Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
Is the fridge suppose to stay as cold on gas as it is on electric?
My fridge actually stays colder on propane as well.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond Package
2016 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7L SR5 4x4
larrys2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
I let mine run on propane while traveling. I was told by the dealership that it was illegal to do this in Washington State. I guess I am just an old scofflaw.

2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
I always have my fridge online when on the road. Maybe just me but seems it's not as cold when getting setup at next destination. Flame is on.
Jim and Sherri Brown
2013 Silverado 2500 6.6 DuraMax
2012 Sabre 34REQS6
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Avan View Post
Hello all

I have a question about traveling and the refrigerator.........

I need to keep it running on my Surveyor 226 TT

So dos the propane need to on when I going from point A to point B for the refrigerator to function or will it run off the electrical from my truck ?

Basic ? I guess, however this is my maiden voyage.......

I'm guessing that your fridge is a two way (propane/AC) and not three way (propane/AC/12V).....meaning it can't run on 12V.

I leave my fridge to "auto" which means it defaults to 120V, but, when the plug is pulled for travel, the propane kicks on. As others have indicated, propane setting seems to be colder.
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
Site Team
Originally Posted by cronek28 View Post
I was interested in how you guys would chime in on running propane while traveling.

I haven't, but thought about it on long trips especially our trip to Yellowstone with a 2 and 3 year old (lots of milk) when traveling 10 plus hours some days. We packed a cooler with ice to be safe but the frig always stayed pretty cool. On the flip side I've never heard of anyone having one blow up from a gas problem, but that would really put a damper on the trip
Warning, Thread Hijack incoming!

Let me know how that trip goes. So far I've only done under 4 hour trips with the 3 and 4 year olds. I'd like to do some farther trips but the DW doesn't think the kids are up to it.

Hijack over, we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum:

To the OP, we run on propane all the time to keep the fridge cold and have never had an issue. Mind you, around here I can avoid any tunnels (there's only one) so I don't have that worry.

The way I look at it, I can either run the fridge on propane, or I need to make room in the beer cooler for everything that normally goes in the fridge. And making room in the beer cooler is just not acceptable.
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
I'm guessing that your fridge is a two way (propane/AC) and not three way (propane/AC/12V).....meaning it can't run on 12V.

I leave my fridge to "auto" which means it defaults to 120V, but, when the plug is pulled for travel, the propane kicks on. As others have indicated, propane setting seems to be colder.
Be careful leaving it on auto. What can happen because your tow vehicle charges the battery on the trailer. I have found some people running on auto, forgetting to turn on gas, and running the battery on trailer and tow vehicle to empty if they park for a few hours etc....
2011 Coachmen 17RBX (Hybrid) Dual Axle
Camped 2013 - 20 days
Camped 2014 - 23 days
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
Like others, I run mine on Auto and let it switch to propane when going down the road. Even when we had the 3 way in the popup I would keep it on propane, as propane works much better on these gas absorption refrigerators.

As far as the battery running flat, that only really is a concern on the 3 way fridge. The 12 volt required to keep a 2 way running on gas is fairly low. I can run my fridge for a full week in storage without running the group 24 (small battery) flat. It is run down pretty low, but not dead. I can't imagine sitting for a few hours, or even a day being a real issue unless you have very unhealthy batteries on the trailer and the Tow rig.
ST Williamson
Current TV:'14 F350 Lariat CrewCab, 4x4 Short Bed SRW Diesel w/ Pullrite 2700 (16K)
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #18
Originally Posted by masarost View Post

Always check your RV manual. Most will tell you not to run down the road with the propane on.

I've had two travel trailers and now a motorhome. Both Norcold and Dometic refrigerators. I have read every word of the manuals and never seen this. The whole idea of the design of these refrigerators is that they can be used while traveling. I've even been in a crash that rolled our trailer over, ripped the propane tanks off the front (they were open and refrigerator was on) and no fire or explosion. The safety valves on the tanks shut them off. Only a puncture to the tank would be a problem--and that would be a problem whether tanks were on or off.

I travel with refrigerator on.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #19
Yup, mine stays on while going down the road. No problems at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
shagginwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #20
Site Team
Found in our FAQ area cuz this is certainly a Frequently Asked Question!

POLL-- Do you run with your LP on or off

Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote