Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #21

Why concern yourself with how a manometer works or doesn't work, you already know that you have a leak. I would be more concerned with finding and fixing the leak that you have. Best way to detect a leak is as mentioned already, soapy water solution in a spray bottle, turn the gas on and begin spraying each connection.

Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #22

Had a similar problem on my 2011 Roo. Faint but noticeable gas smell when valves were open, not setting off alarm. Turns out it was the quick disconnect fitting for the outside stove. I think someone had cranked it on too tight and put a hairline crack in the female side of the fitting. Got lucky and narrowed the location by opening the cabinet that contains that hose on the inside and the smell was much stronger. Found and confirmed leak with soapy water! Good luck finding your leak!!

StrangeBird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I take my hat off to you for trying, and for building one, but if you still have questions, take the unit to a propane company and have them check. Propane is nothing to play with, good advice from members, what bothers me is that you didn't know how to read one, also you have additional pressure valves at each appliance such as your gas valve for your water heater, stove and furnace. The 11" you are talking about is the pressure of your main regulator only, you need to read all the manuals for each appliance. Good Luck, and be careful playing with Propane and making adjustments just some advice, did HVAC repair for many years,

I didn't know how to read one because there was directly conflicting information on the internet that I wanted to clarify here. Regardless of knowing how to read one, the manometer served its purpose and identified there is indeed an extremely tiny leak. I have a trip this weekend and do not have time to take it to a service center, most of which are scheduling 6 weeks out at this point. Now that I know I have a leak, I can search for it and maybe tighten it so my trip is not ruined. Otherwise I just shut it off and go electric, losing my hot water and stove. Afterwards I can have it properly serviced and repaired. Heck, I'll even be able to tell them where it is.
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
Why concern yourself with how a manometer works or doesn't work, you already know that you have a leak. I would be more concerned with finding and fixing the leak that you have. Best way to detect a leak is as mentioned already, soapy water solution in a spray bottle, turn the gas on and begin spraying each connection.

Yes, this is the priority now, I agree! Secondary is measuring the regulator pressure output, which I believe may be too high. It has been "singing" during past pre-leak usage.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
I didn't know how to read one because there was directly conflicting information on the internet that I wanted to clarify here. Regardless of knowing how to read one, the manometer served its purpose and identified there is indeed an extremely tiny leak. I have a trip this weekend and do not have time to take it to a service center, most of which are scheduling 6 weeks out at this point. Now that I know I have a leak, I can search for it and maybe tighten it so my trip is not ruined. Otherwise I just shut it off and go electric, losing my hot water and stove. Afterwards I can have it properly serviced and repaired. Heck, I'll even be able to tell them where it is.
A manometer is not going to show you a leak, use soapy water and spray each fitting, I'm not talking about a dealer, I'm talking about a propane company that can check it, normally you just have there people check it, most of them don't even charge you. You might even be smelling bleed off from a regulator, you stated that the detector is not going off inside the unit. Like I said good luck, but propane is nothing to play with. Manometer are used to set pressures not find leaks...just my opinion.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #26

Talking Man-o-meter

I had to check this thread out. I wasn't sure what a manometer was, but I figured I didn't want my wife to have one! She might want a guy that scored higher on the MAN-o-meter!!!
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
A manometer is not going to show you a leak, use soapy water and spray each fitting, I'm not talking about a dealer, I'm talking about a propane company that can check it, normally you just have there people check it, most of them don't even charge you. You might even be smelling bleed off from a regulator, you stated that the detector is not going off inside the unit. Like I said good luck, but propane is nothing to play with. Manometer are used to set pressures not find leaks...just my opinion.
I think you misunderstood. The manometer was used to discover IF there was a leak. There was. The soapy spray is used to discover WHERE there is a leak. I found it!

CLOSURE:
Here are pictures of the leak, it was at the fitting of the range's regulator. To ensure a proper Armageddon (I hear there are folks on here who despise PTFE thread seal tape) I unscrewed the fitting, put some tape on it and screwed it back on. I'll reserve some space after this post for someone to tell me how wrong I am and the reasons why.

The leak just before the range regulator explains why the manometer pressure rose after shutting the tanks off.

After tightening it back together, another round of spray proved the leak was vanquished. The manometer is currently connected at a little over 8" WC (started at 14). I'll let it sit there for a few hours, but I don't expect it to move.

Please don't judge my manometer, the scale is wrong because I had bad info when constructing it!

The weekend is saved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181010_161647018.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	188834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181010_165332614.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	188835  
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mike View Post
I had to check this thread out. I wasn't sure what a manometer was, but I figured I didn't want my wife to have one! She might want a guy that scored higher on the MAN-o-meter!!!
Kinda like the stud finders at Home Depot I was looking at... I must have tried a dozen of them... and none of them worked. Just don't make stuff like they used to.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #29
jkoenig24

In our new, politically correct world, that device may no longer be referred to as a "manometer"

If you start calling it a personometer, it may start giving accurate readings (but in our new "flexible world, who can really say?)

#ThisIsGettingRidiculous!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #30

Propane

Soapy water needs some glycerin also, that will help it stick together and show the smallest of leaks. Yes you do double the reading on a manometer. I have had propane in every house I have owned in the last 45 years.

aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane