Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Want to connect 17" Blackstone Griddle to TT propane tanks

I have a 17" Blackstone griddle which I love. However, it uses 1 lb propane tanks (which I do not love).

My TT has a quick connect fitting for adding propane accessories. I had this professionally installed.

Does anyone know what I need to connect my Blackstone griddle to my TT propane quick connect?
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

You will /should contact the Professional to answer that "If" they used something besides the Factory propane outlet! The Factory outlet uses the Reduced PSI from your Regulated system,that causes issues with Most Portable Propane add ons! Youroo!!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #3

I have one too. Let me know if you figure out what's needed to do this.

In the meantime.........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Site Team

The quick connect fitting is on the low pressure side of the regulator and the griddle takes high pressure gas, so it's not easy to connect the griddle to the RV's propane.

You are lucky that it has an external regulator, so if it lowers the pressure from bottle pressure to 11" WC, then you could remove the regulator outlet pipe and connect it to a hose that would connect to the quick connect. Sometimes they mark the outlet pressure on the top of the regulator.

If you can post a picture of the top and bottom of the regulator, we can tell you if it's possible.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #5

Attaching a low pressure Grill to Low pressure quick connect in TT

If your propane outlet is mounted on the TT with a quick connect on the low pressure side of the TT regulators at the tank, you can buy a propane hose with the male end of the quick connect on the hose and a female quick connect on the other end. Remove the 1 lb bottle connector and regulator from the grill and install another male quick connect to the end of the gas pipe on the grill where the regulator was connected. Now, when you are ready to grill something, simply connect the hose to the TT quick connect with it's quick connect and connect the grill to the other end of the hose via its quick connect on the grill. turn on the gas supply at the TT, turn on the grill and vent the air from the hose and light the grill. Happy grilling! ..... Swampy

BTW, for the sake of safety, be sure to check for leaks at all hose connections with soapy water. Also when done grilling remove and stow the hose to keep road debris from snagging the hose and giving you bigger headaches.
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
I have a 17" Blackstone griddle which I love. However, it uses 1 lb propane tanks (which I do not love).

My TT has a quick connect fitting for adding propane accessories. I had this professionally installed.

Does anyone know what I need to connect my Blackstone griddle to my TT propane quick connect?
If our current regulator is integrated into the fixture that accepts the 1 lb propane tanks then you will have to install a flow control valve. The quick-connect on your TT is already regulated to low pressure. You can't have two regulators on that line. Not enough pressure to actuate the second regulator. Without a flow control valve you will not be able to adjust the grill flame. It will be full-flow all the time. Also, when putting any gas fittings together, use only yellow gas tape.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

Anybody get this figured out? specifically for the Blackstone 17" table top griddle to connect it to the quick connect on the RV?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #8

Not trying to steal thread.........but I have this same griddle. I have used it a bit but not much. Needs a good scouring. If anyone wants to buy it, holler, and I'll bring it to FROG. Too heavy to tote if no one is interested.

I don't know any more than D W said on connecting. BUT, you can refill those 1 lb bottles from a 20/30 lb tank.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

I will add more to this (with pics) when I get everything completed. Just wanted to give a quick update for those interested, that I made some progress on this.

I had been searching the internet, and was unable to find the information I needed for the blackstone griddle, to attach this to my travel trailer quick connect fitting. However, I did finally make a break through. I don't have the information with me, but here is the quick version. The good news is that there is a part out there that will work

Step1 - Turn over the griddle (remove the griddle cooking surface first...), unscrew the bracket that holds the black gas tube (I'm sure there is a name). There is one brass colored screw holding a brass colored bracket.
Step2 - After removing the gas tube, you have to remove the brass fitting at the end (the fitting that ultimately connects to the 1lb propane cans). This was actually quite difficult. I needed to place the tube into a bench vice (without applying too much pressure) in order to unscrew the brass fitting.
Step3 - (This will need updating when I have the information in front of me). At the hardware store I bought several "pieces", just guessing based on how the thread looked, and did end up buying a fixture that fit into the "gas tube".

I realize this list of very incomplete and thus useless to those that are trying to do the same thing. I will add more later when I get some pics and everything finished. I didn't intend to go to the hardware store when I was out and about, or I would have had the "tube" and other necessary pieces with me. The hard part was finding the piece for the end of the tube, and I found that. I removed the male quick connect piece from my old grill (that came with the RV), so now I just need to find a fitting to connect the tube to the quick connect male fitting, and, in theory, I should have it complete. I will also "test" a few male quick connect fittings, just in case others don't have that one from the "old grill" like I did.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I will add more to this (with pics) when I get everything completed. Just wanted to give a quick update for those interested, that I made some progress on this.

I had been searching the internet, and was unable to find the information I needed for the blackstone griddle, to attach this to my travel trailer quick connect fitting. However, I did finally make a break through. I don't have the information with me, but here is the quick version. The good news is that there is a part out there that will work

Step1 - Turn over the griddle (remove the griddle cooking surface first...), unscrew the bracket that holds the black gas tube (I'm sure there is a name). There is one brass colored screw holding a brass colored bracket.
Step2 - After removing the gas tube, you have to remove the brass fitting at the end (the fitting that ultimately connects to the 1lb propane cans). This was actually quite difficult. I needed to place the tube into a bench vice (without applying too much pressure) in order to unscrew the brass fitting.
Step3 - (This will need updating when I have the information in front of me). At the hardware store I bought several "pieces", just guessing based on how the thread looked, and did end up buying a fixture that fit into the "gas tube".

I realize this list of very incomplete and thus useless to those that are trying to do the same thing. I will add more later when I get some pics and everything finished. I didn't intend to go to the hardware store when I was out and about, or I would have had the "tube" and other necessary pieces with me. The hard part was finding the piece for the end of the tube, and I found that. I removed the male quick connect piece from my old grill (that came with the RV), so now I just need to find a fitting to connect the tube to the quick connect male fitting, and, in theory, I should have it complete. I will also "test" a few male quick connect fittings, just in case others don't have that one from the "old grill" like I did.
Very similar to the Coleman Road-Trip grille conversion. This pic may help you out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grille lp QD.jpg
Views:	2147
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	145887  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

put an acme nut Y adapter on the tank. hook one outlet to the existing trailer propane hose that went to the tank. buy a new hose with an acme nut on one end and the 1lb fitting on the other. hook it to the other output on the Y adapter and screw the 1lb fitting into the grill where the 1 lb bottler would go. or if you don't want the y adapter just disconnect the existing trailer hose and hook the new hose right to the cylinder and the other end to the grill
Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #12

I finally got the grill put together on Mon. On Tues I was able to bring it over to the storage yard, connect it to the quick connect on my trailer, and it appears to work as expected. I was able to connect it to the trailer, light the flame, control the flame with the griddle knob (high, low, and everything in between). I was going to post pics, but I am completely unfamiliar with how to do that on here. It isn't as simple as going to the file on your computer and selecting it, etc. Anyways, here is what you need:
4338281 JMF 3/8in x 1/4in Compression Connector (4338281) - Brass Compression Fittings - Ace Hardware
4338505 JMF 1/4in 90 degree Elbow in Yellow Brass (4338505) - Brass Pipe Fittings - Ace Hardware
and
A male quick connect from Mr Heater (it will be a package that provides the male end and the female end with the shut off valve, I didn't use the female end, because the trailer already had that)

4338281, remove the nut from the item, you don't need that. Put yellow gas tape on the thread (you just exposed the thread when you removed the nut), and screw that into the gas tube.
Re-install the tube back on the grill, and then put yellow tape on the exposed thread of 4338281. Now screw 4338505 onto 4338281. Add yellow tape to the threads of the male quick connect, screw that onto 4338505, and youre done. Simple as that. Note, for the quick connect, there are two types. One screws "onto" a threaded pipe, the other screws "into" a threaded pipe. You want the one that screws onto the pipe (I apologize I don't have a link to that)

Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I finally got the grill put together on Mon. On Tues I was able to bring it over to the storage yard, connect it to the quick connect on my trailer, and it appears to work as expected. I was able to connect it to the trailer, light the flame, control the flame with the griddle knob (high, low, and everything in between). I was going to post pics, but I am completely unfamiliar with how to do that on here. It isn't as simple as going to the file on your computer and selecting it, etc. Anyways, here is what you need:
4338281 JMF 3/8in x 1/4in Compression Connector (4338281) - Brass Compression Fittings - Ace Hardware
4338505 JMF 1/4in 90 degree Elbow in Yellow Brass (4338505) - Brass Pipe Fittings - Ace Hardware
and
A male quick connect from Mr Heater (it will be a package that provides the male end and the female end with the shut off valve, I didn't use the female end, because the trailer already had that)

4338281, remove the nut from the item, you don't need that. Put yellow gas tape on the thread (you just exposed the thread when you removed the nut), and screw that into the gas tube.
Re-install the tube back on the grill, and then put yellow tape on the exposed thread of 4338281. Now screw 4338505 onto 4338281. Add yellow tape to the threads of the male quick connect, screw that onto 4338505, and youre done. Simple as that. Note, for the quick connect, there are two types. One screws "onto" a threaded pipe, the other screws "into" a threaded pipe. You want the one that screws onto the pipe (I apologize I don't have a link to that)
Are you saying 4338281 screws on to the blackstone directly and that what makes the connection to the grill?
manderson2228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 PM   #14

Name:	IMG_2813.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	146709

The part circled in red is removed from the black tube, and replaced with 4338281

Old 07-31-2017, 11:45 PM   #15

Name:	IMG_2809.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	146710Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2808.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	146711Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2797.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	146712Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	146713

Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #16
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Not trying to steal thread.........but I have this same griddle. I have used it a bit but not much. Needs a good scouring. If anyone wants to buy it, holler, and I'll bring it to FROG. Too heavy to tote if no one is interested.

I don't know any more than D W said on connecting. BUT, you can refill those 1 lb bottles from a 20/30 lb tank.
Don't scour it! It needs to be seasoned, should be black/dark brown. This prevents sticking, just like the griddles in restaurants. Check the documentation on it.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #17

I have a blackstone 17 inch grill, love it? But the 1 lb tanks really stink!!
I took the black tube off the bottom, and your very right!! That brass fitting is REALLY!!
Tight. Thanks for information, I shall try to unscrew the brass fitting out, and put mine in!
I hope the black tube has a NPT?
Leasureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #18

Tank conversion

I just bought the 17 inch blackstone griddle. Love it except for the 1 lb tanks. Why can't you just get the 1 lb to 20 lb adapter hose?
Banditt2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #19

17 inch griddle

Ok I got all the brass fittings for my 17 inch
Blackstone griddle. I plan to install it next week, and all my 1 lb troubles will END!!
It cost me & 15.00 for all the fittings!
Well worth the time n money!!'

As you can see in the picture!
NONE of the fitting are tight yet,!
Like I always said?
If you want something done?
Do it yourself!
And best part?? I have a 0-20 lb variable
Regulator, on my 20lb bottle.time to get down and cook!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	673.4 KB
ID:	150199  
Leasureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:10 AM   #20

Look on amazon they have kits to do what you want. It plumbs in between your rv tank and the regulator. Camco 59123 propane brass tee with 4 port and 5' and 12' hoses. Works great!
Scotty33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, propane, tank