Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Switched to Quick Connects for Coleman Roadtrip Grill

So I have been using the Heater buddy hose for a few years to hook my Coleman Road Trip Grill to a larger 20lb cylinder. But that meant I either needed to bring separate cylinder (which I always forgot) or hook up to the second cylinder up front. Now I use one tank at a time so when one runs out I know (do not use the auto switch).

This weekend I ran out of propane in the first tank and thought... I've been using the second tank for the last year for the grill, how much propane is in it? So that was it... It was time to make the switch to use the built in quick connect. BUT, I still want to be able to use the smaller 1lb cylinders to keep things portable. It was actually pretty easy, cost about $50 with everything had on Amazon.

PARTS:
Forged Reducing Street Elbow, 1/4" Female Pipe x 1/8" Male Pipe
Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Forged Reducing Street Elbow, 1/4" Female Pipe x 1/8" Male Pipe: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Camco 59853 Propane Quick Connect Kit - Valve & Full Flow Plug
Amazon.com: Camco 59853 Propane Quick Connect Kit - Valve & Full Flow Plug: Automotive

LA-CO 44094 Slic-Tite PTFE Gas Line Pipe Thread Tape
http://www.amazon.com/44094-Slic-Tit..._detailpages00

Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick-Connect Hose
Amazon.com: Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick-Connect Hose: Automotive

90 Degree Barstock Street Elbow, 1/4" Male Pipe x 1/4" Female Pipe
Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Barstock Street Elbow, 1/4" Male Pipe x 1/4" Female Pipe: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Reducing Hex Head Bushing, 1/4" NPT Male X 1/8" NPT Female
Parker Brass Pipe Fitting, Reducing Hex Head Bushing, 1/4" NPT Male X 1/8" NPT Female: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I had two options, use the one regulator or buy a second. I opted for using the original regulator to save the need to carry extra stuff. All the threads on the Coleman regulators are proprietary so I have been told. EXCEPT for the threads on the connection at the brass end to the chromed steel tube. It is 1/8" NPT. The quick connects are 1/4" NPT so this is why the need for the bushings and fittings from 1/8 to 1/4.

Disassemble of the regulator was pretty easy. It has VERY small wrench slots but none of my wrenches would grab the slots so I used a pair of needle nose Vise Grips.

**There is a little check valve in there with a spring when it is unscrewed so keep a hand on it. **

I did not reinstall the check valve, it is there to keep the regulator closed if it is unscrewed from the grill with a propane tank installed. The new set up uses a 1/4 turn valve for the one off as you will see. But I will keep it just in case.

Once the regulator was taken apart it was just a matter of putting all the fittings together how I wanted them. All connection are wrapped in yellow GAS tape, not the white Teflon stuff... On a side note, I actually only ordered one roll and they send a pack of 12 for the price of one... Not sure what I will do with 11 extra rolls!

I do have the regulator put together this way for a reason, if the small bottle is used it still faces the same direction it had when stock. What I an referring to is the 1/4" 90 at the female quick connect. It is FACING and parallel to the Coleman regulator tank opening. It also allows the metal hook (used to support the bottle) on the grill to help hold the weight of the new regulator setup and weight of the bottle still. It is a bot tough to see but in the last photo with the bottle in it you can see the hook supporting the setup.

Last thing check for leaks and go grill something! I have read there will be a slight loss of pressure (aka BTU's) by doing this as Coleman claims they allow MORE gas pressure than the low pressure regulator on a trailer does. I dunno, mine would get 600 with the stock setup so I can live with a loss of a few BTU's. I tested the grill in the yard and everything worked great. This weekend it will get a test at Hershey so I will report back.

Any questions let me know! ENJOY!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #2

Thanks so much for posting this! I need to replace my barbq soon, and wanted a flexible (hook to quick connect on trailer or portable tank) option!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Good deal. I've been looking at options. I like being able to use the trailer bottles, but hate the grills that come with them (I just tossed the one that came with my current trailer after our last trip in it last week ). I'll probably have a brand new one to sell in a few weeks
Old 05-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Nice idea to add the flexibility of using a bottle. Our Roadtrip never leaves the trailer so I have just the QD connection for it I did 2 or 3 years ago I think. I would never have another grill that does not make use of the trailers onboard gas.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

SUPER...

thanks for posting all the components

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

Great write up!
I did the same thing last year for our Roadtrip and our Weber Q100.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Glad it could help. There seemed to have been a few threads lately on how to do it looking at a 4 year old youtube video. Figure this is not a video (face for radio and the voice for sign language) so I'd put all the part in, which also seemed to be lacking.

True test will this weekend at Hershey to see how she grills!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

Did something similar (with out the ability to use the bottles) to our Road Trip 3 years ago, never had any trouble with the grill not getting hot enough. Had to buy a new Road Trip this year, so now I have the new regulator and can use bottles if needed.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #9

thanks again doc73...

I went right to amazon, ordered the parts, got them today and have built the adapter...

taking the parts out of the box and looking at them, reminded me of why I don't do plumbing! I had to look up this post again to get it put together right.

Give me a logical computer to figure out... that I can do!

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #10

BTW,
will I need that spring I removed and you show in your last photo if I hook to a 1# can?

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

I left it off. It's purpose is to keep the propane from free flowing if you leave the 1lbs cylinder on the regulator and un screw the brass part off the grill. Without the part (think it as a tire valve stem) the propane will free flow until empty. The female quick connect has this built in and it also has a shut off. It will not hurt anything if put back in though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

I did not think of doing a better job of showing the actual assembly, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Used the grill for the first time on the quick connect of the RV. No issues grilling up my burgers so all is good (as were the burgers)!!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB