Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

Surveyor propane line question

Hi,
I just got a 2017 Forest River Surveyor 243RBS. This one has the outside kitchen. It comes with an Aussie brand slide out grill. There's a separate hose to connect the grill to the propane line under the trailer. What I found is the connection (junction) under the trailer has a very small amount of voltage running thru it. I could feel a little tingle thru my fingers on the brass hose end. I hooked up a meter and that registered the voltage as well. I'm attaching a pic to show the connection. The arrow shows where the voltage was registered.
Is this normal or is something not grounded properly. Thanks for any help.
Todd
Attached Images

Todd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #2

If you are hooked to shore power you may consider disconnecting until you find the reason for the voltage thru the frame or propane lines. here is a video that talks about the dangers of this there are several on youtube Let the forum know what you find.

sorry forgot to add it earlier
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #3

Is it A.C. or DC? Where you tested I suspect if you disconnect the line to the grill, you may still read something at the block.

In any case, I wouldn't use the grill til you get it sorted out.
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Team

We keep a great article by the same Mike Sokol (in the above video) as a sticky at the top of our electrical subforum.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-rv-89191.html

And to answer your questions... No, it's not normal and yes, you most likely may have some kind of compromised ground. Mike explains such and what to look for in the link above.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the advice and video. I won't use the grill until my dealer can look at it.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Team

I suspect it has nothing to do with the propane line and that the entire chassis will check the same. Just happens the brass fitting is connected to the frame and is a clean connection (no paint or pdr coating) between you and earth gnd. Also you are pushing on it so you make a better connection to your skin.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1964 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice and video. I won't use the grill until my dealer can look at it.
Todd, if you read the links or watched the videos, you may not want to use the RV (not just the grill) until you find out the root cause of the shock. This kinda needs to be a priority.

As Mike Sokol explains, you can easily get a non-contact voltage tester and check other metal areas of the RV for voltage.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Surveyor propane line question

Hi Todd,

I agree with wmtire, I wouldn’t use the trailer at all until it is fixed. I have a 2016 243RBS with electrical issues that keep melting all the plastics on the roof (tv antenna, air conditioning cover, and vent covers). My current tv antenna plastic has a hole burnt through the top center. Right now, I have it disconnected from shore power and the battery is disconnected. No power to it at all.

Please let us know what the cause is. Good luck.
209surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
D W

Sure sounds like a reversed neutral somewhere and/or a miss-wired GFCI, i.e. "line" hooked to "load". At any rate, a "qualified" electrician needs to take a look at it ASAP!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #10

Here's what I did so far...I disconnected shore power and battery power. Trailer has NO power going to it. Still there's a small amount of current at the propane junction boxes. As far as I know there's nothing on board that stores power. The current is so low it barely registers on a meter. Also I wet 2 fingers and touched the "hot" area. Didn't feel a thing. I guess this is what they mean by "electrical gremlins" lol. Talked to dealer. He's never heard of this anomaly in his 20 years of service. Bringing in trailer to have them diagnose it. As an afterthought, does the trailer brake breakaway switch have a battery inside? It's mounted on the trailer frame near the propane lines. Maybe that's not well grounded?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:58 AM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1964 View Post
Here's what I did so far...I disconnected shore power and battery power. Trailer has NO power going to it. Still there's a small amount of current at the propane junction boxes. As far as I know there's nothing on board that stores power. The current is so low it barely registers on a meter. Also I wet 2 fingers and touched the "hot" area. Didn't feel a thing. I guess this is what they mean by "electrical gremlins" lol. Talked to dealer. He's never heard of this anomaly in his 20 years of service. Bringing in trailer to have them diagnose it. As an afterthought, does the trailer brake breakaway switch have a battery inside? It's mounted on the trailer frame near the propane lines. Maybe that's not well grounded?
The break-a-way switch operates off of the main batteries. If you've disconnected the batteries then the switch has no power. You mention a small amount of current? Can the voltage or amperage be measured? Is it DC voltage? It may very well be what you're experiencing is a Piezo-Electric Effect. It happens when two dissimilar metals are applied together under mechanical stress.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:01 AM   #12

Start with both electric systems on. Unplug the AC shore power. Does it go away? If not unplug the DC fuses one at a time and check the hoses. If it goes away after unplugging the AC, plug it back in and turn off one breaker at a time (leave them off as you go.) and see if you find one that controls the problem.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, surveyor