Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #1

Stumped Gas Leak

2009 FR Wildcat 27RL

I'm losing propane and can't figure out from where.

Replaced all flexible hoses and two regulators-there is a 30 PSI regulator on driver's side tank and a 2 stage regulator on pax side tank area.

Sprayed soapy solution on all hard fittings-no leaks.
Sprayed soap solution on flared connection to stove-no leak
Sprayed soap solution on connection to heater-no leak.
Sprayed soap solution on connection to water heater-no leak.

There is no odor in camper and propane gas detector has never gone off.

I'm not sure where to look next. Can the gas solenoid valves in the hot water heater or furnace leak?

It is taking about 3-4 days to lose 30 lbs of propane.

Thansks,
Drew
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
2009 FR Wildcat 27RL

I'm losing propane and can't figure out from where.

Replaced all flexible hoses and two regulators-there is a 30 PSI regulator on driver's side tank and a 2 stage regulator on pax side tank area.

Sprayed soapy solution on all hard fittings-no leaks.
Sprayed soap solution on flared connection to stove-no leak
Sprayed soap solution on connection to heater-no leak.
Sprayed soap solution on connection to water heater-no leak.

There is no odor in camper and propane gas detector has never gone off.

I'm not sure where to look next. Can the gas solenoid valves in the hot water heater or furnace leak?

It is taking about 3-4 days to lose 30 lbs of propane.

Thansks,
Drew
That's a lot . I would think you would smell it at that rate. Check the regulators. BBQ fitting if you have one. Then check all the piping, leaks are not always at the brass fitting . you may want to get a gas sniffer if the soap and water doesn't show up anything . You would smell if the gas valves on the h/w/h , furnace , refrigerator were leaking that much . check the tanks themselves . have you done a leak down test ?
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #3

that is allot of propane to loose in a short time I'm very surprised you can't smell it. follow your propane lines from the tanks back along the frame and check the black pipe for leaks at the couplers and connections where copper is run to your furnace and water heater you may have to drop some underbelly. Let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #4

Check this IF you have squirrels in your area: The flexible line after the regulator(s) that goes back under the unit could possibly have a small hole in it from squirrels eating the rubber outer layer. I had to patch my main line twice this year due to squirrels eating the hose. My hose is 12 feet long and I could not find one anywhere. A local LP shop called one of their suppliers and could have the hose made up for me at $212, NOT. I cut out the bad section, used brass couplers that fit inside the hose and hose clamps. I then covered the hose with a length of washing machine discharge hose. For some reason those pesky varmints don't like that washing machine discharge hose and have left it alone which is fine with me.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #5

Already ran and checked for leaks with soapy water solution on black pipe and where it connects to copper piping for appliances.

Flexible hose from regulator to black pipe was replaced as all other flexible hosing was replaced.

FWIW, used yellow gas tape on all fittings. No leaks that I can tell.

Used about 4 pounds of propane last weekend camping, came back Sunday night and Monday morning, tank was almost empty.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

Will check the tank itself and use another tank. It is possible the tank is leaking and I didn't think to check it. Thanks for the tip.

Tags
gas, leak