Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #1

Water Heater leaking propane

I arrived at my campsite with my 2013 Cataline.The Dealership did a substantial reskin job over the winter due to hail damage. When I opened the propane tanks it became readily apparent, from the gas smell that the techs had removed a gas supply hose to the water heater and not reconnected. We have no heat now as I have the gas turned off at the bottles. I dont dare run the furnace. Is there a shutoff for the gas line specific to the water heater? I would like to at least have some heat...
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
I arrived at my campsite with my 2013 Cataline.The Dealership did a substantial reskin job over the winter due to hail damage. When I opened the propane tanks it became readily apparent, from the gas smell that the techs had removed a gas supply hose to the water heater and not reconnected. We have no heat now as I have the gas turned off at the bottles. I dont dare run the furnace. Is there a shutoff for the gas line specific to the water heater? I would like to at least have some heat...
I have never seen one yet. Why can't you connect the gas line back up to the water heater?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #3

Glen,I hope he is OK,after he posted at 3am? He needs to take it back to that dealer,and have it Fixed. I think he should go to a Safe place while the dealer works on it also! This could have been a Very Bad post,and not by Him? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #4

It also brings to mind why the (Propane Safety valve) didn't shut off a direct propane Leak? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #5

Very true youroo on both post. To be honest I think I would be looking for a different dealer myself.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Propane safety valves shut off hi flow but not entirely. They still allow small
amount when tripped in the "safe" position.

My gas grill will occasionally trip the in-tank safety valve if I spin the
valve handle ON too fast. I can still light the grill but I get a low flame.
Also have had the same thing in the trailer. Stove burner will light but it's
low flame.

A dealer who left a gas line open is not a dealer I'd want messing with my rig!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

Thanks to all for the quick responses! I cant re-connect as there seems to be a piece missing. There is no gas line coming out of trailer into the compartment outside rear of the TT. Not that familiar with this heater but was hoping there was a gas shutoff valve at the rear of the trailer. Was also wondering if gas only flows to the heater unit when the
Tank heater is turned on??
Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Thanks to all for the quick responses! I cant re-connect as there seems to be a piece missing. There is no gas line coming out of trailer into the compartment outside rear of the TT. Not that familiar with this heater but was hoping there was a gas shutoff valve at the rear of the trailer. Was also wondering if gas only flows to the heater unit when the
Tank heater is turned on??
no shut off
All lines are full of propane pressure regardless of device or item.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #9

You are 100% correct about the shutoffs. I am including a photo for educational purposes for those still not 100% sure.... The gas line was pushed back during repairs, through the heater panel under the bed compartment which also houses the water heater etc. Best access is by removing the mattress and plywood base(screwed down) and pushing the line back out through the rubber liner in the photo. It was re-attached , checked and all is fine. Line pressure check for leaks and system checked out fine...

Since there are no shutoffs between appliances and the propane bottles I recommend checking this connection on a regular basis!

Many apologies from the repair shop......

Ready for the May long weekend!

mtnbound
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	52307  
Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #10

Looks like they pulled the copper line back and has the cap you need. If you can locate the loose line underneath maybe you can put it back through the hole and connect it.

I hope!

Sorry, day late and dollar short!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

Mtnbound, Glad you gotten taken care of. Have a great season of camping "Happy Trails To You"

Tags
heater, leak, propane, water, water heater