and they told me it's a safety shut off feature built in if too much gas goes thru to quick that's triggering.

Make sure the grill knobs are off. Very slowly open the 20 lb tank. Now slowly turn on the grill knobs and light it. This fixes the low flame.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post610349

This fixed my problem. Just turn on the cylinder slowly, and after it pressurizes, turn on the grill slowly, then ignite it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Papi

Yea!! Success!

As always, FR Forum folks rock! Idaho: No, no regulator - just a hose. Tire: I tried the slow approach, different ways several times and it did not help. The slow approach shuda been on my radar because it's what I have to do with the RV tanks. Anyway, What DID help is this: Connect hose to tank, turn on tank, connect hose to grill...turn on grill. I did "exercise" the Schrader valve in the hose a couple times with a tiny screwdriver beforehand just to make sure I was getting fuel out. As always, thanks for all help/suggestions! BTW, the small tank seems to have more pressure than the large, at least by "testing" each...wonder if it was the Schrader all along.
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

I use the road trip grill regulator with an extend a flow kit & run the grill off the two trailers gas bottles works great (The extend a flow is pricey though) had it on different gas grills since around 1988 have up graded with newer version for the newer gas valves. Always have used the grills regulator.

You need the regulator with the grill for it to work correctly.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Denver, CO

You have 2 regulator in the same line. Low flow, remove one.either hook into your RV bottle before the regulator, or remove the Rv regulator from the line.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #7

You need something like the extend a flow kit that splits the lines (it is a t connection) before the trailer regulator so the grills regulator works for it only & the trailers regulator is after the t. One regulator on the grill only.

Back to your question the roadtrip regulator will work for any of the common size bottles (ours are 30# and it works great) as the grills regulator denotes how much gas goes through it.

Personally I would not use it without a regulator.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank