Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Angry Water Heater Won't Stay Lit

I am having a HORRIBLE experience with my 2012 FS2612 Stealth toy hauler...

The latest issue is the water heater. It has the electric ignition and, if it lights, will only stay lit for a moment. It's freezing out & it's full of water. (had the crazy idea that Spring was here) Thermocouple?

I will NEVER recommend this brand to anyone.
And STILL waiting on a screen...
NewRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not a lot to go on....

Model of water heater?
Is it gas and electric ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRodeo View Post
I am having a HORRIBLE experience with my 2012 FS2612 Stealth toy hauler...

The latest issue is the water heater. It has the electric ignition and, if it lights, will only stay lit for a moment. It's freezing out & it's full of water. (had the crazy idea that Spring was here) Thermocouple?

I will NEVER recommend this brand to anyone.
And STILL waiting on a screen...
Have you purged the air from your propane lines? Turn your stove inside on and make sure it stays lit first. This will help purge air from the line.

You have the propane tanks open, and made sure they are delivering? Again, turn the stove on for this.

If you are turning the D.S.I. switch on inside the trailer, you are keeping the switch on after the burner lights?

Check this link and see if it can help any?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327989

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Site Team

One more thing to add:

If the DSI fails to light the propane after a few attempts, it locks the system down so you don't have a bunch of propane floating around. You'll have to turn the DSI switch off, then back on again to start the process over.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies!!

The propane furnace right next to the propane water heater is working. So, I know there's gas there.
The switch is left on for it to run, but the DSI error light comes on next to it when it fails to stay lit. It tries a few times and then just quits. I turn off the switch, wait, and repeat.

I will look for that 'hidden switch'. Good possibility.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Team

OK, two more things to add:

You are sure you don't have the electric element (if equipped) turned on already. If so, you may already have hot water, thus the propane doesn't need to turn itself on.

You can check to see if you have hot water by opening the pressure relief valve near the top of the water heater, after you access it form the outside. If hot water does come out the pressure relief valve, but not inside the trailer........you most likely still have your winter bypass valve(s) set, and will need to correct that common oversight.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!!

The propane furnace right next to the propane water heater is working. So, I know there's gas there.
The switch is left on for it to run, but the DSI error light comes on next to it when it fails to stay lit. It tries a few times and then just quits. I turn off the switch, wait, and repeat.

I will look for that 'hidden switch'. Good possibility.
The hidden switch is for the electric heating element, and you must be plugged into shore power for it to work. It is separate from the propane part, and wouldn't have any effect on the propane side....unless it's like I stated above.

If you do have the electric heating element, you might can at least make that part work to have hot water while figuring out the problem with the propane side.

While you're outside the trailer looking for a hidden electric switch, it would help like Turbo asked, if you could find the make/model of the water heater to let us know.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hidden switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130502_185559.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	29494
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Has this water heater workrd correct before on propane? Spiders are known to clog up the small orifice tube, thus not letting the propane system work.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #10

Thumbs up

GOT IT !

I tried many of the above suggestions with no avail. This morning I called Levi at the dealer & he suggested cleaning the igniter/sensor. It did't look bad, but I took a little wire brush to it. In doing so, I found that the orange wire to the igniter/sensor wasn't attached properly, even though it appeared to be. It was just enough to do ignition, but not enough to carry the message back to the control board. The wire boot was on properly, but I hadn't checked the wire itself.

I adjusted the spade connector and it's running.

Thank you everyone.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
GOT IT !

I tried many of the above suggestions with no avail. This morning I called Levi at the dealer & he suggested cleaning the igniter/sensor. It did't look bad, but I took a little wire brush to it. In doing so, I found that the orange wire to the igniter/sensor wasn't attached properly, even though it appeared to be. It was just enough to do ignition, but not enough to carry the message back to the control board. The wire boot was on properly, but I hadn't checked the wire itself.

I adjusted the spade connector and it's running.

Thank you everyone.
Saweet !
Happy happy happy!

Have fun!