Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #1

Well I'm stumped.

I have a 12 Prime Time Crusader 260RLD. The problem is the small red propane regulator on the passenger side leaks out of the hole when I open the valve on the bottle. Ok no biggie. Replaced it. Same thing on the new one. Leaks out of the hole when I open the bottle. So I checked the 3 hoses very carefully for cracks or holes etc. so it's got to be the big regulator with the check valve right? I replaced the big regulator and the passenger side regulator still leaks when I open the bottle. I've opened the valve very slowly,opened it quickly,does not matter. What else is there? Anybody have any ideas?
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #2

If there is propane coming out of the vent, then the diaphragm must be ruptured. I'd try a third.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
Old Enough to Know Better

Go to your local LP dealer and get a RegO 597FA series or a Fisher 67 Series. much better quality. RegO has a 10 year warranty.
These are adjustable units but you can set them at 10 or 15 psi then lock them down with the nut on the handle.
Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

That regulator shouldn't leak.
As odd as it sounds, I suspect you got a second bad one.
Only other thing I could think of is if it's plumbed backwards.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #5

Just out of curiosity, check to make sure the propane tank is not overfilled. Burned out my regulator that way.

Good Luck, please let us know what the problem was!

dave
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

I had thought about an overfilled tank or even maybe the tank was bad. Right now I have 1 full bottle and the other is less than half. The regulator still leaks. I've even tried taking the hoses from the bottle to the tanks and switched sides. One thing has changed though. Now I can't hear the gas coming out of the hole on the regulator but if I open the valve,and put my finger over the hole for a few seconds the pressure builds and I can hear a whoosh when I uncover the hole,if that makes sense. So it's still leaking I just can't hear it.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

spray some soapy water over every thing make sure of where the leak is at by looking for the bubbles. A regulator is going to go bad because of some other influence which is usually an over filled tank because it freezes and cracks the valves. The other reason reason would be physical impact, age is rarely the cause. Ohh, here is a thought....are you cross threaded? I really don't know what else to tell you, other than weigh the full tank, the stamp on top will tell you what it should weigh full. Of course if it was full and still leaking the weight may be ok, but the regulator is already shot. Take the regulator to an RV dealer and see if they will let you put it on a filled tank to test it? Good Luck I'm kind stumped too!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

An overfilled tank will not cause a regulator to fail. the pressure on the inlet will be the same as its designed for (0 to 250 psi), overfilling a tank will cause the relief valve on the tank to start weeping (approx 200 psi) and to fully open at 250 psi. What it will do is cause it to frost or freeze up do to liquid care over, which will cause it and any other regulators in the system to vent. If you don't see a block of ice or ice around the vent you have a bad regulator, replace it hopefully with a better quality unit.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Well for about the 10th maybe 12th or 13th time I took this all apart again today. I bought a hose with the regulator on the open/close valve. I've replaced the big regulator with the crossover lever. And same result. No gas from the driver side. The regulator (the 3rd new one for the drivers side) is not leaking. Just no gas going across. I've swapped the bottles and both work on the passenger side. Should I be able to blow through the line that crosses over? Well I can't. Only thing I have not replaced.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #10

I have seen hoses collapse internally that could be an issue. If you can get some pictures of what you had and what you have purchased it would be helpful, Also did you install the red regulator in the correct direction of flow? It should have an arrow and it should point from the tank to the main changeover unit.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #11

Sing a nice song while you are working and things will all be better: Whistle while you work, I'm forever blowing bubbles, Tip toe through the tulips with me.

I have a pinpoint propane gas leak detector that helps in most instances.
But it is a tool best used for trouble-shooting, not replacement experiments.

When I write posts I usually listen to Top Gun or Flight of the Valkyries...I think it affects my tone and my mental state.

Always try to remember what the caterpillar said to Alice...or was it the door mouse???
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
I have seen hoses collapse internally that could be an issue. If you can get some pictures of what you had and what you have purchased it would be helpful, Also did you install the red regulator in the correct direction of flow? It should have an arrow and it should point from the tank to the main changeover unit.
The red regulator was what I found first. Replaced it with one that exactly the same thing. Just not red. It leaked as well. Yes I have the in/out correct. That is what has me stumped. so I tried to blow through the line that crosses across the trailer. I can't blow air through it. And of course the dealership does not have a replacement.